User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Prep Package

What does it include? Is there a way to add it after build? Is there a better aftermarket solution? Recommendations?

Solitude 374TH

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It includes the fire box, wiring, control panel, and auto transfer switch.

If you add the gen set, you will need to tie into LP lines on te Solitude and add an exhaust pipe.

Makes adding a gen set after the fact much cheaper for you.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a "gen set"?
    I'm looking to purchase Solitude S and get it with the Gen Prep from factory and add Onan 5500 myself after the fact. Think I can save around $1k doing that.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsRVLife View Post
    What is a "gen set"?
    I'm looking to purchase Solitude S and get it with the Gen Prep from factory and add Onan 5500 myself after the fact. Think I can save around $1k doing that.
    Gen Set is just short for generator set up.

If you can do it cheaper than the factory does, good luck.

I would also rather have them install it and cover under their warranty.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimsRVLife View Post
    What is a "gen set"?
    I ordered my Solitude with the generator prep even though I've got 2 Honda 2000's that I store there. I did it because I can see myself down the road wanting to install an Onan generator if I find I use my current Honda generators enough. I'm FT, but still working so I'm usually hooked up at a campground. Once I retire (again) I expect we'll be doing some boondocking where the generators will come in handy. I'll then be at a crossroads = go solar, or get an Onan generator to put in the space already wired up for it. I expect I'll be looking for a gently used Onan when the time comes and save myself that same $1k your talking about on the install, or a bit more going with a gently used generator.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honda is reliable, but you might want to check out other options: https://lawngardentop.com/best-power-generator. In any case, I would carefully read all the specs again before buying a generator, too many factors that you are still able to overlook.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting the generator prep package is a good idea regardless of whether you plan to add a generator later, but definitely well worth it if you do plan on installing a generator, because installing a generator prep after the fact would be very time consuming adding to adding considerable cost over what you would pay to order as an option. I would argue it is worth it even if you do not plan to install a generator, for example our unit came with generator prep and we plan installing a potent solar system and as a back up for charging the batteries we have a Generac 2000 watt portable charger. Where the generator prep is helpful for us, is beneficial to we plan to install an inverter and so I can make use of the transfer switch that comes with gen prep. Also consider potential resale and a case where later on down the road you change your mind.
    Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki (Our two Akitas)
    2019 Solitude 310GK-R
    2015 Ram 3500 Big Horn CC, TD, Aisin Tranny, DRW

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are thinking about upgrading if we ever find a trailer that we cann't say no to. I was thinking like you had said was to go ahead ad get the gen prep package since it wasn't that terribly expensive to do on a new build. When at lazy days looking at the 3350 S-class one of them had the gen prep package. What I didn't like was it had a big box in the front storage compartment that would make using that area for storage very difficult. If the gen prep package comes with that box I would not get the gen prep package.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We are thinking about upgrading if we ever find a trailer that we cann't say no to. I was thinking like you had said was to go ahead ad get the gen prep package since it wasn't that terribly expensive to do on a new build. When at lazy days looking at the 3350 S-class one of them had the gen prep package. What I didn't like was it had a big box in the front storage compartment that would make using that area for storage very difficult. If the gen prep package comes with that box I would not get the gen prep package.
    I have had the same thought. I would simply remove and store the box until I either needed it or sold the trailer, but the transfer switch and wiring would be a lot harder to retrofit.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    That BIG OLD BOX is to isolate the Gen. so you can use the rest of the room for other things( batteries ect.) when you have the gen.
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast