User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    That cut off is probably pretty close to when my truck was built so I'll check into that. Thanks!

EDIT - According to the door sticker, my truck was built 7/2018. I haven't received a notice from Ford so maybe I'm OK. My truck has the snowplow prep so maybe that makes a difference.

You won't get a notice from Ford - it is a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin), not a recall. I'm pretty sure that means "if there's a complaint. here's the kit to fix it". Problem is that this shaking is so violent that it is truly a safety hazard and in my opinion should be a recall. Just for grins, I'd take it to the dealer, refer to the TSB# I provided and ask them - can't hurt and might save you from an accident. My advice is to handle it before it happens. If you require it, I can send you copies of the dozens of complaints and NHTSB notices that I looked up, or just type in Ford death wobble or Ford TSB 18-2268 into your browser.

Safe travels.

PS - on my truck, this did not manifest itself until around 48,000 miles and the only warning prior to that was some almost imperceptible shaking after hitting a hard bump in the road. When it happens, it's an ambush not a stalking ...

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    That’s ok. Can’t hurt to mention it again, especially since I didn’t find anything here when I looked. I didn’t know to search the term death wobble. That’s why it never hurts to repeat a subject, especially a safety issue.
    This is a new one to me. I haven't experienced it in either truck. I'll have to look at my build date to see if mine could be affected. Thanks for the post.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2011 F-250 CCSD with 103,000 miles, no issue
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’ve seen a whole bunch of Jeep Wranglers with death wobble which is an even worse scenario since they’re already unstable at high speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised that a steering dampener is the fix. Usually they just mask the real problem. Never had the problem with the three Fords I've had (have)
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Stuff happens and then it gets fixed.

----In a perfect world. However things sometimes never get fixed because no one knows how to fix it, including the manufacturer. More than one death wobble owner has thrown lots of $$ and parts and still own a truck that acts like it's possessed by the devil himself.

On the Ram forums there are a few HD truck owners that have serious vibration issues. So bad the front seats shake like a veg-a-matic. Theories abound pointing at tires, rims, hubs, driveshafts, frames, on and on. Lemon law and arbitration actions abound. Some are successful and others are told that this is the characteristic of an HD truck. Ram engineers acknowledge the issue but offer no fix(other than selling it).
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gronk1 View Post
    Surprised that a steering dampener is the fix. Usually they just mask the real problem. Never had the problem with the three Fords I've had (have)
    If you look at the parts list, it’s more than the steering dampener, but as I look at it, it seems that’s the main issue.

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by minnow101 View Post

----In a perfect world. However things sometimes never get fixed because no one knows how to fix it, including the manufacturer. More than one death wobble owner has thrown lots of $$ and parts and still own a truck that acts like it's possessed by the devil himself.

On the Ram forums there are a few HD truck owners that have serious vibration issues. So bad the front seats shake like a veg-a-matic. Theories abound pointing at tires, rims, hubs, driveshafts, frames, on and on. Lemon law and arbitration actions abound. Some are successful and others are told that this is the characteristic of an HD truck. Ram engineers acknowledge the issue but offer no fix(other than selling it).
    I know how to fix it - but I’ll rely on Ford to make it right until the extended warranty runs out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Here's a good overview of the "death wobble" on Fords and Rams along with possible causes and potential cures.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...your-steering/

Jim

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Here's a good overview of the "death wobble" on Fords and Rams along with possible causes and potential cures.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...your-steering/

Jim
    Good article. I’m thinking Ford has their cure in the TSB kit. Without all of the engineering speak, my ultimate cure will be dual steering dampeners. The interesting thing is that this is the first truck I’ve had it on and I had absolutely no problems until 45000 miles. I also love the way the article tells you to pull over and check the suspension for damage. .. as if you could determine that by crawling under the truck on the side of the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast