Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone domicile in Utah?

Hi - We're hoping to go full time in the not-so-distant future while we search for our next permanent location. We really like Utah so we're wondering about pros/cons to set up domicile there since we actually might end up there. I'd be surprised if we end up full timing for more than 2 years, but I suppose you never know. Anyone have any thoughts on Utah to share?
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With family located in Utah, I spend a lot of time there during all the seasons. One of the largest considerations would be the location you are considering. The Moab, St. George, Kanab areas in the south have relatively mild winters, but can have blistering hot summers. Anything farther north, and you'll have more mild summers, but severe winters.

Jim

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Hi - We're hoping to go full time in the not-so-distant future while we search for our next permanent location. We really like Utah so we're wondering about pros/cons to set up domicile there since we actually might end up there. I'd be surprised if we end up full timing for more than 2 years, but I suppose you never know. Anyone have any thoughts on Utah to share?
    I’d suggest you research their website on cost of tags, taxes, etc compared to RI in the short term. Access to healthcare is also something to consider. We have relatives that transferred to SLC 8 years ago and live in Draper. They like that area.

Alan
    Alan and Kathleen
    2015 Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
    2014 Ford F350 Dually (Stormtrooper)
    2012 Honda Goldwing Navi/ABS (Land Speeder)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are spending more and more time in Utah, but the 4% income tax is a turn off.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aside from taxes, healthcare options, and where your address is, there are other factors to consider.

Along the Wasatch Front (Weber, Davis, Salt Lake, and Utah Counties) there are annual vehicle emissions inspections. Cache County requires them every two years for vehicles 6 years old and older. At the moment, Utah County exempts diesel trucks, but I hear that is changing. The state recently eliminated the annual safety inspection. It is relatively easy to register an ATV as street-legal, but you do have to have lights, horn, mirrors, turn signals, and at least a 1/2 windshield.

Vehicle registration includes an age-based fee.

Finding an RV lot in Utah can be done, but most of them are in 55+ parks/resorts.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, that's every other year until 6 years for the inspection, then every year.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The thing you have to watch is luxury tax. You generally pay income taxes to the state you work in. But I was curious about Utah. Do they charge a luxury tax on RVs or cars?
    Last edited by chemist308; 12-23-2018 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Clarifying
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 3500 SRW
    https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7803/4...56f2161a_m.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chemist308 View Post
    The thing you have to watch is luxury tax. You generally pay income taxes to the state you work in. But I was curious about Utah. Do they charge a luxury tax on RVs or cars?
    No they don't. My 5th wheel registration this year was $166.00. My truck was about the same.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tags and registration is expensive in Utah and insurance is crazy expensive. There is a saying, "Utah drivers".
    Texas is much cheaper all the way around, without reservation, unequivocal.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe TX requires a safety inspection on vehicles including trailers? Utah has no such requirement.

Utah allows towing on a standard DL. I believe that over 10,000 in TX requires something additional?

There are trade-offs all over.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast