User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Setting up your own Equal-i-zer hitch

I have two vehicles capable (might be a point of discussion) of towing my Imagine 2800BH. My existing Equal-i-zer hitch (1000-10000 model) is setup for my primary tow vehicle, an expedition. I would like to purchase a second hitch to use with my f150. In the past, others have set up my hitches. Whether they are knowledgeable about it might be a point of contention, but in any event others have handled the setup. On this last trade, the tech eyeballed my existing hitch setup and said it was fine. I was going from a 21 foot, 4400 pound camper to my new 2800BH which weighs about 6500 pounds (give or take). That did not sound right, but it does pull OK.
    The f150 receiver is about 8 inches higher than the Expy, so I know adjustments would be needed to accommodate.
    Initially, I started calling around to see what resources where available in my small town that could be paid to setup my hitch. But after reading through the hitch setup guide at equal-i-zer's web site, it sounds like something I should be able to handle. Might actually learn enough to better configure the setup on my existing tow vehicle as well.
    Do most of you leave it to the "pros" to setup your hitches or do you take on that task yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set up my own following the instructions that came with my hitch. The dealer did it the first time and did it wrong. Be careful who the "experts" are.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you know somebody that has a similar set up and knows what they are doing , they would be the ones to ask, not sure how many dealers have "experts" that even know what they are doing.
    For set up you want a level or close to level combination between truck and trailer. @howson has had some extensive dealings with setting up his hitch as well as others.
    They will probably like to know the hitch brand.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't have any "camper" friends. Our family and friends considering Best Western roughing it so we have been pretty much solo campers. The hitch I am using is the equal-i-zer brand (https://www.equalizerhitch.com/store...led-hitch-ball
    Admittedly, their documentation appears pretty good. I am inclined to go ahead and order the second hitch and work my way through it with my f150. Kind of like to get it done before my next trip (abeit a short 110 mile roundtrip one) middle January to South Llano SP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also consider increasing the capacity to a 1500# model of they have it. I changed out my 1000# bars to 1500# bars for my 2500RL and it is an even another setup now
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    I'd also consider increasing the capacity to a 1500# model of they have it. I changed out my 1000# bars to 1500# bars for my 2500RL and it is an even another setup now
    With my brand, the options are 1000/10000 (which I have), 1200/12000 and 1400/14000. I have seen references to people just bumping up their spring arms. If were to get the components to simply set up another 10K hitch, it would run be about $460 with no springs. Spring bars are another $180 or so per set. Assuming it is obvious max tongue weight/max trailer weight.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    If you know somebody that has a similar set up and knows what they are doing , they would be the ones to ask, not sure how many dealers have "experts" that even know what they are doing.
    For set up you want a level or close to level combination between truck and trailer. @howson has had some extensive dealings with setting up his hitch as well as others.
    They will probably like to know the hitch brand.

Brian
    The camper is actually hooked up to my truck at this very moment. I'm headed to Pensacola soon to get actual weights based on the changes I've made to my setup. I'll post the results in this thread: https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...eveling-My-Rig
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I built up a shopping list for adding a second hitch to use with my f150 and the equal-i-zer hitch. It is based on the 1200/12000 pound setup:90-02-9100, bolt kit, 90-01-1299 for tension bars, 90-02-4100 for a shank, 91-00-6100 for the ball and 90-02-1200 for the head. At the mfg those parts total about $650 and at Carid, they total about $483. I guess one question would be is there a benefit going to a higher rated setup. My tongue weight is about 690 and my trailer weight is about 7200 (loaded). I ran across a reference once that heavier duty is not necessarily better for towing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by f100owner View Post
    ...heavier duty is not necessarily better for towing.
    No argument from me on that regard. "Right" is the goal.

Blue Ox owners (like myself) generally get bars that are rated higher than what seems necessary based on experience. When I was shopping many owners with my setup advised me to get the 2K bars. I'm glad I listened. I have not personally tried 1,500lb bars, but even with a 1,300lb tongue weight I am glad I have the 2K bars. It's a long thread, but check out my story in the thread I mentioned two posts up. (Post 33 is where I'm at currently with my setup.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a surprisingly low tongue weight for the 2800 isn't it? My 2500 is right at 920 when I have it loaded out (total trailer weight about 7600#s. Maybe towing it would be easier if you could shift more weight to your tongue.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast