User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard
    I did this last year at the Indiana Rally. The ground was a little soft where we backed into so I pushed the button for 4x4. Unhooked the trailer , got all set up and went to get my second weight at the scales. All was good I pulled strait out of my site and down the road, when I had to make a 90 right turn the darn thing would not move. I thought something was really wrong but it was just operator error as usual.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard you may see a slight increase in fuel mileage as well

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully none of you ran on the pavement too long in 4wd. That's something you never want to do as it is not good for the transfer case.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Hopefully none of you ran on the pavement too long in 4wd. That's something you never want to do as it is not good for the transfer case.
    They weren't really in 4WD, the hubs were locked which means the front drive axles and drive line were turning but without the transfer case engaged the only thing turning there would be the output shaft, no direct connection to the rest of the power train. The reason for not running 4WD (part time 4WD) on (dry) pavement is the differing drive rates between the front and rear which will cause a bind up. No transfer case engagement-no bind up. Just a little wasted fuel.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may need to grease the zerks on the front axle U-joints. Even with the hubs locked, you really should not get any popping or clunking as long as you are in 2WD. There should be no "binding" of the system since the front differential is an open-diff and the transfer case is not engaging the front propeller shaft (in 2WD).
    I run my hubs locked about once a month for 20 miles or so just to "exercise" the front axle. Greasing the u-joints seems to have eliminated the popping I observed (to my horror) the first time I exercised it.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Running a semi with a belly dump full of gravel down Interstate 8 near Yuma once. Another semi passed me. I hit the switch to flash my headlights letting him know he was clear to get back in the right lane. But no, like an idiot I had hit the switch to dump the gravel. I dumped half the load on the Interstate before I realized what I had done. Trucks behind me with broken windshields and chipped paint. Got my butt chewed out and never lived it down. Had to send a crew out to clean up my mess. Walked into the bar after work and my uncle says to the whole bar, "We didn't know you were here. You didn't flash your headlights."

Forgetting to unlock your hubs is a mostly harmless oversight. Dumping half a load of gravel on a freeway is really stupid. Just trying to make you feel better.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worked with a man that told me a story of when he was driving a dump truck and what happened one day when he stopped for gas. Had to lift the bed to get to the gas filler neck to put the gas in. Yep he got distracted and forgot to put the dump bed back down. Took off driving down the street and found out when he came to a bridge with the the dump bed halfway up. Said it wasn't pretty as the bed kept going up as he was driving.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12