Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have another observation to add to this thread. After looking at the bedroom windows and checking for air leaks, I found that the main source of cold intrusion is the aluminum frame! I am still considering 3m insulating window film though.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    I have another observation to add to this thread. After looking at the bedroom windows and checking for air leaks, I found that the main source of cold intrusion is the aluminum frame! I am still considering 3m insulating window film though.
    This makes sense . . . and would be the same for all the windows. Quality metal framed residential windows have a plastic "thermal break" to prevent this conduction of heat from the inside to the outside. (or vice versa in the summer). I would expect that dual pane RV windows don't have a thermal break in the frame construction either . . . but, I don't know this for sure.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense that the frames are conducting heat and cold. Perhaps covering the frames with the same window bubble insulation would make a difference? Cheap and easy to try on a window and compare. Some painters tape could hold it on for the time needed to determine efficacy.

As to good quality window films, I can attest to their efficiency in hot weather, but we don't do real cold so I can't vouch for that. It would make sense that you would get some benefit but how much would be the question.
    Last edited by JColeman; 12-26-2018 at 09:13 AM.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
    Maybe this is a solution to the single pane glass: http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/1...gle%20Page.pdf
    I have also done a mobile home with heat shrink window coverings and it does help. The film you identified looks interesting.

For the mobile home, I purchased adhesive backed rolls of magnetic tape and put them around the window. You can get them in different widths. I also got rolls of the magnetic tape without the adhesive. You then sandwich the window film between the magnets. This method can provide an air tight seal and also allows you to adjust the film easily over time, and also allows you to take it down easily. Because of the window variable in the RV this could be difficult in some areas.

Have also used Poly-carbonate twin-wall. Its used for greenhouses and storm windows in Florida. ~1/4" is ~1.5R value (could be put over windows on outside, super strong. Maybe cover entire window frame so frame does not transfer so much cold): http://greenhousegab.com/consider-the-r-value/ Use aluminum tape on the ends to seal them.
    Pat&Marlene Gyrogearloose - 2010 Itasca Meridian 34y - 6.7 w/Allison 6spd - Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - previous Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to drag up an old post, but there's some really good info here. Did anyone find out if carpet pads on the slide floors made much of a difference?
    Ross & Ruby
    2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Laramie SRW 6.7 Diesel Factory Airbags
    2020 311BHS 1.3 kW of solar, Victron brains, Safari batts

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is hard to think about keeping cold out when it is close to 100 degrees out right now, LOL. I thought about carpet padding also, but the bigger issue I think is right at the slide out seam just below the carpet flap. I have also noticed that my window frames get very hot in the summer, the window film helped some, but not worth the money in my opinion plus the film made it darker inside. The film did cut down on condensation in the winter.
    2023 GMC 3500HD CCLB DRW Duramax L5P, Banks Derringer/Idash/CAI 60 gallon fuel transfer tank
    2018 Solitude 310GK with Kodiak disc brakes 4000 lb Dexter springs, frame stiffeners
    RETIRED Maint Supervisor, Certified Welder, ASE Master Tech, Owner tire shop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12