2018 GMC Denali 3500 DRW
    B&W Companion
    Ftw. ,Texas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X2 on the 337. Not sure if 28" (distance between screen door frame), or 30" with a 29.5" door width......
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    What is the difference in the Lippert steps and the MorRyde steps?
    Another difference is the Lippert steps are wider in width, the MorRyde are not quite wide enough to walk up with a dog next to you.
    (but I'll still keep my Glow steps )
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't like the solid steps. If you have to make a stop any stops where it is not level, or if there is a curb, you may not be able to close the door, and if you have pets in the trailer they may get out. We have been several places where I have had to go find some thing to put under them to get them level, or to put under the trailer jacks to get the trailer high enough to get them out so I can shut the door with breaking the door (I have broken the screen door because the steps were not level.) Every time you put the steps up you dump anything that happens to be on them right into your trailer. They are nice if you are parked for a long period of time. But can be the pits if you are moving a lot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I don't like the solid steps. If you have to make a stop any stops where it is not level, or if there is a curb, you may not be able to close the door, and if you have pets in the trailer they may get out. We have been several places where I have had to go find some thing to put under them to get them level, or to put under the trailer jacks to get the trailer high enough to get them out so I can shut the door with breaking the door (I have broken the screen door because the steps were not level.) Every time you put the steps up you dump anything that happens to be on them right into your trailer. They are nice if you are parked for a long period of time. But can be the pits if you are moving a lot.
    I agree with 100% with everything you said, plus if you are parked in a storage lot or close to another vehicle, like the truck lane in a rest stop, might not have enough room to lower steps. I ended up going with the 4 step Torklift steps. Fold up and stow below door, and multi positioning for any site you might be parked on.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Torklift steps.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	17195
    Last edited by tmrut5; 01-15-2019 at 01:13 PM. Reason: formatting
    Tim Rutledge
    Phoenix, AZ
    2107 Reflection 318rst
    2106 Chevy 2500HD Z72 4x4 Duramax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    We just got a new 2018 374 Solitude. It has the Lippert solid steps. I think they suck. I wish we could just put some fold up steps on, but it would be a big project to install.
    The bathroom stop became a bigger project too. Not only do we need to slide out the dinette slide, but deal with 25 pounds of step that might not touch.
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    We just got a new 2018 374 Solitude. It has the Lippert solid steps. I think they suck. I wish we could just put some fold up steps on, but it would be a big project to install.
    The bathroom stop became a bigger project too. Not only do we need to slide out the dinette slide, but deal with 25 pounds of step that might not touch.
    Not sure if you plan on taking on this project, but I recall reading that on earlier models that had those steps, the structure was still on the frame where the fold out steps could be mounted, the sheet metal just needed to be cut out for where the stairs would go. Have you looked at the frame to see if that is still the case? If so, i don't imagine it's a huge ordeal.

The other downside with solid steps is if you stop at truck stops or rest stops with minimal parking clearances. I know at a truck stop there is no way you would have room to fold the steps out, and worse if you had them out prior to a truck parking next to you and now you cant get them back in, or they run them over not expecting anything to be in their spot.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Not sure if you plan on taking on this project, but I recall reading that on earlier models that had those steps, the structure was still on the frame where the fold out steps could be mounted, the sheet metal just needed to be cut out for where the stairs would go. Have you looked at the frame to see if that is still the case? If so, i don't imagine it's a huge ordeal.

The other downside with solid steps is if you stop at truck stops or rest stops with minimal parking clearances. I know at a truck stop there is no way you would have room to fold the steps out, and worse if you had them out prior to a truck parking next to you and now you cant get them back in, or they run them over not expecting anything to be in their spot.
    The box where all the fold up steps mounted to, is gone. It would be a LOT OF WORK.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a shame, i can see that being a difficult project, unless you know someone who specializes in metal working and welding to fabricate some brackets for you.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    That's a shame, i can see that being a difficult project, unless you know someone who specializes in metal working and welding to fabricate some brackets for you.
    I'll see how it goes for awhile.
    Most of my welding buddies are retired. We'll see.

This is the step we want.

FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast