User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Furnace outer vents

I have noticed that when our furnace is running there is a tremendous amount of heat being discharged from the grates on the outside furnace cover. This is mainly at the bottom one. Trying to figure out if this is normal.
    Thanks , Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Normal. Has to exhaust the gas from burning propane some place. If they exhausted it inside it would kill you.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more I thought about it that's the conclusion I had come to. I was just surprised by the amount of heat it put out. I suppose it is due to how close everything is.
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RV furnaces are notoriously inefficient. I couldn't find any literature to support it, but my guess would be around 60% efficiency, which means you're exhausting a whole lotta heat compared to what you' re pumping into your RV. There may be high efficiency furnaces out there, but I'm betting they're cost restrictive for the average RV.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been experiencing near freezing temperatures at night the past week, so the furnace has been running a lot. By far, the warmest area in the rig is the utility area where the furnace is but I can’t see any signs of kinks or leaks in the ducts. The next warmest area is the bedroom with plenty of airflow. But the flow of heat out of the island vents is relatively low which makes he furnace run longer to heat up the large living area. The other day the furnace ran so long that the vent in the bedroom got so warm that the plastic vent cover melted! A blanket had fallen and covered the vent but i sure didn’t expect it to get hot enough to melt plastic.

Is this normal? I seem to be going through a lot of propane keeping warm - in Arizona of all places!
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bob

The "duct work" in these campers leave a lot to be desired. It will be hard but remove a vent or 2 on the island and see if you can see in there to see if there is any blockage or unhooked ducts. Also check the heater and make sure all the ducts are connected. If you do not need heat in the pass thru you could tape the vent on the silver duct on the top of the storage area shut and that would add more airflow to the rest of the camper. Also you could block the vent in the bedroom with something. Ours is very similar to yours, more heat in bedroom but I have not been able to really dive into the problem.

Brian

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to block the vent in the bedroom, but after seeing the vent cover melt when a blanket fell on it, I’m not sure that’s a good idea.
    2014 Ford F-150 Ecoboost / Max Tow / HD Payload
    2018 Reflection 295RL

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a vent like homes have that you can close all the way or just partially if you like.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/