User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting thread. I've done all this as well as a tail swing where I took out a fuel station (not in service thank God). I did not even know I'd hit the pump until I noticed the bikes hanging off the side, I took most of the rear of the 5er off -- thankful for insurance.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All good advice, I will add my take. First go slow, be patient. Second be humble, when it's FUBAR just roll with it. What I have found is that when I am standing next to my big RV after having totally failed that the folks around me are understanding and helpful, sometimes too helpful, but their intentions are good. If it's really bad call 911 and ask for assistance directing traffic, it's amazing how understanding and sympathetic people are.

There are right hand turns that we cannot make with out 41' 5th wheels. It's a fact. Swing wide, go slow, flash your headlights, if you have to sit in the middle of the intersection for 2 or 3 light changes until the lanes clear enough you can make the turns do so, make no apologies.

If you have to run your wheels over a curb do it very slowly. The suspension will take it, it's not good for it, but it will take it if you go slow.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great advice. Can't really add to the driving part, but see ahead as far as possible. What I mean is that I use google maps and my tablet as kind of a look ahead and can see what the turn lanes are available coming up(it's just one of the features that displays). Probably most gps devices show this also. It kind of saves me sometimes from that oh crap moment.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am chuckling reading this knowing that I am not the only one that has been there. Much great advice above. Remember that your trailer tires are your pivot point and there will be tail swing. Extend your mirrors, use them, and take it slowly!
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm awed by the willingness everyone has to share both their knowledge and those "oh, crap" moments. It isn't everywhere you'll find such a supportive community so willing to help those with little to no experience.

My take-aways: Practice, go slow, practice, plan ahead, practice, learn about your rig's tail swing, and, oh, did I say PRACTICE?? I especially liked @D2Reid comment,
    If it's really bad call 911 and ask for assistance directing traffic...
    There's nothing quite like admitting when you've gone too far south with a plan and CHOOSING to stop and get it fixed before it get's worse. Whether or not anyone's done that is immaterial - what's important is you've given me permission to do just that!

Thanks,
    Frank

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of bourbon!!!!!
    2017 Solitude 384GK
    2012 F350 Lariat
    Pullrite Superglide 18K

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tedzz9 View Post
    Lots of bourbon!!!!!
    Lol, one of my little celebrations is to have a good stiff drink after successfully pulling the RV hundreds of miles and parking it without destroying anything or anyone. Yes, each day this occurs, is a little tiny celebration.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like orbiker, I've pulled a few trailers in my life but never a 5v'r. Use turn signals, slow down to time your efforts with traffic coming up on your side, ease over in the left lane some, begin you turn a little later, turn sharp, and judge your efforts by watching inside RV tires path. If someone gets in the way stop, letem move on, then proceed.
    When we come home, I have to make a right hand turn on a two lane city street with a high curb. It ain't pretty with the on coming traffic on the side street. But after I block up all the traffic waiting for one of the on-comers to figure out I need a little room, a light bulb goes off in their little heads and they will stop short a let me complete the turn. Just stay patient and cool. And bask in the knowledge that to some you are number "1".
    Eddie, Cindy, n Maddie (our fearless Yorkie)
    2012 F-350 LWB 4x4 6.7 SRW C-cab with B&W Turnover + Companion pulling a 2017 307MKS Reflection

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't add too much to what everyone said. I just wanted to follow this thread.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lots of good advice. As noted, anywhere you drive (camping related or just day to day), keep watching the truckers - they do this for a living and have it all figured out. Note how they approach the intersection, and how they negotiate the turn. Most take it really slow, wait for traffic to clear as much as it will, and have no compunction about staying in lanes if it means they won't make the turn. The big one - especially if starting from a left lane to do a right turn - keep a VERY close eye out for the cars that try to squeeze in on your right side, to get around you and make their right turn. No matter how little room there is, some &*(^% will try to make it......just let him go....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast