User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    I personally like to camp in the state campgrounds in the Adirondacks, large sites with plenty of space between you and your neighbors. There are some limitations due to our size, but we have pretty much scoped everything out and know what sites we can fit in.

DAN
    DAN,

My dad bought a pop-up (Apache Eagle) when I was 7 or 8 yrs old. Destination: Adirondacks, for years. This was back when the toilets were 6 stalls over a pit in the ground, and the nearest shower was at the laundromat in Inlet. We camped all over, but after a while, settled on 8th Lake. Went to college in Plattsburgh, and some of the holiday rides I caught home really believed the shortest route back to CNY was straight thru the mountains (in snow). Stranded at Big Moose Lodge one January. As a young adult, spent one weekend with a friend and her dog in a tent at 8th Lake. We were visited by bears snuffling around the tent. I kinda miss those days, but it’s gotten so commercial, and NYS has so many rules, regulations, and prohibitions, that it just seems easier to stick to smaller, private campgrounds (with more amenities). Still marvel at the history of the great camps and the old stories about how the area was settled.
    Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great memories Nancy!!
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    DAN,

My dad bought a pop-up (Apache Eagle) when I was 7 or 8 yrs old. Destination: Adirondacks, for years. This was back when the toilets were 6 stalls over a pit in the ground, and the nearest shower was at the laundromat in Inlet. We camped all over, but after a while, settled on 8th Lake. Went to college in Plattsburgh, and some of the holiday rides I caught home really believed the shortest route back to CNY was straight thru the mountains (in snow). Stranded at Big Moose Lodge one January. As a young adult, spent one weekend with a friend and her dog in a tent at 8th Lake. We were visited by bears snuffling around the tent. I kinda miss those days, but it’s gotten so commercial, and NYS has so many rules, regulations, and prohibitions, that it just seems easier to stick to smaller, private campgrounds (with more amenities). Still marvel at the history of the great camps and the old stories about how the area was settled.
    Nancy
    Those are great stories and memories. Funny, I also started camping when my parents bought an Apache popup, the hard sided ones with the orange accents (this was back in the 70's). My dad towed it with a Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon, the ones with the simulated wood paneling on the sides. My dad always told the story on how him and my mom went down to buy some camping gear, tent, lantern, and such so the family could go camping. Came home later that day with the Apache popup and the Vista Cruiser to tow it with! Way too funny. Had some great times and wonderful memories.

I agree, there was a time when the state campgrounds were really restrictive. The hosts were a-holes and seemed to be riding around on their golf carts looking for anything to discipline you for. In recent years there seems to have been a noticeable improvement in the way they run the campgrounds. I think they were getting a lot of complaints for being so overbearing. Used to be that if you ran your generator one minute past the allowed time they would descend upon your site and demand you shut it off. Now, I pretty much run it any time I need to and they pretty much look the other way. Now I have quiet generators and I am not saying that I run them at all hours, just saying that they are not as strict on the rules as in the past. That goes for other things as well. You should really give them a try again, you might be surprised. Besides, you can't beat the price of $25 per night.

DAN

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, for many years, the forest ranger (complete with uniform) manager in charge of 8th Lake campground, was a very nice older gentleman, retired from some kind of official game service in FL. We often sat around the campfires at night with my folks’ old HS chums from our hometown. The ranger always came by for coffee and told stories about the gators in FL, admitting that at least here, you could scare the bears away. He was pretty easy-going. One of the hometown folk (Grampa Floyd), would collect up all the kids in the back of his pickup and take us all to the dump to watch/photo the bears. He was retired, and the ranger let him move around the campground every two weeks (thus, spending the summer there).

After-thought, as I got to be 11 or 12, my dad acquired 4 weeks off. The ranger only extended that courtesy to ol’ Floyd, or my dad didn’t want to take advantage. We’d spend 2 weeks at Cole’s Creek, on the St. Lawrence, then travel down thru Potsdam to 8th Lake for the remaining two weeks.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Don - I checked several available sources and so far there is not a NE rally scheduled. There are two that may possibly work for you:

9/27/19 - 9/29/19: Western and Central New York rally in Farmington NY.
    10/9/19 - 10/14/19: Mid Atlantic rally in Millsboro Delaware.

Jim
    Jim, pardon me. I took the “closed” registration to mean that the rally was already full in Farmington. (What’s that they say about assuming? In my defense, the CG IS very small). I’ve since found out that the rally, Canandaigua KOA, September 27-29, 2019, is indeed open for registration on the grand design 4 life website.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are new to this forum. Have a 379FLS and are just getting our feet wet in 5th wheel travel. Interested in Northeast camping groups. From New Hampshire.

-Cyndi and Al Smith

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the Grand Design family!! Check out the rally part of the forum. The nearest to NE will be in Delaware in the fall. I am also in NE. Live in Ma but have a seasonal site in Maine. We are going to our first rally in Indiana in August, can’t wait.
    Enjoy and safe travels!!
    Don & Gayle
    3 fur babies
    2016 solitude 375re
    2015 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW crew cab short bed LTZ Z71 Duramax
    Rear timbren suspension blocks
    PullRite super glide 24k auto-slide
    Morryde rubber pin box
    Sailun G637

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12