Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitch Extender

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hitch Extender

I have a short bed pick up and may want to use the loadallv3 bed system to carry my motorcycle. I want to bring my travel travel too Anyone use a hitch extender to allow the trailer to be hooked and not in the way of the trail gate or extended bike wheel? A toy hauler is an option but really don’t want to spend any more money at this point. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike718 View Post
    I have a short bed pick up and may want to use the loadallv3 bed system to carry my motorcycle. I want to bring my travel travel too Anyone use a hitch extender to allow the trailer to be hooked and not in the way of the trail gate or extended bike wheel? A toy hauler is an option but really don’t want to spend any more money at this point. Thoughts?
    I had the same situation. I had a short bed truck prior, and had a side by side in the bed with the tailgate open. I searched for a hitch extender and created a couple threads such as yours. I ended up finding one at etrailer that fit the bill. I think it was something like 14 inches long, and extended the hitch a total of 8 inches. It works so I could pull the trailer with the tailgate open. I expiremnted with turns carefully. I found the tailgate could come into contact with my plastic propane cover, especially on a sharp right turn or backing. I mean it had to be very sharp. So I removed the right propane tank for travel, and reinforced that side of the cover a bit since it moved a bit without the tank inside of it.

Knowing what I know know, I would have bought a 2.5” shank instead of a 2” shank extender. This would have given me a higher tongue rating on the extender. I can’t recall all the numbers now. Those extenders can be difficult to find.

Let me know if you have further questions.

I now have a longbed, so I don’t need it any longer.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be helpful to know which truck, TT and sway control hitch you have to get the best advice on this.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been down this road. I own a LoadAll v3 modified to now be a LoadAll v2. (I had to replace the v3 dolly meant for a short bed with a v2 dolly so the ramp will extend past the tailgate.) I went from a standard bed F-250 to a long bed F-350 DRW and my Goldwing still doesn't fit! But at least I can bring the bike (with the tailgate propped open slightly) and tow my 315RLTS. I went this way because 1) I didn't want a toy hauler and 2) I wanted the ability to take the bike without the RV.

I don't want to overwhelm you with information as you asked about extenders. See https://www.etrailer.com/question-239785.html for the hitch payload hit you take when using an extender.

If you want further info on the LoadAll or my setup let me know.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info, I've been looking at the hitch extenders since you mentioned it. I need to do some checking on max tongue weight on my trailer and take some measurements. I talked with Paul at Loadall and he said I could take off my tailgate which would help too and use their 550 model. My Indian is pretty long. I like this capability as well as I won't always take the bike camping and gives me the option of just taking the bike and not have to buy a bike trailer...... Thanks for the post and info .

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I talked with Paul at Loadall and he said I could take off my tailgate...
    Exactly what I had to do when I had the F-250 w/the standard bed. I couldn't tow with the tailgate down. I found in actual practice it was a royal pain to take the tailgate off and I didn't like that once I arrived at the camping location I didn't have a way to close up my bed (I had a tonneau cover). There's electrical dummy connections that must be installed (at least on my Ford) that are under the rear of the truck, so crawling underneath was required, too.

The process is much easier with a long bed truck. If only the bike fit it would be super easy. What I do to secure the tailgate is put two plastic wheel chocks between the end of the LoadAll and the tailgate's pivot point, positioning the chocks so that the tailgate doesn't strike the bike (but it's real close). Then I use cargo straps to connect the tailgate retaining straps (I disconnect them from the truck) to an anchor point in the truck's bed. Works great--nice and secure.

I don't have any pics with me (I'm at work) but if you're interested let me know and I'll post them later when I get home.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also use “DG Tailgate” bars. They add support when loading and hold the tailgate up in certain positions. Hers a pic from their website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 7217F276-58ED-4B7A-A2B4-9BBCD2CAA3BB.jpeg  
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
    I also use “DG Tailgate” bars. They add support when loading and hold the tailgate up in certain positions. Hers a pic from their website.
    I haven't seen these before--thank you! Those will save wrestling with the cargo straps. I'm always looking for ways to make the logistics involved with the RV faster/easier/simpler.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a truck camper for 18 years and use a 48" draw bar to pull a trailer. It's not so much the bar as it is the hitch it self. with our set of up the ball mount was over 7 feet behind the rear axle. Most factory hitches are not rated for use with a extended draw bar.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Generally speaking a hitch extension reduces the hitch tow rating by 50%.
    2020 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW
    Solitude 320X sold
    2020 Raptor 356
    2012 Primetime Crusader 355BHQ (GF's)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast