User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dodge vans had this same problem back in the 70's, I don't think they ever did find a fix for it. A lot of people threw a lot of money at them too. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Dodge vans had this same problem back in the 70's, I don't think they ever did find a fix for it. A lot of people threw a lot of money at them too. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't.
    Actually, I think that vehicles with big, honkin' tires are prone to this problem. That said, for the $72K I spent on this vehicle, I can guarantee you that hell will freeze before i take a beating by trading it. Ford supposedly has the cure but at the end of the day, my cure will be dual steering dampeners and better shocks - for $500 bucks (I do my own installs), I think the problems will abate even if the Ford "kit" doesn't work. However, I must wait until the extended warranty expires so Ford doesn't have the dreaded "you modified it" dodge.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy82 View Post
    Stuff happens and then it gets fixed. Did they fix the problem on your truck or did the dealer give you the same "you're delusional" look I got and send you away? In my case, I did what the dealer should have done and actually researched the problem then I provided them with the TSB number and asked them how fast they could fix it. They were much nicer on that go around, especially since I told them I that the truck was thrown to the shoulder, I had to stop on the highway and I could have been killed. As long as Ford fixes it, I'm not going to take a beating on a 2-3 year old truck with only 50K on it. I agree that it's difficult to relax, but it should be OK with the upgrade. Also, I was planning on doing dual steering dampeners and Rancho shocks just to beef up my truck to defend against the lousy roads that have become the norm. I'm just waiting for the Extended Warranty to expire to do it because I don't want to give Ford any "you modified it" wiggle room.
    Dick - that truck was already out of warranty and it didn't hurt me much to get rid of it. I didn't want it after a few episodes of death wobble.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually, I think that vehicles with big, honkin' tires are prone to this problem. That said, for the $72K I spent on this vehicle, I can guarantee you that hell will freeze before i take a beating by trading it. Ford supposedly has the cure but at the end of the day, my cure will be dual steering dampeners and better shocks - for $500 bucks (I do my own installs), I think the problems will abate even if the Ford "kit" doesn't work. However, I must wait until the extended warranty expires so Ford doesn't have the dreaded "you modified it" dodge.
    Big discussions at www.Ford-trucks.com/forums on the issue, spreadsheet to document, TSB information and band-aids (ah, cures). Those in the know talk about Caster adjustments, worn parts, etc.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeDuty View Post
    Big discussions at www.Ford-trucks.com/forums on the issue, spreadsheet to document, TSB information and band-aids (ah, cures). Those in the know talk about Caster adjustments, worn parts, etc.
    Yeah, seen that one also. The problem is also predominant with Jeeps and Rams. Haven't checked GMC/Chevy but my guess is that HD + big tires = catastrophic oscillation. Can't imagine that heavy duty dual shocks and real shock absorbers won't solve this. As soon as the extended warranty runs out, it's Rancho or PMF heavy duty dual steering dampeners and Rancho shocks - front and rear.

Just had the Ford TSB kit that is supposed to solve this issue installed. Time will tell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock suspension SDs are having DW also.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, seen that one also. The problem is also predominant with Jeeps and Rams. Haven't checked GMC/Chevy but my guess is that HD + big tires = catastrophic oscillation. Can't imagine that heavy duty dual shocks and real shock absorbers won't solve this. As soon as the extended warranty runs out, it's Rancho or PMF heavy duty dual steering dampeners and Rancho shocks - front and rear.

Just had the Ford TSB kit that is supposed to solve this issue installed. Time will tell.
    Dick - Since you're out of factory warranty, did your extended warranty cover the installation of the TSB parts?

Jim

Gone Traveling
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Dick - Since you're out of factory warranty, did your extended warranty cover the installation of the TSB parts?

Jim
    Yup, with the exception of the $100 Extended Warranty deductible. In my book, it should have been covered 100%, but who's going to argue over a hundred bucks?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with replacing the shocks as all trucks are undershocked. You can buy them so cheap at Rock Auto that there's no reason not to replace them periodically. I put Bilsteins on my F250, and I cannot tell the difference between them and the $20 Monroe shocks I put on there later.

I had a death wobble on my truck and it was a tie rod problem. The tie rod has an arm coming out of the steering box and another arm on the right side that had a worn joint. It was an inexpensive and quick fix. I went ahead and had them change the tie rod ends and lower ball joints that are ridiculously cheap items to buy.

When towing 10-15K lbs., you want the suspension and brakes to be at 100% condition at all times. Thankfully parts on high volume trucks are often very cheap. And truck suspensions are easy and quick to work on with proper tools.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Here's a good overview of the "death wobble" on Fords and Rams along with possible causes and potential cures.

http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/cha...your-steering/

Jim
    There is another cause on trucks that have changed to after market wheels which wasn't mentioned, and I don't believe a lot of people are aware of it. Factory wheels are hub centric, the wheel fits tightly to the hub/axle and keeps it centered while the lug nuts hold the wheel on without the studs bearing a lot of the weight. Most after market wheels are lug centric, the hole in the after market wheel is bigger than the hub and instead of using the hub to center the wheel after market wheels use acorn shaped lug nuts to hold the wheel centered. This also means the weight bearing is now all on the studs instead of the hub. Some shops use plastic spacers to fill the gap between the hub and wheel hole, but I believe this in an inferior fit and may contribute to an out of round/ out of balance situation. Any steering or suspension problem that may not normally affect an IFS truck can have serious consequences on a straight axle truck. After much research last year when I was looking at after market wheels I firmly believe that lug centric wheel mounting is inferior to the factory hub centric mounting that all the vehicle manufacturers use. I ended up ordering much more expensive factory Lariat wheels that fit my truck like the factory intended.

By the way, the only vehicle I have ever experienced death wobble on was an old school VW Beetle after putting stop leak in the front tires. Got new tires and all was well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast