User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Spray Foam on Frame Rails

I ordered a 200 board foot spray foam kit and today I spray foamed the frame rails to help conserve propane in winter camping. Two weeks ago while staying at our daughters home in Belgrade, MT we were going through 4 gallons of propane a day and the furnace would hardly ever turn off with the thermostat set at 68 degrees. I have since purchased reflective bubble wrap for the windows and now I have spray foamed the frame. In my opinion, this should work better than skirting. The coroplast has a foil barrier and then two inches of fiberglass on top of that, but no insulation at all for the frame rails. That is one hell of a heat sink when the frame rails are in the teens, the heater has no chance of making that area below the floor very warm. Stay tuned and I will report how well this works.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be a dumb question but did you spray the inside or outside of the rails? If you dropped the corollas did you check all the heating ducts? I like the foam idea and fixing the heating ducts will help a lot too. Maybe even replace the flexible duct work with something solid or a little better quality may help as well.

Brian

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was a way to post photos here I would do that. I sprayed the outside of the frame rails, and also the steel cap on the drop frame. I made sure to seal off as much of the gaps as possible around the slideout penetrations also. I might have to try sticking a probe into the belly to see if it holds some temperature now that it is fully insulated and sealed. I checked the outside temps of the frame rails before with the furnace running and they were only about 10 degrees over ambient temp.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have posted photos on facebook at the grand design solitude group.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe when you post if you use the "go advanced" button you can attach pics. I think.....

Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    If there was a way to post photos here I would do that.
    You can post pictures on the forum. If you need assistance on how to do so, please let me know.

Jim

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was a way to post photos here I would do that.
    Hi Nuffsaid,

There are a few different ways to add pictures. I find the simplest is to hit the "Go Advanced" tab on the lower right of a new post and scroll down to "Manage Attachments" Then "Add Files", "Choose File" and "Upload"

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have clicked on go advanced and I can't find anything that says manage attachments. More help please.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have clicked on go advanced and I can't find anything that says manage attachments. More help please.
    Scroll down . . . see attached screenshot.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Forum Screenshot.jpeg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If there was a way to post photos here I would do that. I sprayed the outside of the frame rails, and also the steel cap on the drop frame. I made sure to seal off as much of the gaps as possible around the slideout penetrations also. I might have to try sticking a probe into the belly to see if it holds some temperature now that it is fully insulated and sealed. I checked the outside temps of the frame rails before with the furnace running and they were only about 10 degrees over ambient temp.
    I'd love to see the pics once you get them posted = following.

Pete
    Pete & Carla Nelson
    2017 F-350, diesel, DRW, Lariat, 8' bed, Ford's TPMS, Furrion camera, Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover
    2017 Solitude 384GK, with dual pane windows, slide toppers, gen ready, heat pump.
    Added items: WiFiRanger EliteAC (external antenna), WiFiRanger GoAC (Router),
    Trailer Saver BD3 w/underbed adapter, Cheapheat system, Fantastic fan (bathroom), 50 Amp Hughes Auto Former w/surge protection, 5th wheel skirting.
    MoRryde independent suspension, 8k axle, disc breaks, Sailun S637 tires

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast