User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Range Hood Vent— not an optimal design

Not seen much discussion about the outdoor vent cover for the range hood. On my 2014, it’s a pretty cheap thing with little plastic dogs to keep it closed.

Two major problems I see. First, no way am I going to remember to dog that closed before a rain or wind event. Probably be hard to remember to do so before hitting the road, though a checklist will help. Second, the dogs are tiny, cheap plastic that will never hold up unless I’m really underestimating them.

Is there a better option, or am I imagining a problem that isn’t there?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Not seen much discussion about the outdoor vent cover for the range hood. On my 2014, it’s a pretty cheap thing with little plastic dogs to keep it closed.

Two major problems I see. First, no way am I going to remember to dog that closed before a rain or wind event. Probably be hard to remember to do so before hitting the road, though a checklist will help. Second, the dogs are tiny, cheap plastic that will never hold up unless I’m really underestimating them.

My 2018 doesn’t even vent, so it could be worse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi John,

This range vent was hardly discussed . . . until it was taken away (as tortoise describes) and replaced with a system that vents through a filter back into the interior. Makes all of us with the external vent system . . . quite happy .

The whole system is built to typical RV standards (which is to say, very minimal) but, actually works amazingly well. The little plastic clips are still there and functional on ours after 5 seasons. No need to clip the vent closed for rain or wind events. We try to remember to clip it closed before towing . . . but, have not always remembered to do that! The fan is very noisy but moves a lot of air. As I have commented on here before . . . when we are having bacon for breakfast, the whole campground knows .

Rob
    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 12-20-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had water infiltrate 2 times in 5 years during heavy rain/wind events. End up with a puddle. The winds each time were in excess of 60mph. Doesn't happen often enough to be concerned about . What was odd is we got a wet counter between the stove and fridge but the stove/oven and below remain dry.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 12-20-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post

Hi John,
    First, let me say that you do a very good job of describing the part in question. For the first couple of months, we’d forget to snap those dogs shut too. However, we now have a fail-safe reminder. We took my satellite radio receiver out of my car and installed it in our trailer. Bruce removed the exhaust fan filter and cover, and ran the extra long antenna wire (maybe he bought new, longer) out the exhaust. I affixed a small strip magnet to the outside of the exhaust flap. Now when we break down, we gather the antenna cord from the top front awning, twist tie it and snap the exhaust flap shut. The small, square antenna grabs the magnet and rides there nicely. The dogs, or tabs, are still holding up well, even with the stress of a small wire pushing against them. That works to remind us, but I’ve also put reminders on labels for other things we forget. For example, you go to storage for your levelers when you arrive, so I made a label for the inside of the storage door: mirrors.
    Hate rolling down the window at a red light to bang in the mirror because you know you’re coming up on a tight fit!
    Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my 2017 Imagine 2600RB, I noticed after a trip that the flapper was gone on my range vent. I called GDRV who in typical fashion sent out a new vent. The small diameter plastic pins had sheared off on the original and I noticed the replacement had larger diameter pins and the method of holding this closed was the same....not so strong.
    Before I installed this vent, another one showed up a few days later which had the larger pins, and a dual clasp that was far more robust in keeping it closed. I cleaned the caulk from the original and removed the old vent but noticed moist air would flow over the outside skin which had a wood core. Didn't care for this and was concerned about a delamination over time?
    I used a silver tacky furnace duct tape (I'm sure there is a proper name for this) and sealed this area, installed the new vent and re-calked the outer panel. Have not had an issue since.
    As Rob stated, this vent moves a great deal of air and works very well in distributing that wonderful bacon aroma.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-25-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than post a new thread, I searched and found this one which seems on point. Call me crazy, but I expected the damper to close, albeit lightly, when the fan is not on. I noticed hot humid air coming from the hood and knew the damper must be open. Sure enough, I saw it halfway open outside.

The tech at the dealer just told me that I have to manually close it when I am not running it. Is this right?

Going to use the hood?
    Step 1 go outside and unlock the "door" (because if I have to do this, it isn't a damper but a door)
    Step 2 run hood fan
    Step 3 when done, go outside and lock the hood door.

2020 Imagine 2800

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The vent on my other trailers would just flop closed in the absence of airflow from the exhaust fan, then you secure with tabs for travel. Perhaps yours was not built to the usual exacting tolerances of RV equipment, maybe shave a little material off so it will close easier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MachWun View Post
    Rather than post a new thread, I searched and found this one which seems on point. Call me crazy, but I expected the damper to close, albeit lightly, when the fan is not on. I noticed hot humid air coming from the hood and knew the damper must be open. Sure enough, I saw it halfway open outside.

The tech at the dealer just told me that I have to manually close it when I am not running it. Is this right?

Going to use the hood?
    Step 1 go outside and unlock the "door" (because if I have to do this, it isn't a damper but a door)
    Step 2 run hood fan
    Step 3 when done, go outside and lock the hood door.

2020 Imagine 2800
    What about a label above the awning switch? It could just say “vent”. If you pull in the awning, close the vent. If the awning is open, the open vent is not a problem. Surely in a high wind event, you’ll pull in your awning, and that seems to be the only time water is driven in.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not concerned so much about remembering to close it. Today you can feel the heat coming through it. I never use it. I cook outside.

What I am hearing is yes, it is a door not a damper. Add it to the list of items that work differently in an RV (but don't have to). Dumb as ____!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast