User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on the feedback I received from the Greystone people. Received my follow up phone call from them after 3 days. I explained the situation to them and I was surprised that they seemed unconcerned, attempting to shift responsibility away from their product by suggesting that perhaps we had a power surge ( I use the Progressive Surge protector), so I know that was not the case. I was told that they have not had any similar reports in the past but only board failures resulting in total shut down of the fireplace.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A bit of info on overheating from loose connections - https://www.ecmweb.com/ops-amp-maint...al-overheating
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When my unit was new, I had the power cord short out due to an improper/ loose connection. Lately, the fan will not work on occasion. The heater will begin to heat up and then will shut down. I am going to remove the unit and check the connection once more. In the past, I have left the fireplace heat on when we go out exploring. I may have to rethink that.

Gordo Fuchs
    Presently at Cheaha State Park, AL
    Gordo Fuchs
    Northfield, Ohio 44067
    2015 305RE Moryde I/S, Electric/hydraulic disc brakes
    2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greystone Electric Fireplace Inspection

I pulled my Greystone Electric Fireplace to check the connection brought into question by this thread. This is a simple process and a half hour well spent, if it finds a problem before the situation encountered in post 1 of this thread. Attached are a few pictures and notes to help anyone wishing to do this. The only tools needed are Robertson (square drive) and Phillips screwdrivers.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Greystone Fireplace.pdf  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    I pulled my Greystone Electric Fireplace to check the connection brought into question by this thread. This is a simple process and a half hour well spent, if it finds a problem before the situation encountered in post 1 of this thread. Attached are a few pictures and notes to help anyone wishing to do this. The only tools needed are Robertson (square drive) and Phillips screwdrivers.

Rob
    Rob - Good information. What is your opinion on the design capturing any burned wires sufficiently to prevent a fire from spreading? In other words, if the wiring were to scorch as indicated in the above posts, would the metal box of the fireplace contain the damaged area? Also, I wonder if an in-line fuse could be added for additional protection.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rob - Good information. What is your opinion on the design capturing any burned wires sufficiently to prevent a fire from spreading? In other words, if the wiring were to scorch as indicated in the above posts, would the metal box of the fireplace contain the damaged area? Also, I wonder if an in-line fuse could be added for additional protection.

Jim
    Hi Jim . . . good questions . . . as always .

These connections appear to be within the metal box of the fireplace. From the pictures posted by PeterandDianne, I think the smoke they saw was from the smouldering electrical connector insulation. The plastics used in these connectors should not support combustion. This circuit must have reached combustion temperatures at less than 15 amps of current . . . so I don’t think an additional in-line fuse would help.

Similar to Gordo, we often used to leave the trailer (with Molly, Angel and Gracie inside!) with this heater on. Now, we are thinking that we trust the propane furnace more than we trust this electric heater.

More than a little “disconcerting” !!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Thanks, much for documenting this, Rob.......great stuff as always ! Trust this will be added to the library at some point.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just an update on the Greystone fireplace issue. We received an email from GD yesterday saying that they will replace our fireplace even though our warranty had expired 2 years ago. Again, we have had terrific customer service from them and appreciate their willingness to deal with issues. Thanks again Grand Design!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterandDianne View Post
    Just an update on the Greystone fireplace issue. We received an email from GD yesterday saying that they will replace our fireplace even though our warranty had expired 2 years ago. Again, we have had terrific customer service from them and appreciate their willingness to deal with issues. Thanks again Grand Design!
    Good to hear......GDRV just continues to delivery high level customer service experiences !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I pulled my Greystone Electric Fireplace to check the connection brought into question by this thread.
    I finally got around to inspecting mine today. Super easy to do (thanks to your excellent tutorial.) Thankfully the only issue I have is an open hole near the back corner of the cabinet. (I'm referencing the hole with the wires going through it, not the small gap between the cabinet and wall.)

How do you recommend I fill that hole to keep the cold/heat and critters from using it as a point of entry?

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast