User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for anyone with slide out toppers: How well do they handle snow?

A question for anyone with slide out toppers that glamp in the winter. How do they do in the snow? Does the snow get under them and make cleaning up a bigger chore when you need to move the rv? Without toppers, if the slide outs get snow on them and then the sun comes out, the roof gets areas of ice that are a PIA to get off before moving. Looking at getting some snow tonight, I think I will be more diligent about brooming it off before any melting can go on. Ice under a topper seems like it could be a real big PIA to remove.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have not done much "snow" camping, but have seen maybe 3" of snow/ice buildup on a few occasions. I have never had a problem with snow or ice getting under the topper. If the snow is dry, it will fall off as the topper rolls up. I have used a hot water hose to spray the ice off as it rolls up, if the temperature is close to freezing. Certainly more snow accumulation than a few inches should be swept off before bringing in the slides.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    We have not done much "snow" camping, but have seen maybe 3" of snow/ice buildup on a few occasions. I have never had a problem with snow or ice getting under the topper. If the snow is dry, it will fall off as the topper rolls up. I have used a hot water hose to spray the ice off as it rolls up, if the temperature is close to freezing. Certainly more snow accumulation than a few inches should be swept off before bringing in the slides.
    Rob,

Do you notice any snow getting under the topper? The issue I have had lately is the snow melts and then freezes and forms a layer of ice on the roof of the slide out. A couple of weeks ago when we got ready to go home after a snow storm, I swept the top of the slides only to find 1/2 inch of ice over the top of the slide outs. I had to break the ice up with my boots to get it off so I could close the slides. I am not sure if heat is coming through the ceiling and melting the snow or if it is the sun melting it, but next time out in the snow I will sweep it off as soon as it quits snowing if possible. Also, I frequent areas where the snow rarely falls straight down, usually it comes in sideways, LOL.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might be splitting hairs here. The toppers would definitely keep the snow from freezing on top of the slide. The con to this will be a little getting underneath the topper. Also unless you put something between the topper and the roof of the slide the topper will sag under the snow weight. I have seen some use inflatable rafts or tubes between the slide roof and the topper to keep rain from puddling there. I have the toppers on our RV but have not stayed in the snow , under rainy conditions and windy rain it will get under the topper.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem we had was when the toppers froze and would not retract.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    Rob,

Do you notice any snow getting under the topper? The issue I have had lately is the snow melts and then freezes and forms a layer of ice on the roof of the slide out. A couple of weeks ago when we got ready to go home after a snow storm, I swept the top of the slides only to find 1/2 inch of ice over the top of the slide outs. I had to break the ice up with my boots to get it off so I could close the slides. I am not sure if heat is coming through the ceiling and melting the snow or if it is the sun melting it, but next time out in the snow I will sweep it off as soon as it quits snowing if possible. Also, I frequent areas where the snow rarely falls straight down, usually it comes in sideways, LOL.
    Nuffsaid - Ice on top of the slide (without a topper) is going to be big problem . . . and quite likely because the warmth of the slide roof will melt the snow. Ice between a topper and a slide roof would be a bigger problem . . . how are you going to get at it?

I agree that snow doesn't always come straight down, but we have never had snow/ice get in under the topper. If you anticipate this, I would try to plug the upwind end during the snow storm. Maybe an inexpensive pillow that could be thrown in the campground dryer after the storm.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Nuffsaid - Ice on top of the slide (without a topper) is going to be big problem . . . and quite likely because the warmth of the slide roof will melt the snow. Ice between a topper and a slide roof would be a bigger problem . . . how are you going to get at it?

I agree that snow doesn't always come straight down, but we have never had snow/ice get in under the topper. If you anticipate this, I would try to plug the upwind end during the snow storm. Maybe an inexpensive pillow that could be thrown in the campground dryer after the storm.

Rob
    I think toppers have their place, but probably not for me since I am a little nuts in where I am willing to set up camp. LOL. Getting ice off the tops of the slide outs is a real pain, so I need to be diligent and sweep off the snow before it can melt and turn to ice. Maybe easier said than done though. If the snow on the main roof starts to melt, It will probably drip onto the slide out roofs and turn to ice.