User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

conceal carry in your RV

We are traveling form Maine to Arizona in a few weeks and was wondering what others are doing as far as having a conceal carry pistol in their RV. I am aware of the stupid, confusing laws on carrying. I can legally carry in about 40 states. My issue is with going through states I am not able to carry. I don't intend to carry but I would really like to have a weapon in my RV. I don't intend to stay in any state I am not licensed for. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Concealed means concealed. Why give anyone a reason to ask or look?

There are two points here. The first is that there is a Federal law concerning transport of firearms through any jurisdiction, and the second is that if the weapon is kept in a locked RV, out of your immeidate reach, you have reasonably satisfied any safe transport and storage regs. That being said, refer to my first sentence.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. Just be careful and use common sense and you should never have an issue. I'll share an anecdote that I've shared in the past with other members. I have a permit to carry concealed in many states, but Illinois is not one of them. We packed up one morning and I knew I'd be driving through Illinois, so I stashed my handgun in my bedroom dresser but didn't unload it. Not too far into Illinois, our truck caught on fire and spread to the fifth wheel. Both the truck and the FW were totally destroyed. It was only the next morning that I realized I'd left that loaded handgun in the dresser. While combing through the remnants of the trailer, I found it. It was significantly damaged but fortunately, the round in the chamber and the rounds in the magazine never cooked off. If it had, it could have injured one of the firefighters or officers on scene. Even if the bullet didn't hit someone, I might have had some explaining to do if the loaded handgun had been found by the authorities.

So my lesson has been learned. If I'm not legally carrying while on the highway, I unload the handgun and store the ammunition legally away from it.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by batzaman View Post
    We are traveling form Maine to Arizona in a few weeks and was wondering what others are doing as far as having a conceal carry pistol in their RV. I am aware of the stupid, confusing laws on carrying. I can legally carry in about 40 states. My issue is with going through states I am not able to carry. I don't intend to carry but I would really like to have a weapon in my RV. I don't intend to stay in any state I am not licensed for. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    I will try to assist.

Unless transporting commercially, having your legal personally owned firearm in your personally owned vehicle would not likely subject you to any violation of federal law. The jurisdiction/state/county you were travelling in would be the governing jurisdiction at any given point in time.

Pertaining to a CCW permit, any state which has a reciprocal agreement with a state where a current CCW permit was issued would be not be an issue.

Sans a CCW permit, most state laws pertaining to carrying a weapon define where the weapon can or cannot be transported. Most states basically allow transportation of a weapon if the weapon is not loaded and within reach of the driver. There are a multitude of variations but weapon and ammo separated while driving and out of reach of the driver would be best practice in most instances (think trunk, RV etc.). Having the weapon in the RV would likely satisfy this. Some states allow open carry with no permit, carry with permit, CCW with permit so if you planned to carry in a specific location, I would recommend you determine the state law in that area.

The RV would considered a residence and absent a search warrant or an exception to the warrant requirement based on probable cause, could not be legally searched.

Federal lands and State lands may have specific regulations pertaining to firearms on those specific lands and private businesses including RV parks can prohibit weapons.

Unless other conduct is present which would likely lead the officer to develop reasonable suspicion and probable cause, the likelihood of being charged with carrying a weapon in the RV would be very remote, especially if traveling through the state. I personally would not be concerned.

Thin blue line regards
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Welcome to the forum. Just be careful and use common sense and you should never have an issue. I'll share an anecdote that I've shared in the past with other members. I have a permit to carry concealed in many states, but Illinois is not one of them. We packed up one morning and I knew I'd be driving through Illinois, so I stashed my handgun in my bedroom dresser but didn't unload it. Not too far into Illinois, our truck caught on fire and spread to the fifth wheel. Both the truck and the FW were totally destroyed. It was only the next morning that I realized I'd left that loaded handgun in the dresser. While combing through the remnants of the trailer, I found it. It was significantly damaged but fortunately, the round in the chamber and the rounds in the magazine never cooked off. If it had, it could have injured one of the firefighters or officers on scene. Even if the bullet didn't hit someone, I might have had some explaining to do if the loaded handgun had been found by the authorities.

So my lesson has been learned. If I'm not legally carrying while on the highway, I unload the handgun and store the ammunition legally away from it.

Jim
    Jim - what was the gun that burned ? I do not recall seeing this picture before. You probably have many pictures during and post fire not shared before.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CCW holder. Like you, most of the country accepts it.

When traveling in a state with strict laws, MA, CA, NY etc come to mind, when in motion, I break down the weapons completely and keep the ammo in a locked box and the gun pieces placed in different spots. I don't think breaking the gun down is necessary but I don't want to have any issues and I'm not looking to be a play court hero.

Many times we are on our way back up to Canada anyway and if that is the case I leave them with friends broken down.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the firearm is unloaded and locked seperate from the ammo and out of reach I don't think you will ever have a problem. If you find yourself taking to local officials, don't volunteer any information. I travelled across Illinois, through California and several other states where my permit was not honored. I just kept the Firearm secured and my mouth shut. Nobody will bother you if you don't give them a reason.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toes in the water View Post
    Jim - what was the gun that burned ? I do not recall seeing this picture before. You probably have many pictures during and post fire not shared before.

Dan
    Dan it was a four month old S&W M&P 9mm with built in laser sight.

Jim

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know of a site where you can research each State and/or city rules for transporting and possessing firearms?
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Does anyone know of a site where you can research each State and/or city rules for transporting and possessing firearms?
    https://www.nraila.org/articles/2015...transportation
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast