User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I went from P rated to LT on my 2009 F-150 and it absolutely destroyed the ride quality. I regretted it instantly.
    Leon T,

What pressures were you running unloaded?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    How can you tell if your rim can handle LT tires and higher pressures? Hopefully that isn't too dumb of a question haha. I'll be needing new tires on my expedition before the next season and debating lt tires as well.
    Also, would I need to do anything to the ford built in TPMS or would it work with LT tires too?
    These are good questions. I will not be running my LT tires at max capacity but will air them up based on load which should be fine. Lionshead confirmed moving up on the Imagine where our truck factory rims are much higher quality. For the TPMS, the dealer may be able to determine the max range on your OEM sensors.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we had our 150 van years ago towing our a-liner we put the LT tires on it. When towing we aired them all the way up and with the towing weight the ride was fine. When not towing we lowered the air pressure which made the not towing ride fine also. The more stable towing with those LT tires was great. Before we got them we would be all over the road. With the LT tires you would have thought we had a WDH which we didn't but it towed like it did. We had an extra leaf added to the back of the van though which did a lot for the towing as well.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Leon T,

What pressures were you running unloaded?
    I was running 50 psi. Max was 80 and I wasn't comfortable running 35 in them. I think a load range C would have been OK. These were load range E, which was way overkill and sidewalls too stiff. BFG AT with aftermarket rims.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I was running 50 psi. Max was 80 and I wasn't comfortable running 35 in them. I think a load range C would have been OK. These were load range E, which was way overkill and sidewalls too stiff. BFG AT with aftermarket rims.
    I really would like a D rated LT tire but they do not exist. From what I see on the load tables I'm leaning toward 60-65 at max load and 40 empty which is what I run on the P tires. They will be somewhat stiffer with the heavy duty construction of the sidewall.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is running 40-50 on lt tires essentially underinflating them and therefore will result in outer tread wear? Or is the inflation ok since the weight on them is greatly reduced when not towing? Googled Michelin defender lt inflation tables and only found them for what appears to be commercial truck tires. Never found a table for their 18" tire (275/65/18)
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    Is running 40-50 on lt tires essentially underinflating them and therefore will result in outer tread wear? Or is the inflation ok since the weight on them is greatly reduced when not towing? Googled Michelin defender lt inflation tables and only found them for what appears to be commercial truck tires. Never found a table for their 18" tire (275/65/18)
    wstcoaster07 - You should be able to find the load/pressure specs for your tires in one of the tables attached to this thread.https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ering-LT-tires Note that these tables will apply by tire size to any manufacture’s tires.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have LT E rated tires on my F-150. Ride suffered a little, but I like it firmer. Fuel milage went down maybe 1mpg but that could also be going to winter blend gasoline. 55-60psi depending on what I'm towing makes for a much more confident ride than the P rated tires they replaced.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Getting my LT275/65R 18 Michelin Defender M/S tires installed this Saturday. Thank you for the advice. I will be running 35- 40 psi unloaded and will let you know how it rides.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the new Michelin LT275 65R 18 tires installed which replaced my Goodyear AT/S P tires. The Michelins are aired to 40 psi and the ride is excellent. Noticed on sharp inputs such as a pothole the input feels slightly more harsh but the overall ride quality is better since the Goodyear's were not so round. The Michelins are also quieter. Have gone through three balance sessions on the Goodyear tires....they really were not that good now that I am back on Michelins and have a comparison. Another interesting observation is the steering effort is reduced with the Michelins.

I should also add: Before the longer test drive, I drove home and loosened and re-torqued all four wheels. Noticed a couple lug nuts would barely break free with my impact. So much for that torque tube device that they try to convince folks that they are torqueing properly. I hand torqued all four wheels and will not need to be concerned with warped rotors now.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-29-2018 at 03:54 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast