User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving Question: Turning right from 2 lanes onto 2 lanes

Haven't bought anything yet, but still thinking hard about a Solitude 374. Planning to have a F350 diesel DRW as the tow vehicle. I've driven pickups with trailers and have no fear of backing a boat down a ramp; but, I've never driven a vehicle dragging something with three axles that's over 40-feet long!

I'd appreciate hearing from folks experienced with long rigs about how well they contend with making a 90-degree right turn from a two-lane street onto another two-lane street. The last thing I want to do is take out a stop sign with the curb side of a $100K rig...

Any words of wisdom from folks who started with my level of experience (near zero) or consummate professionals would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,
    Frank

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Frank,

Start from as close to the left side of the right lane as you can get. Go slow and watch your right side convex mirror. If you need to go into the left lane of the roadway you are entering to get the trailer tires around the corner . . . do so. All the 18 wheelers have signs on the back saying "this vehicle makes wide right hand turns" . . . there is a reason for that .

If there is something like a post right on the corner, I have moved well into the left lane before turning, with right turn signal on. Usually (but not always!) others understand what it is that you need to do.

As you approach the intersection, look for the dotted lines that indicate two lanes turning right. Take the left one if this is an option.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will want to pull out as far as possible before turning the truck to the right. Think about or watch how big rigs do it and follow the same method. Best thing is to find an empty parking lot and practice so you can see what kind of tail swing you have and figure out where the turning point is on the trailer. Also make sure you can see your wheels in your mirror, this will help with seeing curbs and other low lying objects.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    . . . so you can see what kind of tail swing you have
    FT4NOW . . . good point on remembering the tail swing. 18 wheelers don't have to worry much about this . . . but, we do!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory1199 View Post
    Haven't bought anything yet, but still thinking hard about a Solitude 374. Planning to have a F350 diesel DRW as the tow vehicle. I've driven pickups with trailers and have no fear of backing a boat down a ramp; but, I've never driven a vehicle dragging something with three axles that's over 40-feet long!

I'd appreciate hearing from folks experienced with long rigs about how well they contend with making a 90-degree right turn from a two-lane street onto another two-lane street. The last thing I want to do is take out a stop sign with the curb side of a $100K rig...

Any words of wisdom from folks who started with my level of experience (near zero) or consummate professionals would be sincerely appreciated!

Thanks,
    Frank
    I'm about the length of tractor trailer with my DRW long bed and 315RLTS. I have learned to plan where I'm going and where I'm stopping after the first couple of tows. The worst mistake was getting stuck in little Alabama town where I was forced to make a couple of very sharp turns on old, narrow, downtown roads. I still don't know how I didn't hit anything.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hickory - all good advice above. I'll add a couple. If there's traffic in the left lane of the road you're turning on to, wait for them to clear or signal them to go ahead so you can pull into that lane as you make the turn. A rear view camera on the back of your trailer will be invaluable IF you ever have to back up to avoid hitting a curbside obstacle. When I took my "R" endorsement driver's test (required in NY) I had to turn right onto a very narrow street. I saw that the trailer (43' toy hauler) was going to hit the curb so I stopped, backed up, swung wider and had to cross into the oncoming lane to complete the turn. I said to the examiner "well I guess I just failed". He told me that running over the curb would have been a failure as it would show that I did not know how to drive a vehicle this large.
    2017 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS, purchased April 2018. 2014 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (I need a bigger truck!). Oswego NY in the summer, Ft. Myers Beach, Fl in the winter. GD is my summer home. Previously owned: 2015 Rockwood 2604WS; 2012 KZ Stoneridge 43' toy hauler; 2005 Titanium 39' toy hauler.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the advice given in the previous posts is good. Our rig is 58’ long from the front bumper of the truck and the rear of the ladder on the camper. As someone mentioned previously observe truck drivers in driving situations around town and take note. Pulling a large fifth wheel is very similar to driving an 18 wheeler with the exception of the tail swing phenomenon that was mentioned. The tractor for an 18 wheeler is designed to carry a larger portion (more pin weight) of the trailer weight therefore the trailer wheels are typically pushed to the very rear of the trailer which makes them easier to back up, turn, etc.

Some tactics I use are as follows: 1. I take my time and avoid congested travel times when possible; 2. I will go a bit out of the way to utilize a traffic light (especially if I need to turn left); 3. I run my lights all the time in an effort to be as visible to other drivers as possible; 4. I did add the backup/observation camera to our rig and utilize it when on the road; 5. I love the mirrors on my truck and use them; 6. I fill up at truck stops using the diesel lanes which takes the stress out of refueling even though is does take a bit longer - most auto diesel dispensers are not very accessible for bigger rigs especially with a lot of four wheelers adding congestion; 7. Learn to use your mirrors when turning to monitor the location of the trailer tires - if you remember to have the trailer tires in line with any obstructions you are trying to clear before turning your are unlikely to hit the obstruction on that side. 8. I follow the rule of thumb truck drivers are often taught: GOAL (Get Out And Look) and I feel this applies mostly when backing your rig and avoiding tail swing issues that are more probably in close quarters parking lot/campground situations. 9. I book us in to full hookup campgrounds that are designed for larger rigs - some campgrounds and especially many of the state campgrounds are not “big rig friendly.”

As for the turns practice, practice, practice - it can be helpful to go out early on a weekend morning when traffic is minimal and test different turns and road situations so that you when you encounter similar circumstances throughout your travels you will be more prepared.

Just be patient and have fun - good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a pickup camper to a 42ft Momentum. I had NEVER pulled a 5'er. The biggest trailerI had pulled was a 20ft enclosed trailer with the pickup camper also.

The tips above are right on. Practice somewhere huge, with nothing around. I pulled our 5'er around the RV lot I purchased from for 2 hours before I felt comfortable to go home ( I had to back the huge rig into our 41ft 6in driveway ). The dealership was supposed to give me towing lessons per an agreement.

The main thing I have learned is to plan and take it slow and easy. You can also get away with going in the other lanes slowly because you are very large. They don't want to be hit by you any more then you would want to hit them.

Safe travels, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m only the navigator in our twosome, but I’ve spent a lot of time standing in intersections on google earth. In street level mode, you can see every marking in the road.

Destination personnel will usually tell you the best way to approach their facility, and if you should take an alternate route.

Sticking to major truck routes in any locality will afford you those “stop here on red” margins on right-hand turns.

As everyone else said, practice, take your time, and get comfortable with your trailer.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll straddle the yellow line a little if I have to getting ready for the turn. Parked vehicles are the worst thing to deal with. Sometimes you’ll even have to back up a little to get the truck jackknifed enough to clear the traffic on the street you are turning onto.

Just remember, a significant number of the people sharing the road will be sympathetic to your situation and will yield or move to help if they can.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast