User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by carnolddsm View Post
    I happened upon an answer to the where the foil should be installed while researching the R value of air gaps.
    Hi Colan,

That link is an informative read! Thanks for posting.

What I learned is a little further down in that article: "Still air conduction / convection resistance increases as the gap width increases to about 30mm, after which it remains nearly constant. When air spaces are vented, or air is forced to circulate in, or move through the space, the heat transfer by convection becomes the dominant factor."

The air needs to be still to be useful as a thermal barrier. This is why sealed thermopane windows work better than just two sheets of glass with air moving between them. So, the fibreglass batt insulation on top of the foil barrier would "stabilize" the air within the fibreglass spaces which is against the foil. Without this batt insulation layer, I don't now how still the air is going to be in the underbelly. Lots of ways for drafts and even the furnace output/intake to move that air around.

The down side to the fibreglass batts is how do you keep them dry? Particularly in cold weather, moisture is going to condense on the warm side of the foil barrier, which is exactly where the fibreglass "sponge" is waiting to soak up this moisture. The fibreglass batt is still going to stabilize the air within it even if it is wet, but I think that the moisture is going to conduct heat down from the space above, to the foil and coroplast. Think of . . . wearing wet gloves vs wearing dry gloves in the cold.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So
    Thanks for some insulation info.
    NEW PROBLEM

The dealer was replacing the power wire for the rear AC unit in our new 2018 Solitude 374. When they dropped the corplastic they found hydraulic fluid. Lovely.

So this is the second GD rig to get wet insulation. (Water from the shower p-trap on the Momentum.) I'm thinking about supplying 2" foam board or Rockwool insulation to the dealer to put back in, instead of the fiberglass insulation.

Has anyone done this?

Thoughts ? ? ? KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a couple of pics the service rep texted to me.

Luckily our next trip isn't till the end of Aug. KEN
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    So
    NEW PROBLEM

The dealer was replacing the power wire for the rear AC unit in our new 2018 Solitude 374. When they dropped the corplastic they found hydraulic fluid. Lovely.

So this is the second GD rig to get wet insulation. (Water from the shower p-trap on the Momentum.) I'm thinking about supplying 2" foam board or Rockwool insulation to the dealer to put back in, instead of the fiberglass insulation.

Has anyone done this?

Thoughts ? ? ? KEN
    I've replaced some of mine with rock wool, I had to cut it in half height wise so it didnt create a giant bubble of coroplast. I also added an aluminum L bracket on the outside of the coroplast across the frame rails to give some extra support since the coroplast seemed to sag a little. I got to replace my insulation because of a leaking black tank valve....I'll take the hydraulic fluid any day over that mess I had to deal with.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So
    NEW PROBLEM

Has anyone done this?

Thoughts ? ? ? KEN
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I've replaced some of mine with rock wool, I had to cut it in half height wise so it didnt create a giant bubble of coroplast. I also added an aluminum L bracket on the outside of the coroplast across the frame rails to give some extra support since the coroplast seemed to sag a little. I got to replace my insulation because of a leaking black tank valve....I'll take the hydraulic fluid any day over that mess I had to deal with.

What R factor product did you buy. Was the R15 too thick?
    Service rep is saying they will only need to do the center section of the rig and will be making GD pay for the product I choose. ( foam board or Rockwool insulation) KEN
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What R factor product did you buy. Was the R15 too thick?
    Service rep is saying they will only need to do the center section of the rig and will be making GD pay for the product I choose. ( foam board or Rockwool insulation) KEN
    I purchased the R15. I just wish it came in smaller quantities. Yes, it was to thick, but it was the only rock wool Lowes had.

I tried attaching a picture, it's not working for me today for some reason.

Last edited by FT4NOW; 08-02-2019 at 06:31 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sucks Ken. Such a nice rig and so new you would think it would hold up better Hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction and quickly too.

All the best,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    That sucks Ken. Such a nice rig and so new you would think it would hold up better Hope you get it fixed to your satisfaction and quickly too.

All the best,
    Kevin
    Thanks Kevin.
    It's seams like 1 out of 3 have problems. That's not good. But; like you said, as long as they fix it to my satisfaction that will work. Luckily we weren't planning much camping in August.

I won't be able to check on the work till I get home from a weeks work at U of Idaho. I hope to find out what was leaking Monday while I'm driving to Moscow, ID. I am taking the back way(126 to 26 to 395 north. then 12 and 95).

I was going to purchase the rockwool insulation, but the service manager said to just tell him what I want to replace the pink insulation with and he would purchase it. Works for me. KEN

FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12