User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atwood Refrigerator Auxiliary Fans

I’ve been through a full season with my 303 now, and extreme heat is a little problematic with the refrigerator. Now that it’s mod season, I want to add some air flow over the condenser to help it out.

Mine has the baffle and chimney board installed as recommended by Atwood. I’ve looked at several upgraded fan installations around the web, and I thought I knew how I was going to do it. But when I took a tape measure and flashlight to my rig, my plans fell apart. It seems that my refrigerator is much tighter to the wall than most I’ve seen. There isn’t room between the chimney board and the cover to allow any of the fan to protrude into this area. It looks like the space between the condenser and the baffle is my only option, and there I’d be limited to about a 4.50” fan. With 20” long vent slots in the cover, I could fit 5 fans, but 4 might be a practical limit.

So reconsidering, I’m thinking about a single 200mm fan inside the lower access panel pushing air up and then a couple of smaller fans above pulling air out. Anybody done this or have thoughts?

I have an adjustable thermostat that I plan to install for them. I’d like some kind of temperature monitor to keep an eye on how well things are working. I’m planning on an Acurite wireless to monitor freezer and refrigerator temps, but I don’t know if there is something easy and cheap to do the exterior temp.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.arprv.com/products.php#4-arp-3.1-2-fan

John , check this link they have some small thin fans. If the link works I will be excited. My first copy,paste link

Brian

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post

John , check this link they have some small thin fans. If the link works I will be excited. My first copy,paste link

Brian
    Congrats, link works fine. My first was last week and appreciated someone telling me it doesn’t go blue til you post. Nice packages there.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,

You are right that the space behind the fridge in a 303 is less than most! My original Atwood fridge had a single 3 3/4" wide fan. Do you have this fan and is it working? There looks to be space to add one or two more to get more air flow. My experience is that fans "push" air through a space more effectively than they "pull" air. The heat exchanger tends to have relatively high flow resistance and the air will come around it rather than through it if pulled by a fan.

My Atwood died on electric, then died on propane, then I got the electric running again . . . then, I replaced it with a Dometic. Fitting the dometic into that shallow space is another whole story .

This Atwood is still sitting in a shed keeping the beer cold . . . if you were wondering where that picture comes from .

And Brian . . . your link works

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3794.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad the link worked, another member posted this site so I thought to pass it on.

Brian

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
    I was thinking about doing a similar modification on my 303RLS with Atwood Refer. I stumbled across these fans and was wondering if anyone has tried them? They are a different kind of fan than the ARP box fan.

If the specs are right, pretty impressive on 140mm unit. Higher CFM, Quieter, Lower power, thinner, PWM models, long life, lower cost. Sounds to good to be true?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA68V46Y1202

Pat
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro Gearloose View Post
    I was thinking about doing a similar modification on my 303RLS with Atwood Refer. I stumbled across these fans and was wondering if anyone has tried them? They are a different kind of fan than the ARP box fan.

If the specs are right, pretty impressive on 140mm unit. Higher CFM, Quieter, Lower power, thinner, PWM models, long life, lower cost. Sounds to good to be true?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIA68V46Y1202

Pat
    Hi Guys,

If/when somebody tries this, please post what you learn.
    The fan on my Dometic is quieter and comes on far less frequently than the Atwood did, but is still very audible.
    I would pull the fridge to replace the fan if this new design moves more air and is actually quieter.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve used a Coolermaster 200mm in another project and may go with it for the lower fan. 110cfm and 19dBA for less than $15.

I don’t know that I have an existing fan. I’ve tried to see in there, but viewing from top or bottom seems pretty tough. I’ve tried using a mirror but I need more light. Waiting on my endoscope to charge now.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I’ve used a Coolermaster 200mm in another project and may go with it for the lower fan. 110cfm and 19dBA for less than $15.

I don’t know that I have an existing fan. I’ve tried to see in there, but viewing from top or bottom seems pretty tough. I’ve tried using a mirror but I need more light. Waiting on my endoscope to charge now.
    110cfm 19dBA <$15 pretty good. Will check out.

If you have a smart phone, my goto is taking a pic with flash
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    I don’t know that I have an existing fan.
    Hi John,

The fan on our Atwood was very audible and cycled on/off frequently. I remember having to turn up the TV volume to hear over the fridge fan. If you have this fan and it is coming on . . . you would know.

As Pat says, I have used my iPhone camera to take pictures of things around corners and in spaces that I couldn't otherwise see.

200 mm is almost 8" . . . that fan is not going to fit behind the fridge in a 303 . . .

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-16-2018 at 04:34 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast