User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12 Volt Power Meters

Hello,
    I will be installing two Bayite power meters (Amazon # B013PKYILS). One will monitor the output of the converter. And the other will monitor the power consumed by all loads in the RV. Each meter is a BAYITE-PZEM-101 and each has a 100 amp/75 mV shunt.
    My question is about the shunt wiring. The shunts will be installed in the front compartment where both my converter and batteries are located. The meters will be installed inside the RV near the load center. There will be about 25 feet between the shunts and the meters. I plan on using 18/2 speaker wire to connect the shunts to the meters. Is the wire I plan on using appropriate for this distance?
    With this post is a schematic of the shunt wiring. Does anyone with more smarts than I see any issues with my plan?
    Also, with this post is the complete schematic of my 12-volt wiring.
    Thanks in advance for your input.

Here is a link to my Good Drive Folder with info, PDF's, photos, etc. about there meters and installing them.
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KGD_xFPDWBcqqaHcRSaBk_3x1D8gqMYv
    Last edited by 2825Matheny; 12-31-2018 at 09:51 PM.
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2825Matheny View Post
    Hello,
    I will be installing two Bayite power meters (Amazon # B013PKYILS). One will monitor the output of the converter. And the other will monitor the power consumed by all loads in the RV. Each meter is a [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Arial]BAYITE-PZEM-101 and each has a 100 amp/75 mV shunt.
    My question is about the shunt wiring. The shunts will be installed in the front compartment where both my converter and batteries are located. The meters will be installed inside the RV near the load center. There will be about 25 feet between the shunts and the meters. I plan on using 18/2 speaker wire to connect the shunts to the meters. Is the wire I plan on using appropriate for this distance?
    Thanks in advance for your input.
    Nice Drawing!

I think the wire gauge should be fine. The meters function similar to the battery monitors like Victron or Bogart that use current shunts.
    The Victron BMV702 comes with about 30' of 24 gauge wire for its shunt.

The shunt look like they'll depend on the wires to support and hold them in place.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What happens if that speaker wire gets a hole rubbed in the insulation? It isn’t fused properly to avoid a fire.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jamie,

I installed one of these a couple of years ago. I put mine in the front compartment, fastened to my inverter with two sided tape. I seldom refer to it unless I am diagnosing something electric. It seems to be accurate but the tiny button to reset or page through is kind of difficult to use. I fused the power feed as John suggests . . . I think it is a 1A fuse. The wire that came with this gauge is heavier than the signal cable on the Victron BMV702 . . . but is still just signal transmission without significant current. I have the Victron on my boat and this monitor seems to be just as accurate for a fraction of the price.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FullSizeRender-1.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    What happens if that speaker wire gets a hole rubbed in the insulation? It isn’t fused properly to avoid a fire.
    For the 18 Awg from the shunt's measuring points, I don't think enough voltage or current can be generated to do much but make the meter not read correctly.
    With 100A flowing thru the shunt it creates .075 volts, less amps thru the shunt then lower voltage(drop) generated.

Bogart's Installer Instructions have some good info and a overall drawing on their connections.
    Their use of an extra wire on the measuring wires reminds me of RTD wiring in instrumentation to eliminate voltage drop of the wires affecting the measured voltage at the meter.
    They show to fuse the +12 that powers their meter, not the measuring wires.
    http://www.bogartengineering.com/wp-...2=false&r=wide
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries. FYI this is for a shunt. Voltage is in the mV range and current is very very low too. And, this shunt is installed on the Negative side of the circuit. It is very common practice to install shunts without circuit protection.
    And speaker wire is rated at 30 volts. I'll be well below that at 12 volts. So the dielectric properties of the insulation are OK. And, as typical with any wiring installation and best practices, all wires are protected from abrasion when installed.
    Thanks for looking out for me, but all is well.
    Last edited by 2825Matheny; 12-27-2018 at 08:12 AM.
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sure hope there's someone else out there that didn't know the purpose of a shunt. I'm guessing the probability is high. This video explains it well:

BTW--thanks for the schematics, Matheny (Jamey and/or Peggy?). Helped me to understand this new-to-me topic.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I sure hope there's someone else out there that didn't know the purpose of a shunt. I'm guessing the probability is high. This video explains it well:

BTW--thanks for the schematics, Matheny (Jamey and/or Peggy?). Helped me to understand this new-to-me topic.

Videos good, wish I'd learned electronics with more visuals.
    And to EEs, why do we have to have "Conventional Current Flow Theory"?
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    why do we have to have "Conventional Current Flow Theory"?
    This goes back to the "best guess" by that guy named Ben Franklin .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If my electronics teacher looked like that I may have payed a little more attention.Probably would have not learned more but would have payed more attention.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast