Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Ed
    I know this is no help but , I am interested in the reader and tablet info please?
    Brian
    Some of the OBD PIDs can be highly filtered where its unlikely there is more than one sensor measuring the transmission temperature. Its odd that the difference would be this large. How fast are the values changing on the tablet? I thought that it may be in Celsius and mislabeled but 66C is 151F.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Some of the OBD PIDs can be highly filtered where its unlikely there is more than one sensor measuring the transmission temperature. Its odd that the difference would be this large. How fast are the values changing on the tablet? I thought that it may be in Celsius and mislabeled but 66C is 151F.
    I think it i very likely there are at least 2 sensors, one for the dash readout and one for the PCM. Even on the older trucks for example where the PC monitors coolant temp there is a separate sensor (sender) for the dash readout.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    I think it i very likely there are at least 2 sensors, one for the dash readout and one for the PCM. Even on the older trucks for example where the PC monitors coolant temp there is a separate sensor (sender) for the dash readout.
    The sensor is the measuring device at the transmission. The IP instrument panel or DIC digital instrument cluster has its own controller that can scale this signal or will bring in the scaled signal from the TCM depending on how this is accomplished. The digital readout is not like gages of old where today's readout can be filtered for stability or tailored to accomplish certain visuals such as a tachometer that seems to instantly drop on shifts. Or when all the gages go though an elaborate display to full scale than back to zero followed by the actual readings on key up. Today's cluster can be calibrated to display in a variety of ways where the output on the sensor may not in some cases be a linear relationship. Or a signal can be filtered to prevent the gage or digital readout from over reacting such as from fuel slosh. Since the reading is so different on the OP's truck, the aftermarket tool must be pulling from a different PID or there is simply an error in the tool. I would trust the IP on the truck. What is the stabilized operating temperature on the IP when towing? Does this number make sense? Does the aftermarket tool and the IP converge at the fully stabilized temperature when towing?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Ed
    I know this is no help but , I am interested in the reader and tablet info please?

Brian
    Ed,

I would also like this information. You could pm me or you might start a new post. I think many of us would be interested in this.

Thanks Red.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    I have an OBD2 reader and a small tablet.
    I use it to monitor the factory TPMS, and other values. One screen displays all 4 tire pressures. I can flip to another page and I see all the EGT sensors, transmission, oil and coolant temp.
    The indicated transmission temp doesn’t match what is on the dash display.
    Please see the photo below.
    Can anyone explain this difference in temps?
    I think think the first thing I would check is the static temp of both readings. Let it sit over night and see if the temperatures are the same. When checking in the morning, check the ambient temp outside. If not close then something is not right. If one is close to ambient then that one is probably the correct one. It would be nice to do the static test in a very cold and a very hot climate and see if the temps track each other. Actually check all the temps available, they should all be close. If they are close to each other then they are probably different sensors. If they are not then close then it could be a possible PID formula that is not correct.

It looks like you might be using Torque Pro. If so, there is a place where you can look at all the different sensors that the app is reading and the PID as well as the formulas (If I remember correctly). This may also help with figuring things out.

Don't know if you use Android or iPhone, but check for different apps and compare results. It may identify errors of some sort.

Pat
    Last edited by Gyro Gearloose; 12-08-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Added a comment
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess until we hear back from the OP we will be guessing....here is a TFT PID and equation for a 6.7 albeit an earlier year than the OP: PID=221e1c equation= ((SIGNED(A)*256)+B)*(9/80)+32 These numbers came from the FTE 6.7 forum and I didn't see anyone mentioning a discrepancy from the dash readout. To the OP, do the numbers match yours and are you using Torque Pro?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Transmission temps don’t match

No custom PIDs, and I don’t know how to edit them or check the PID settings. I’m just using default settings on Torque Pro app. DIC typically starts about ambient then displays transmission temp about 190 towing. Only recently noticed the transmission temp was much higher in Torque, so I don’t know the temps it shows during towing.
    Tablet runs Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsBand View Post
    No custom PIDs, and I don’t know how to edit them or check the PID settings. I’m just using default settings on Torque Pro app. DIC typically starts about ambient then displays transmission temp about 190 towing. Only recently noticed the transmission temp was much higher in Torque, so I don’t know the temps it shows during towing.
    Tablet runs Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ah ha! You need to be using the Ford Enhanced PIDs Set. Go to about 10:35 in the video and watch as Ron explains how to find them, then pick your gauges from that set, not the generic set. See if that works first, if you still have a discrepancy I can walk you through how to check the equations.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kjoWoYtZg4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you already are using a TFT gauge from the Ford Enhanced set I believe there are 3 in there. When there are multiple choices on the gauges you can look for the one with the equation I posted earlier or simply use them all, side by side and figure out which one is correct for your rig then delete the others.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an older 2008 F250. I attached a Bullet Proof Diesel ScanGauge II monitor to my truck. It is mounted on my dash. I have 4 visual readings on the unit.
    1. Oil Temp, 2. Coolant Temp, 3. Trans Fluid Temp, 4. Air Intake Temp

I recently had a bed plate seal leak and while my engine was out of the truck I had everything upgraded. Bullet Proof Diesel Billet water pump and a new intercooler. I was told if you ever see the oil temp and the coolant temp are more than about 15 degrees apart, it is time to pull over and have the engine checked.

I think I would select one monitoring system, be it the built in gauges or the add on gauges and use it to monitor the engine/transmission temps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast