User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Late to the party here. Back in 2012, my family and I were heading to Disney World in Florida for a long trip. At the time our tow vehicle was a 1999 F150 Super Cab XLT towing a 30 foot 6K wet weight ultralight trailer. When towing with the truck, it always felt weird for about the first 30 or 40 minutes of the trip. It was kind of squirmy in the rear of the truck. Prior to the trip, I found my truck's tires were a possible solution to this issue I was having. This was after posting and searching on several forums. Many responses stated I should install air bags and problem solved. I had a set of P265/70R17C on the truck. The door tag call for LT265/70R17E. Which is kind of funny since I even looked at the door tag and just didn't registered the first go around. Even more crazy, I was doing odd jobs with the truck. I would load it up with scrap metal, asphalt, moving stuff, landscaping materials, etc to make some gas money. I would not notice it as much unless the trailer was in tow.

At the time, I was unemployed so the budget for tires was not there. However, my wife and I found a way to make it work since the local Ford Dealer offered 0% financing plus a credit for opening a new store charge. I cracked up since Ford had no problem giving me money even without a job. The dealership I was going to at the time got me a fantastic price on the tires mounted and balanced as well. So I ordered the tires. Several hundred dollars later, the truck had new tires. When it came time to tow down to Florida it was a huge difference. I could tell it right away. Even unloaded, the truck felt different in ride quality. It just rode better. The tow down to Florida was great tire wise. Since then, if I own a truck, I make sure there are LTs on it as it will be needed for towing.
    2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty XLT CCSB 4x4 6.2 gasser 3.73 E locker
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 285BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wstcoaster07 View Post
    Yeah, that's what the guy at Costco told me over the phone. I looked on the inside rim visible but didn't see anything. It may be on the "inner inside" only visible with the actual rubber removed. I'll take another look when I get a chance to pull the tire off tomorrow or have the installer check it for me when he removes the rubber.
    So what did you find out about the max wheel pressure?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy told me they wouldn't have put it on if the rim wasn't rated at full pressure. I didn't really get the impression that he was saying they visually confirmed that though. I also don't expect I'll ever go above 60cold since that is well above the weight limit my expedition axles can hold anyway.
    2019 2800BH
    BlueOx Swaypro BXW1500
    2017 Expedition EL XLT w/heavy duty tow package w/ Michelin Defender LTX LT275/65/18

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I change the tires on a F150 from P rated to LT rated, how do I adjust the built in TPMS so I know when a tire is losing air?
    And for those that run with a higher pressure when towing, do you adjust the computer every time you add or delete air?
    And is adjusting the computer parameters something that is DIY or does the Ford garage have to do it?
    Thanks in advance for the replies.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    If I change the tires on a F150 from P rated to LT rated, how do I adjust the built in TPMS so I know when a tire is losing air?
    And for those that run with a higher pressure when towing, do you adjust the computer every time you add or delete air?
    And is adjusting the computer parameters something that is DIY or does the Ford garage have to do it?
    Thanks in advance for the replies.
    Not sure what year your truck is, but with ForScan software and a Bluetooth reader you can make these changes. There's a ton of information online--google it!
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased a 2018 F150 in Nov and first thing I did was switch the Michelin defenders off my 2013 ( 20,000 mile ) to the new truck. I run 40lbs when not towing and 55lbs when towing. I called Michelin when I first put them on the 2013 and they said those lbs would give the max tire load capacity for the truck. No need for 80lbs. Actually, I think they said I could do 35 empty but I like 40 better. Tires are wearing great and towing great. Towing a 2500RL.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Jim,

I can't give you a before/after comparison, because my F150 has always had LT tires. I have a friend with the same MY F150 on P tires. We did some back-to-back comparisons and decided that the LTs definitely felt "rougher". That was at my label spec 55 psi front and 60 psi rear. (I have the HDPP suspension and he has the regular suspension . . . so, this is a difference that has some affect.) I then reduced my tire pressure to 50 psi all around. The difference was much harder to detect. He was running his label spec 35 psi. BTW, I run 50 psi all round when not towing. Probably still more than I need in the back with an empty box.

My truck does corner a whole lot better than his . This thing is a sports car that looks like a pickup truck!

Rob
    It seems the Ford's are changing for 2019. Looking at the Ford website under F150 specs, you can still get LT rated tires as an option, but there is no longer a choice to get the 3.73 gears in the rear. Also, no HD payload package. This is only with the 3.5TT. The other smaller motors still have a 3.73 option. And Raptor has a 4.10 option. So I guess the HD package didn't sell enough. Maybe because they didn't advertise it...
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSwick View Post
    It seems the Ford's are changing for 2019. Looking at the Ford website under F150 specs, you can still get LT rated tires as an option, but there is no longer a choice to get the 3.73 gears in the rear. Also, no HD payload package. This is only with the 3.5TT. The other smaller motors still have a 3.73 option. And Raptor has a 4.10 option. So I guess the HD package didn't sell enough. Maybe because they didn't advertise it...
    Hi BigSwick,

The HDPP is still there with the 3.5L, 3.73 axle and LT tires. https://shop.ford.com/build/f150/?ve...994.AWD.XL.%5D Click on the "Summary" tab in the center of this page. Also see screen grab from the "Capabilities" page from near the end of the 2018 online brochure.

Ford has never made this package easy to find .

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019  HDPP.jpeg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riven1950 View Post
    I purchased a 2018 F150 in Nov and first thing I did was switch the Michelin defenders off my 2013 ( 20,000 mile ) to the new truck. I run 40lbs when not towing and 55lbs when towing. I called Michelin when I first put them on the 2013 and they said those lbs would give the max tire load capacity for the truck. No need for 80lbs. Actually, I think they said I could do 35 empty but I like 40 better. Tires are wearing great and towing great. Towing a 2500RL.
    I forgot to mention I also installed Bilstein shocks with the tires. Will do this again on my new truck when I need new tires. Bilsteins, you can really tell a positive difference.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by riven1950 View Post
    I forgot to mention I also installed Bilstein shocks with the tires. Will do this again on my new truck when I need new tires. Bilsteins, you can really tell a positive difference.
    I installed Bilstein's on my truck and am also satisfied in how they handle empty. Need to wait til spring in Michigan to see how they handle loaded.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345