User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny part is, had OEM Bilsteins done this I'd be calling them garbage and switching to Ranchos! I just thought it was ridiculous for shocks to be completely shot that quickly, but others who have posted say it's fairly normal at 40,000 to 45,000 miles.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think people seriously over estimate the life cycle of their shocks. Tuned for the vehicle or not, they are mass produced on a "least cost" basis and need replacement early on. As relatively inexpensive as it is to replace shocks, they are pretty much a normal maintenance item for me at about 35-40K. I don't expect the aftermaket shocks to last much longer either. Unless they can be rebuilt, they just wear out. If they can be rebuilt, they typically need it by then.

The trick part is to figure out what shocks will be right for you in the aftermarket.
    Last edited by JColeman; 12-29-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, my hand is finally healed enough that I was able to tackle the shock absorber change out. On my '16 F350, I replaced the Rancho Shocks and steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100 series shocks. As I reported earlier, I was getting some rattling noises while running on the Rancho shocks. With the new Bilsteins, the noise is gone. the steering felt a little stiffer with the new stabilizer also. The replacement wasn't easy since I was still working mostly one handed, but I was able to get er done.

Jim

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Well, my hand is finally healed enough that I was able to tackle the shock absorber change out. On my '16 F350, I replaced the Rancho Shocks and steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100 series shocks. As I reported earlier, I was getting some rattling noises while running on the Rancho shocks. With the new Bilsteins, the noise is gone. the steering felt a little stiffer with the new stabilizer also. The replacement wasn't easy since I was still working mostly one handed, but I was able to get er done.

Jim
    Jim,

Great Job, PIA with only one hand. I guess that's less work for us in Vegas.

See you soon...

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose View Post
    Jim,

Great Job, PIA with only one hand. I guess that's less work for us in Vegas.

See you soon...

Pat
    Thanks for the offer Pat. Now we have more time for fun stuff.

Jim

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post

Jim
    Look forward to your review after you've had an opportunity to pull your RV, Jim.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I have been really pleased with how I can "tune" the rear spring rate with the airbags (and onboard compressor). The suspension damping should really be a separate thing from spring rate, as long as the dampers are operating within their designed range of travel. In my case, the truck feels a little "looser" than it used to. 80,000 miles on the truck, towing the same 5th wheel, loaded the same as always. I have new tires (same spec as OE . . . well almost) so part of this might be 14/32 of tread depth rather than 5/32 where I left off with the original tires. It makes sense that my shocks are worn. New OE spec shocks will be the next step to see if this returns the more stable feel that I used to have.

Rob
    Finally got around to replacing the rear shocks on my 2014 HDPP F150 today. (Getting ready for the tow home ). After much reading on various F150 forums, I came to the conclusion that what the Ford engineers thought was best for the HDPP . . . probably is the best. (I didn't work for Ford, but I am an OEM suspension engineer ) I don't need stiffer aftermarket shocks just to know that I got "something for my money". So I replaced with exactly the same OE PN shocks.

The "free length" of the new shock is longer than the same PN with 80,000 miles on it. The "push back" force is about the same when I compress them side by side. Hmmm . . . then I tried "compress the shock . . . release it a couple of inches . . . and compress it again" BIG difference. The new shock responded immediately. The old shock had a significant "no response / no damping" lag.

Can't tell any difference driving empty. More to report when we tow home at the end of the month . . .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4296.jpg   IMG_4291.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just replaced the Ranchos on my F-350 at 23,000 miles with Bilstien 5100s. The Ranchos had no return and very little compression resistance. Also, steering damper had very little resistance. Looking forward to first trip to "see" difference.

And thanks T-Jim for the info at the rally. Nice meeting you!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Just replaced the Ranchos on my F-350 at 23,000 miles with Bilstien 5100s. The Ranchos had no return and very little compression resistance. Also, steering damper had very little resistance. Looking forward to first trip to "see" difference.

And thanks T-Jim for the info at the rally. Nice meeting you!
    It was good meeting you too Jim. I noticed a huge difference in reduced oscillation when hitting a bump while towing. I felt much more in control with the Bilstein shocks.

Jim

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed the crappy factory “Ranchos” before bilstiens came out. I changed to the Rancho adjustable 9000 and what a huge difference. I had only 16K on the stock shocks. I like adjusting the rears from 3 to 8 when I tow and I keep the fronts at 6. Such a difference. Only time will tell how long they last.

Tony P
    Tony and Barbara
    2018 Reflection 337RLS
    2017 Ford F350 KR CC/SB 4X4
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast