Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disc brake actuator behavior

Installed the disc brake kit. When bleeding the brakes the actuator pump seems to work fine with the hand control of the OEM brake controller. With the brake pedal the actuator pump works great the first time the brakes are applied. After the first application of the break pedal very little pressure us applied to the brakes. First applicant of the pedal locks up the brakes. Hit the pedal a second time and I can spin the trailer tire but there is drag from brake pads. The OEM hand control locks the brakes every time. Have not driven the truck and trailer to test. This is testing with the trailer on jacks. I am concerned about taking it on the road from a safety perspective. I read that the OEM brake system has a built in feature that proportionally applies the brake. I wonder if the OEM system is causing the behavior of little braking/resistance when applying the brakes? Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When using the hand controller in your truck and by moving the control all the way, you are applying full electrical power to the actuator motor. If you controller is set at low settings (1 to5) then you are only applying half or less power to the actuator when applying the brakes.

Your OEM controller may have the option to set the controller to the type of brake system you are using. In your case it would be “Electric Over Hydraulic”. Check you owners manual on how to set this up. After you have done that you will need to road test to adjust the controller for the weight of your trailer.
    2018 Momentum 376TH
    2016 RAM 3500 Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. The system is set up for electric over hydraulic with the system set to high for trailer brake effort. Gain is set to 10. So everything on the truck appears to be set up correctly. 2017 Ford F350 with integrated controller.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
    Thanks. The system is set up for electric over hydraulic with the system set to high for trailer brake effort. Gain is set to 10. So everything on the truck appears to be set up correctly. 2017 Ford F350 with integrated controller.

What is the speed of the truck when you are trying this? I remember reading Ford TBCs dont activate the trailer brakes below a certain speed; I dont remember the setpoint though.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe I remember reading that no voltage is supplied when stopped. This is to prevent continuous running as when sitting stopped with your foot on the brake. I still have factory brakes so I'm recalling this from when I was researching install procedure.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    What is the speed of the truck when you are trying this? I remember reading Ford TBCs dont activate the trailer brakes below a certain speed; I dont remember the setpoint though.

The trailer is on jack stands and blocks. So we are not driving down the road. This is happening when bleeding the brakes. Really hesitant to test drive if the brakes won't apply when going down the highway.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post

x2 on advice from FT4NOW. Since the trailer is still on jack stands, truck speed is zero for your testing. The truck does not apply the trailer brakes below a minimum speed. If it did, your trailer actuator would be running almost continuously in stop-and-go traffic. From what you describe, everything is correct. Just tow cautiously for the first little while to confirm.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay that makes sense. No speed no actuator pump running. Thanks for the great replies. I just don't want to put anyone in the danger with my DIY install.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay that makes sense. No speed no actuator pump running. Thanks for the great replies. I just don't want to put anyone in the danger with my DIY install.

You have confirmed that you can apply your trailer brakes with the manual control in the truck. This is your fail-safe. You are good to go .

Just a further thought . . . after my installation, braking was way better than the original electric brakes . . . but, I noticed that the dacromet disc coating was wearing off faster on one side of the trailer than on the other. The side with faster wear was the "first" side fed by the hydraulic system. So . . . one more round of bleeding the brakes and the trailer braking got even better and the dacromet quickly wore off the "second" side.

There are inevitably small air bubbles still in the system even when it will seem to apply the brakes.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had same 2017 F350 truck with the same controller and trailer disk brakes. My 2019 is also the same. As others stated, you need to get over 10-15 mph before actuator fully engages trailer brakes proportional to amount of pedal pressure you apply. That's Normal.

Set the controller to medium effect and gain to 6 to start. Then take it out for a test drive. Test the brakes with the brake pedal at about 40 MPH with a normal stop and see if you need more an or less. Gauge this by the amount of brake pedal force you need.

Then change system to High effort and see if it feels better. From what I understood, the Low-Med-High setting is how fast the the initial brake effect comes in when you apply brakes.

I cannot lock up even my disk brakes with the manual controller on dry pavement. But pedal effort is the same with or without the trailer attached. In panic stops the trailer will lock up.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 12-25-2018 at 11:09 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast