User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Truck was making a "Pop Pop Pop" sound while turning...

Well, this is embarrassing. But in the hopes of helping someone else I am here to bare my ignorance for all to read.

As the regulars will know, I bought a brand new 2017 F-250 Platinum 4x4. It was my first real truck (does a Ranger count from 1988?) and first 4-wheel drive I've ever owned. I used the 4-wheel drive on a few occasions and it worked without any issue, though I noted it didn't like to turn sharply and made suspension noises in protest. It had "manually locking hubs" but everything seemed to work fine, so I never messed with them.

So now (for payload reasons) I have a 2017 F-350 DRW Platinum 4x4. It's literally almost exactly the same truck feature-for-feature. I did note, though, that at extreme turning angles the truck's suspension "popped". Almost like my 250 in 4-wheel drive but I had my 350 in 2H. Hmmm, maybe DRWs do this?

So today I'm at the Ford dealer getting my oil and fuel filters changed. I mentioned my concern with the suspension noise. After completing the service, I waited by my vehicle and a service manager walked out to go for a ride with me to listen to the noise. Before we even got in the truck, though, he leaned over and looked into the center of the front wheel. He remarked, "Your hubs are locked. That's probably your issue." I said, "Huh? What? I don't have it in 4 wheel drive!" He smiled that knowing smile of an informed individual speaking to a moron (me) and explained how the system works. Sure enough, I instantly felt the difference. I didn't even need to leave the parking lot. The manager was very gracious and bid me a good day.

So, those of you with Ford 4x4s that are mewling baby owners like myself...check your hubs! If you have no idea what I'm writing about, that's good evidence you need to get educated.

-Howard
    Last edited by howson; 12-05-2018 at 05:18 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had some little mongrels that run loose on my street turn one of them when my truck used to sit outside on the driveway. It felt funny so I checked and found it. I got in the habit of checking them before each trip.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing this Howard. I've owned a bunch of GM trucks and Suburbans over the years. All of them were 4x4 and none of them had manual hubs. They were all push button 4x4. My new F-350 is the only Ford 4x4 truck I've owned (I had a 4x2 F-250 40 years ago). Anyway, I just ran outside to check my hubs. They aren't labeled very clearly but they aren't locked. From the research I did, you only need to manually lock the hubs if the 4x4 switch inside the truck stops working. I'm not sure if that's correct but that's what I read. Kinda confusing for us Chevy guys who never had to mess with hubs.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if the newer Fords are the same but my hubs have two settings “Auto” and “Lock”. I also have the dial on the interior dash for actuating the 4x4 (no shifter like the old days). I keep mine in “Auto” for normal driving conditions 4x2 as this disengages the front hubs/diffential for normal driving. When in the “Auto” setting if I turn the knob in the cab to 4x4 it will actuate the 4x4 and engage the hubs/front differential via a vacuum system from what I am told. If you use it often you will learn that the vacuum system is not exactly a fan of cold weather and that is where the manual locking comes into play. If you are not getting 4x4 engagement with the “Auto” hub setting then you lock them in the “Lock” position manually then you are good to go. If you leave the hubs in the “Lock” position for normal 4x2 dry pavement driving you have the front hubs/diffenential engaged all the time instead of free wheeling which will create clunking noises, typically wear the tires more and eat up more fuel. Sometimes when using 4x4 with the “Auto” setting then disengaging I will get the clunking on turns until I can get into a position to do the obligatory 10’ in reverse which allows the system to disengage same as would be required after manually unlocking the hubs from the “Lock” position. I hope this is as clear as the mud you are using your four wheel drive to get out of!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    Not sure if the newer Fords are the same but my hubs have two settings “Auto” and “Lock”. I also have the dial on the interior dash for actuating the 4x4 (no shifter like the old days). I keep mine in “Auto” for normal driving conditions 4x2 as this disengages the front hubs/diffential for normal driving. When in the “Auto” setting if I turn the knob in the cab to 4x4 it will actuate the 4x4 and engage the hubs/front differential via a vacuum system from what I am told. If you use it often you will learn that the vacuum system is not exactly a fan of cold weather and that is where the manual locking comes into play. If you are not getting 4x4 engagement with the “Auto” hub setting then you lock them in the “Lock” position manually then you are good to go. If you leave the hubs in the “Lock” position for normal 4x2 dry pavement driving you have the front hubs/diffenential engaged all the time instead of free wheeling which will create clunking noises, typically wear the tires more and eat up more fuel. Sometimes when using 4x4 with the “Auto” setting then disengaging I will get the clunking on turns until I can get into a position to do the obligatory 10’ in reverse which allows the system to disengage same as would be required after manually unlocking the hubs from the “Lock” position. I hope this is as clear as the mud you are using your four wheel drive to get out of!
    Thank you--your written words are actually much clearer than the explanation the manager gave me. Now I understand why 4x4 worked on my 250 without messing with the hubs!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always been a fan of external locks on the hubs and was saddened to see them disappear off my Chevy's. It took me many years to trust the "push the button" get 4x4 thing. Makes me nervous but I have had zero issues with it. But as soon as I read pop pop pop while turning I thought "in 4x4". Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRunners View Post
    Mine are the same..Ford calls it ESOF (electronic shift on the fly). However I added another switch to prevent them from engaging in "auto" when I want 2 wheel drive low range which is great for backing a trailer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW, this is what I mean by a confusing label. My hubs are in the "Auto" position here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	16604
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, same thing happened to me when I first picked up our F350. After a few hundred miles, I turned to the all mighty internet and found a thread discussing this. Steering became easier also after I unlocked them. You probably just helped many in your situation.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turn my hubs in and drive a few miles if I haven't been in 4wd for a while. I feel it keeps the hubs lubed. I've been doing this to all 3 Ford 4x4 I've owned for the past 20 years. The trick is to remember to turn them back out.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast