Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I can't give you a before/after comparison, because my F150 has always had LT tires. I have a friend with the same MY F150 on P tires. We did some back-to-back comparisons and decided that the LTs definitely felt "rougher". That was at my label spec 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. (I have the HDPP suspension and he has the regular suspension . . . so, this is a difference that has some affect.) I then reduced my tire pressure to 50 psi all around. The difference was much harder to detect. He was running his label spec 35 psi. BTW, I run 50 psi all round when not towing. Probably still more than I need in the back with an empty box.

My truck does corner a whole lot better than his . This thing is a sports car that looks like a pickup truck!

Rob
    Rob,
    This makes total sense, where I'm in a half ton so with my tires at 40 psi, I have not lost any real ride quality.
    Question: Does Ford provide an alternate air pressure for max axle loads or is the door sticker the one overall recommended pressure?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Rob,
    This makes total sense, where I'm in a half ton so with my tires at 40 psi, I have not lost any real ride quality.
    Question: Does Ford provide an alternate air pressure for max axle loads or is the door sticker the one overall recommended pressure?
    Hi Jim,

The only pressure information is on the label and I would assume this is what correlates to the 8200 lb GVWR. The empty truck is about 5800 lbs. The label pressures are 55 front and 60 rear for the LT E spec tires. I take these down to 50 all round when travelling at near empty and I go to 60 front and 70 rear when towing. I could probably go lower when empty, but the "everyday" ride is quite acceptable at 50 all round. I replaced the tires at 80,000 miles and had even tread depth across all four tires . . . no indication of running over/under correct pressure.

I will be really interested in your before/after towing experience with the new tires!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Before the longer test drive, I drove home and loosened and re-torqued all four wheels. Noticed a couple lug nuts would barely break free with my impact. So much for that torque tube device that they try to convince folks that they are torqueing properly.
    Jim,

This is so true! I always loosen and re-torque after a dealer tire rotation. I have checked torques (in the increasing direction) and found them to be all over the map. To make the "Torque Stick" work, the installer has to hit every lug nut only once. Inevitably, he double checks one or two or more. This second hit drives these lug nuts way over spec torque.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

The only pressure information is on the label and I would assume this is what correlates to the 8200 lb GVWR. The empty truck is about 5800 lbs. The label pressures are 55 front and 60 rear for the LT E spec tires. I take these down to 50 all round when travelling at near empty and I go to 60 front and 70 rear when towing. I could probably go lower when empty, but the "everyday" ride is quite acceptable at 50 all round. I replaced the tires at 80,000 miles and had even tread depth across all four tires . . . no indication of running over/under correct pressure.

I will be really interested in your before/after towing experience with the new tires!

Rob
    Rob,
    With my Imagine at 940lbs tongue weight my truck axles with a full water tank on the Imagine are at 3240 for the front and 3520 for the rear. I have made some adjustments to the hitch where most likely I'm much closer to being balanced between the front and rear axles. Will need to head to the scales again in the spring.
    I will be using the load tables but will most likely be leaning toward a 50 front and 60 rear for my towing to gain the benefit of the stiffer side wall. I will also be monitoring tire wear.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-30-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm wondering if the sidewalls on the Michelins are more forgiving than the BFG ATs I was running on my half ton. They were nothing short of terrible as far as ride quality goes.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My situation is not what yours is as I have always run 3/4 ton and one ton trucks but I will say the LT E rated Michelin Defender is a great tire. I’m running them on my F-350. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I'm wondering if the sidewalls on the Michelins are more forgiving than the BFG ATs I was running on my half ton. They were nothing short of terrible as far as ride quality goes.
    My F150 HDPP came with LT BFG Rugged Trail T/As. They rode well and wore well. I replaced these tires with exactly the same at 80,000 miles. I probably could have pushed the original tires further since wear was very even.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My F150 HDPP came with LT BFG Rugged Trail T/As. They rode well and wore well. I replaced these tires with exactly the same at 80,000 miles. I probably could have pushed the original tires further since wear was very even.

Rob
    Mine were load range E, which likely were different than your OEM. I've seen those Rugged Trail tires in lower load ranges over the years.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I'm not sure but I am aired down at 40 psi. Also two days ago I replaced the rear shocks. When looking at the scoring on the Michelin on TireRack it does score high on ride and noise.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-30-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from P rated BF Goodrich Rugged Trails to Michelin LTX in LRE and I didn't find much difference in towing stability though. Thought it was just memory playing tricks on me but in the last couple of days had to bring the 297 home to do some mods and towed with P rated Toyo GS5 Winter tires and again didn't notice a difference with towing stability. I would have thought that brand new winter tires would have been a less stable for sure but seemed fine. I have them aired up to 33 PSI per the door sticker and the LT's to 55 per Michelin. I need to replace the Michelin's in the spring before we go to Florida for a couple of weeks and not sure the LT are worth the extra money as stability doesn't seem to make a difference. Tire shop suggested some Laufen P-rated tires as they have a higher than normal load capacity. Had not heard of Laufen before.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast