User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who has replaced P tires with LT tires on their half ton trucks?

I'm in the process in replacing my OEM Goodyear P rated tires (112T) on my half ton truck and would like to move up to a higher load rating but do not need overkill. The issue is there are not many options for the 265/65R18 tire.

I would like to purchase the Michelin Defender tire and I can either move up slightly to a 116T rating or up to an E 121T rated tire in 275/65R18. I can air the Michelin LT tires at 50 psi while not towing but I am wondering how much I will give up on the ride quality. Has anyone out there moved from P rated tires to E rated tires on their half tons?
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made the change when I had my F150 and a bumper pull trailer.

The ride was a bit more harsh with the heavier rated tires, but the improvement in handling while towing was very much worth while.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post

The ride was a bit more harsh with the heavier rated tires, but the improvement in handling while towing was very much worth while.
    Thank you. Did your daily fuel economy take a hit? The LT tires that I will most likely install are heavier so it will take more energy to spin these up. I really only need a D rated tire but its the current tire at a comparable C rating or an E rated tire that's available. The Toyo inflation information on the other thread is helpful where I should be able to air the Michelins as far down as 45 psi for daily driving.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Thank you. Did your daily fuel economy take a hit? The LT tires that I will most likely install are heavier so it will take more energy to spin these up. I really only need a D rated tire but its the current tire at a comparable C rating or an E rated tire that's available. The Toyo inflation information on the other thread is helpful where I should be able to air the Michelins as far down as 45 psi for daily driving.
    When we had our E 150 (5.8l) pulling the old TT we had load tires and it made a great differrence in load handling (we also added an extra leaf spring). We never saw a change in mileage due to tires . Only changes in mileage were the usual lower mileage driving in the hills or mountains.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post

I don't recall any remarkable change in fuel mileage.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DougW9876 View Post

This. I run 32PSI in them unloaded but the ride is still a bit harsh. At 50PSI towing the handling is much better, no more "squishy" feeling.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys,
    I will buy the Michelin Defenders LT275/65R 18. They will be 10mm wider than the OEM P tire which will not be an issue. I'm a firm believer in keeping things OEM since there is a ton of work that goes into these products. But cost is also a factor so I will move up to a higher load capacity tire on my truck and will air them up based on load. I've already done this with the Imagine moving from D rated to E rated Endurance tires and I'm totally satisfied in making this move.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

I can't give you a before/after comparison, because my F150 has always had LT tires. I have a friend with the same MY F150 on P tires. We did some back-to-back comparisons and decided that the LTs definitely felt "rougher". That was at my label spec 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. (I have the HDPP suspension and he has the regular suspension . . . so, this is a difference that has some affect.) I then reduced my tire pressure to 50 psi all around. The difference was much harder to detect. He was running his label spec 35 psi. BTW, I run 50 psi all round when not towing. Probably still more than I need in the back with an empty box.

My truck does corner a whole lot better than his . This thing is a sports car that looks like a pickup truck!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you tell if your rim can handle LT tires and higher pressures? Hopefully that isn't too dumb of a question haha. I'll be needing new tires on my expedition before the next season and debating lt tires as well.
    Also, would I need to do anything to the ford built in TPMS or would it work with LT tires too?
    Last edited by wstcoaster07; 12-22-2018 at 09:52 PM.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from P rated to LT on my 2009 F-150 and it absolutely destroyed the ride quality. I regretted it instantly.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast