User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I meant to ask other Chev/Duramax owners - maybe enough on this string where I don't have to start another. My truck is riding on the bump stops in front. Are any of yours doing that? I never even looked until I replaced the shocks but that just doesn't seem ideal to me.
    The stops add the progressive element to the front springs. It's actually called a progressive dampener. At proper suspension ride height, the stops should just be touching...not compressed. The torsion bars, or later coil springs are linear rate and the stops help with the smoothness and comfort levels over small undulations. They are one of the reasons why GM's ride and drive so much better than the others.
    2018 Reflection 303RLS
    2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax CC/SB/4X4
    Superglide2700 Bakflip F1

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Has anyone replaced them on a 2011-2016 F350 themselves? Is it something that could be done mostly one handed?

Jim
    Usually the hardest part is getting the upper nut off the front shocks. They tend to rust fast. My last truck we had to take a torch to them to loosen the nut.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapid1 View Post
    The stops add the progressive element to the front springs. It's actually called a progressive dampener. At proper suspension ride height, the stops should just be touching...not compressed. The torsion bars, or later coil springs are linear rate and the stops help with the smoothness and comfort levels over small undulations. They are one of the reasons why GM's ride and drive so much better than the others.
    Rapid1,
    This same approach is what I am taking on my Imagine 2600RB when I add either the Timbrens or Sumo Springs to my suspension. I want to add about 500-600lbs compression to the 1750lb factory springs but need this constant contact for proper control. Now back to the shocks.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for responses on front rubber dampeners (or whatever the proper name for them is). Good info on here as always. Don't know why I never noticed that before. With these new Bilsteins it's a joy to drive the truck again.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    Usually the hardest part is getting the upper nut off the front shocks. They tend to rust fast. My last truck we had to take a torch to them to loosen the nut.
    I live in AZ and NM. Mine had zero rust and came right off. Another benefit to living here I guess. I did have to put on a light jacket when I took my walk yesterday though.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks much Leon. I'm going to save this project till after the first of the year. Who knows, the doc may tell me I can start using my hand again. But if not, I'll sure consider your offer. I live on the NE near Sabino Canyon.

Jim
    After the holidays I'm going to load up the wife and head over towards Yuma for a while with my Yamaha Viking. I need to install a true tow hitch on my trailer so I can pull the Viking behind it. You will love the new shocks. I'm sure glad I put them on my truck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds like a great deal. Hopefully by then, I'll be healed up enough that I can use that other hand though.

Jim
    Looks like it will take a couple of 3/4" open end box and a 1/2" socket for the front. Probably a 3/4' socket for the rear. Probably a breaker bar and some pb lube.

If you don't have it done already, I think we can do it.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Replaced the rear shocks on my GMC since its a balmy 55F here in Michigan. My first Rancho shock removed was in perfect condition. When comparing to the new 4600 Bilstein the Rancho has a larger tube diameter which means it also has a larger piston since the OEM Z71 shock is a monotube design. Also noticed the compression on the Rancho felt the same or slightly firmer than the Bilstein. On the second Rancho, I found the first one inch of travel had no damping at all and was shot. Both shocks still had gas pressure. Took the truck for a drive and noticed an improvement since I now have two functioning shocks. Cannot complain where I have 55K miles on the Ranchos which I believe have been going bad for the last 5K miles since I have been picking up on a strange noise at highway speeds and on the same corner as the bad shock. I believe if I had replaced the Ranchos with the same OEM shocks, they would be just as good as the replacement Bilstein's which I do not expect to last any longer.
    Tomorrow....the new Michelin Defenders in LT.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-28-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Replaced the rear shocks on my GMC since its a balmy 55F here in Michigan. My first Rancho shock removed was in perfect condition. When comparing to the new 4600 Bilstein the Rancho has a larger tube diameter which means it also has a larger piston since the OEM Z71 shock is a monotube design. Also noticed the compression on the Rancho felt the same or slightly firmer than the Bilstein. On the second Rancho, I found the first one inch of travel had no damping at all and was shot. Both shocks still had gas pressure. Took the truck for a drive and noticed an improvement since I now have two functioning shocks. Cannot complain where I have 55K miles on the Ranchos which I believe have been going bad for the last 5K miles since I have been picking up on a strange noise at highway speeds and on the same corner as the bad shock. I believe if I had replaced the Ranchos with the same OEM shocks, they would be just as good as the replacement Bilstein's which I do not expect to last any longer.
    Tomorrow....the new Michelin Defenders in LT.
    I always thought that the “Z71” package included bilstein’s and skid plates. When did GM switch to Rancho for OE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2017 Grand Design Solitude 379fls-r

2015 F250 FX4 6.7

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadandMel View Post
    I always thought that the “Z71” package included bilstein’s and skid plates. When did GM switch to Rancho for OE?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They are on all the 2014 to 2018 K2xx trucks.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast