0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Potential Fire Hazard on Greystone Fireplace

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21A4061B-B2CF-409D-9185-59D519D418EE.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	867.6 KB 
ID:	16640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29ACC45B-762B-4836-A151-614D2B86C4C5.jpeg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	16641We have a Greystone electric fireplace in our Reflection 337, model WF2613R. A couple of days ago we turned on the fireplace and a few minutes later, smoke was billowing out of the fan assembly and I could also see sparking behind the coils in the assembly. I think we were fortunate not to have a major fire. I have contacted GD to make them aware of the potential problem. I also have been in contact with the distributor for Greystone to make them aware of a possible problem. Heads Up! Don’t run your fireplace unless you are in the immediate vicinity and know what to do when something like that happens as it did to us.
    Last edited by PeterandDianne; 12-06-2018 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Adding pictures

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe that quick disconnect terminal had a weak/loose grip causing overheating.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should point out, that the fan and heater elements still work with no problem. The terminal was tight. What I did notice is that the power wire itself was glowing from overheating.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a little unnerving. Good thing you were there when it occurred. This is the first report on the forum of this particular issue as I recall. Please share any feedback you get from GDRV or Greystone, if you would be so kind.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had that happen as well. Same Greystone fireplace.

The wires actually melted through on mine.

I believe the problem is the push on terminals. My plan is to replace the wires that burnt, and actually solder the wires directly to the connector instead of using push on terminals (the wire that melted was the hot wire and was connected to a dual spade fitting terminal).
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since there are now two reported incidents with similar failures, I've notified GDRV management of the trend.

Jim

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    46 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Since there are now two reported incidents with similar failures, I've notified GDRV management of the trend.

Jim
    Thank you Jim. If you have experienced a concern with your greystone fireplace we would urge you to reach out to our support team immediately so we can document this and start researching on our end.

You can call us at 574-825-9679 Monday thru Friday 8-5 eastern time.

Be sure to have your VIN ready so we can properly document.

Thank you and we apologize for the concerns you have seen.

Emily

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I had that happen as well. Same Greystone fireplace.

The wires actually melted through on mine.

I believe the problem is the push on terminals. My plan is to replace the wires that burnt, and actually solder the wires directly to the connector instead of using push on terminals (the wire that melted was the hot wire and was connected to a dual spade fitting terminal).
    I know some of the QC terminals have looser grip than some name brand like Sta-Kon/Molex/3M Scotchlock, so that's why I wondered about it.
    I'd still want a crimp connection along with the solder.

Copper wire glow/incandescent and melting point of a poor connection would be higher than solder's melting point.
    Lead free solder melts ~188°C / 370°F
    Copper glows ~800°C to 900°C
    Copper melts ~1083°C / 1981°F
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    I know some of the QC terminals have looser grip than some name brand like Sta-Kon/Molex/3M Scotchlock, so that's why I wondered about it.
    I'd still want a crimp connection along with the solder.

Copper wire glow/incandescent and melting point of a poor connection would be higher than solder's melting point.
    Lead free solder melts ~188°C / 370°F
    Copper glows ~800°C to 900°C
    Copper melts ~1083°C / 1981°F
    Good call.

I have to rethink how I'm going to put it back together. The heater and blower still work after bench testing (the heaters do have high temp limiters to shut them off at a certain degree), so I just need to spend the time to clean it up and rewire it.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PeterandDianne - Thankyou very much for this “heads up”.
    We typically leave our fireplace heater on when we are not home . . . but not any more !!

I have had this fireplace apart before to replace bulbs and align the motor shaft . . . this is not difficult. Tomorrow’s list of things to do now includes disassembly for inspection. I will take pictures and create a “process” for others who may want to do this.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast