User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rancho shocks - garbage

Just replaced the OEM Rancho shocks on my pickup. It's been riding like crap for a while now. When I pulled the Rancho shocks off I couldn't believe that they were completely shot at 43,000 miles (and they've been worn out longer than that, I just now got around to replacing them). There was not much resistance when I compressed them and absolutely zero rebound. They just stayed compressed with no weight on them.

I replaced all 4 with Bilsteins and I hope I get better wear out of them. Truck rides like new again.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree they are highly overrated. I was glad to see that Ford stopped using them on all their FX-4 four wheel drive packages. My '17 F250 rode like hell with them, the F350 rides better without them and has more than double the payload.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Just replaced the OEM Rancho shocks on my pickup. It's been riding like crap for a while now. When I pulled the Rancho shocks off I couldn't believe that they were completely shot at 43,000 miles (and they've been worn out longer than that, I just now got around to replacing them). There was not much resistance when I compressed them and absolutely zero rebound. They just stayed compressed with no weight on them.

I replaced all 4 with Bilsteins and I hope I get better wear out of them. Truck rides like new again.
    Leon,

Good move on Bilsteins. For off the shelf, great shocks! Used to do a lot of off road and tried a lot of different shocks, as well as ridden in rigs with different shocks. When I started there was not much in the mono tube shocks unless they were made for Off Road Racing. Bilsteins were quit $$$ back in the 70's and 80's.

Run them on my 77 Landcruiser FJ40 and my Ram.

I have run a couple of different version of Rancho and pretty much gave them away because they rode so bad. Never had any long enough to wear out.

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This might explain why my F350 rides so harsh at 40K miles. I just thought it was normal. It came equipped with Rancho shocks which I thought were top of the line. Anytime I hit a small bump, it sounds and feels like someone is hammering on the suspension.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post

You must have the Z71 pkg. I don't have the Z71 but HD gas charged shocks. At 13,000 miles I decided to try Bilsteins. When I removed the factory shocks 3 out of four had lost all gas pressure. The difference in ride, especially towing, is almost amazing.
    @patwardell - I remember a buddy of mine putting Bilstein struts and shocks on his '70 BMW 2002tii back in about '73. We thought they were magic!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny what the manufactures do. Maybe they should leave things alone instead of offering things that the young purchasers believe is good, i.e. Rancho shocks. Every young man with a pickup had to have Rancho shocks. Must be considered good marketing.

We use to own a 1996 Yukon and later a 1998 Tahoe. Same exact vehicles. Both came with shocks that were labelled right on the shocks as "GM-Belstein". Go figure.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put Ranch 9000's on a 2010 F150. The front left leaked after a 1.5 years. I only had the truck for a little over two years and by then one of the rears was leaking as well. Ranch paid for the new front shock but I had to pay to have it installed. The new owner got to get his own new one I guess.
    Put KYB's on my 2012 Ram 2500 and loved em. I see now that the new Rams with the off road option uses Bilstiens and the ride is almost like night and day different.
    OEM shocks are like motorcycle seats. They feel great on a test drive but soon lose their luster.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, the stock OEM Rancho Shocks are not the Rancho Shocks that all the big time off roaders are using. The stock OEM Rancho Shocks are bottom drawer and any off road shop will confirm that....it's no secret.

Having said that, I've got 90,000 miles on my 2014 F-350, dually, FX-4 and I still have good even wear on my last set of tires and the Michelins that I put on about 10k miles ago.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    This might explain why my F350 rides so harsh at 40K miles. I just thought it was normal. It came equipped with Rancho shocks which I thought were top of the line. Anytime I hit a small bump, it sounds and feels like someone is hammering on the suspension.
    Exactly how mine felt. Took my wife on a ride after replacing them and she couldn't believe the improvement. I believe those Ranchos have been shot for quite a while, it was just a gradual deterioration so I didn't notice it until it was really bad.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    You must have the Z71 pkg.
    Yep, Z71. I looked at KYB and was tempted. I've had good luck with them in the past. Decided on Bilsteins because....well, because I had to make a decision!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast