Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Site Team
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

An exciting announcement!

I'm excited to share with you all some big news for our community. Over the years I've kept in touch with Andy from the RV Life Network. We’ve exchanged ideas and thoughts concerning running a forum and competing with Facebook. Recently we were chatting via email and Andy shared his vision concerning how RV Life Network was going to grow over the next year. It became apparent the time was right for Grand Design Owners to join the RV Life Network, and to join that vision. They are working on some neat stuff that will allow the member sites to access the various resources within the network with a single login. So as of today, Grand Design Owners is now owned by the RV Life Network. This is the direction I have wanted to take the forum, and by integrating the Grand Design Owners forum into the RV Life Network, I feel that we can achieve that vision, and become part of a larger overall group.

I spent a lot of time thinking about this decision and I feel it's the best for the community. Andy has assured me that it will be business as usual here. You all might be familiar with some of the other sites they run including RV Park Reviews, iRV2, Winnie Owners, Do It Yourself RV, and many other RV websites. These are sites that I have considered “best in breed”, and sites that Andy and I have compared over the years. There are so many things that we do exceptionally well. There are things that they do exceptionally well too. By moving us to the RV Life Network, I believe we get the best of all worlds.

I plan to stay on board running the site for a bit until they can get settled. It's been a pleasure to get to know so many of you through the forum. I sincerely appreciate your participation, your support, your enthusiasm, and your feedback as we have made this one of the greatest forums on the internet. I’ll be around, and will remain a part of the community; albeit in a different role than before. Thank you for helping to build the best Grand Design resource anywhere.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Chris Tretta
    Albuquerque, NM

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 6.7L Cummins
    2019 Grand Design 385GK
    2014 Grand Design 369RL - Sold
    Class A CDL, Doubles/Triples, Hazmat and Tanker endorsements

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any other site I have been on that changed hands and was told it would stay the same had changes happen sooner or later. Some changes were better, some were not so it remains to be seen what the final result will be. Here's to hoping for the best.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How will this affect the "no ads" quiet spot we've got here? New cost?

Who will moderate the forum, the same people? Will we get as quick a response to technical issues here on the forum that we enjoy now?

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Chris!

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not help my complex. Sometimes when I post in a thread nobody responds after (complex). The first time I join a forum it gets sold (complex).
    Congrats Chris, will you move to something bigger?, or just enjoy the time off of keeping and eye on us kids in the sand box.

Thanks for building this forum and for choosing the people to keep it the way it is, hoping it stays the same not sure if it can get better or not.

Brian

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations, Chris....you built a viable product worthy of acquisition. Now you can by that Spacecraft RV and pay cash ! Maybe another new forum to come or are you out of the forum game ?

Livinthelife - in looking at RV Life Network, it appears as though adds are part of the business model. It also looks as though displaying dealer adds has been in the works for a few years and a growth area for them. Seems it is safe to say adds and more marketing content will be part of the forum. Possibly Chris will share more.

Here is the link to the RV Life Network to learn more: http://www.rvlifenetwork.com/about/

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Team
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey there, I'm the Andy that Chris mentioned in the first post. I know changes like this are big news and everyone has questions, concerns and want to know what's ahead. I'll jump right in to answer some right now.

Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    How will this affect the "no ads" quiet spot we've got here? New cost?

Who will moderate the forum, the same people? Will we get as quick a response to technical issues here on the forum that we enjoy now?
    We will keep the no ads set up, same cost. I'm intrigued by the set up as we always have a free level on our other sites. Will we introduce a free level here sometime, who knows?

The whole team will remain the same. Typically, when starting to work with a new group for the first time we just hang out and see how things are done. We know each forum has its own vibe so it's our job to get a feel for that. As for a philosophical perspective on moderation, I feel it's very important that communities are moderated by their peers. We always work with the members to empower the team to foster the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    in looking at RV Life Network, it appears as though adds are part of the business model. It also looks as though displaying dealer adds has been in the works for a few years and a growth area for them. Seems it is safe to say adds and more marketing content will be part of the forum. Possibly Chris will share more.
    Yes, to date, we have offered the forums via an ad supported business model (ie. free to participate but ads pay the rent). Here, since it's a different business model, we are going to leave it that way. Will we ever offer a free level? I don't know. One concept I like is earn your keep. For people who contribute a lot (and thus we trust) give them more access and perks. For newbies, let them pay or earn their way up. Just ideas... I'm most excited about just seeing a new concept and seeing it work.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post
    Any other site I have been on that changed hands and was told it would stay the same had changes happen sooner or later. Some changes were better, some were not so it remains to be seen what the final result will be. Here's to hoping for the best.
    Always nice to be around realists and optimist. I look forward to getting to know you more in the years ahead...

--------

A special thank you to Chris for founding and fostering this wonderful community and resource for Grand Design owners. I know how much work goes into running a forum like this, it's a labor of love and takes a lot more work than most people realize. I'm honored that you have entrusted us to have Grand Design Owners as part of the RV Life Network. We'll work our hardest to help foster the forum like we do with all of our communities.

As you have already posted, you all have lots of questions and are wondering what this means for Grand Design Owners. The short answer is business as usual. We know that each forum community has its own vibe and we don't want to disrupt that.

A little about us. I'm an RVer who first bought a vintage 60s Airstream about 17 years ago. It was during that restoration process that led me to founding Airstream Forums. We started to noticed the members doing specific things like giving each other advice on campgrounds, planning rallies or buying and selling from each other. In order to facilitate these things we added features to the site like a campground review system, RSVP system for rallies and classified software for buying and selling. One thing we noticed was the community for a single brand was too small to cover all the campgrounds out there. We noticed tons of people using www.RVParkReviews.com so we worked a deal with the owner and were able to add it to the RV Life Network. Now we encourage our members to share their experiences camping there so all RVers can benefit.

Janet who helps manage our communities is also an RVer. I'll let her post an introduction here in a bit.

We understand these types of announcements can be a little unnerving. It's through our actions that we can earn your trust. We look forward to being here and meeting you all in the years to come. If you all have any questions, please feel free to post them here.

Kind Regards,

Andy

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris , first off we would like to thank you for starting and keeping this forum going for as long as you have.
    My first knee jerk reaction was oh crap, this could kill the forum. I have seeen other forums change hands then die a slow painful death not long after.

It''s uup to the members here tto kkeep participaating aand keep it alive, itt's up to all of us.

Afteer readiingg thee (is anyone ellse gettiing doubblee letteers liike thiis when typinng? itt's getttiing tirrinng trryiing to ffix iit)) link Dan provided It made me a little more comfortable with the decision because those are all quallity forums that have a good long stable life behind them. I think I'm a registered member of IRV2 even though it has been a long time since I have posteed there and had posted reviews in the past on RVPark reviews.

Andy, welcome aboard. We are going to look forward and hope things don't change to much but the things that do will hopefully only enhhance what wwe aalready havve gooinng herre. The no aads is a big paartt oof who wee are aand hope tthaat doessnn't cchange
    Annd if yoou can fiigure ouut why I am geettingg ddoubblee lletterss it would make my posting liifee here eeassieerr!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andy - thank you, for promptly sharing feedback on early questions......we appreciate this. You have landed a wonderful, caring, respectful community with the GDRV Owners forum.....maybe the best out there.......but you already knew that. I always recall what our executive management team would share among ourselves and to our reports when we did M & A activity....."now don't F (foul I think) it up" !

Welcome !....we look forward to your (and Janet's) communications in the future.

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    Chris , first off we would like to thank you for starting and keeping this forum going for as long as you have.
    My first knee jerk reaction was oh crap, this could kill the forum. I have seeen other forums change hands then die a slow painful death not long after.

It''s uup to the members here tto kkeep participaating aand keep it alive, itt's up to all of us.

Afteer readiingg thee (is anyone ellse gettiing doubblee letteers liike thiis when typinng? itt's getttiing tirrinng trryiing to ffix iit)) link Dan provided It made me a little more comfortable with the decision because those are all quallity forums that have a good long stable life behind them. I think I'm a registered member of IRV2 even though it has been a long time since I have posteed there and had posted reviews in the past on RVPark reviews.

Andy, welcome aboard. We are going to look forward and hope things don't change to much but the things that do will hopefully only enhhance what wwe aalready havve gooinng herre. The no aads is a big paartt oof who wee are aand hope tthaat doessnn't cchange
    Annd if yoou can fiigure ouut why I am geettingg ddoubblee lletterss it would make my posting liifee here eeassieerr!
    Marcy - take your fingers off the keypad after you type......lol !

Dan
    Dan & Carol

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast