User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Park water frozen twice

The RV park we are at is open all year at a ski resort at 7000 feet, they work hard at getting there water system insulated against freezing. But time and age have there effect on insulation. The site we are in has one of the oldest water spigot in the park. According to the maintenance tech it has been one of the most reliable over the years, yet it has frozen up twice in 2 weeks.

I was out there this morning with him trying to figure out whether if was park water or my rv water that was frozen. I hate he-said/she-said games and always found it more productive to put my dungarees on and get out in the cold with the other worker involved in resolving the issue. Everything in placed was working, yet the spigot was frozen. The RV tech immediately analyzed the spigot frozen, he had seen them before. The thermometer doohickey I got said my water hose was 28, exterior ambient 12, so probably not frozen. Spigot exterior temp was 18, hmmm. Handle would not close. Tech spotted icing around the seal. He pointed out that the cast iron on the valve transferred temp, in this case enough transfer to freeze the spigot.

When we took the outer layer of insulation off we found there was no heat tape near the valve nor around the exposed iron. He added another layer of tape and insulation. I bought a plastic waste bucked and some fiber glass, wrapped the spigot and covered it.

Hopefully we have cured the problem.

Working together always gets better results.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am friends with the manager at Cascade Meadows in Central Oregon (near La Pine). It get cold over there too. Sometimes down to -10F. Normal low is around 25F. The campground has heat strips on the faucets and boxes with insulation on the inside for all the winter sites.

I'll bet your water tank is kept full when you can fill it Dallas.
    KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I'll bet your water tank is kept full when you can fill it Dallas.
    KEN
    Was, I need to refill it. It's kind of a catch 22, we reworked the heat tape and placed a garbage can and insulation, same principle as the boxes. Now I won't need to fill the tank. RIIGGHHTT!
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750