User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    The cobbler has my grandkids thinking I’m the greatest. I use pie filling rather than just canned fruit. A batch of that and homemade ice cream makes Pappaw a hero!

Kathy and I fix a half batch in our 2qt Dutch oven. May be better desserts you can fix, but it’s hard to beat with a cup of coffee sitting by the campfire. Works with cherry or apple as well. I’ve been wanting to try chocolate cake mix with cherry pie filling.
    John, I agree, it's soooo good! I have 4 DO's of varying sizes and several cast iron skillets. That's about all I cook with at home and while camping. Nothing beats a ribeye cooked in a little bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. That's how I cook all my steaks.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the cake mix cobbler, I throw in some cinnamon/sugar when I use apple pie filling. Both on the apples and on top with the butter.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    John, I agree, it's soooo good! I have 4 DO's of varying sizes and several cast iron skillets. That's about all I cook with at home and while camping. Nothing beats a ribeye cooked in a little bacon grease in a cast iron skillet. That's how I cook all my steaks.
    oh yea, steak in a cast iron skillet is great, I also agree about bacon grease. I bought the deep 12 inch skillet to do fried chicken in. I really think that fried chicken done in cast iron is great.
    2019 375 RES Linen
    KI6KER General
    Home Base Phoenix

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    For the cake mix cobbler, I throw in some cinnamon/sugar when I use apple pie filling. Both on the apples and on top with the butter.
    Brown sugar would be my choice. But usually the filling has so much sugar already I'm having a sugar high with just a small bowl. However with scouts, I can't remember a complaint about "too much sugar." Definitely agree on cinnamon with apple. Apple cobbler is one of my favorites.

Another variation while I'm thinking about it. On any cobbler substitute muffin mix (blueberry works) for the cake mix. Makes it fluffy.
    Bill and Kim
    2019 Imagine 2670 MK, Equalizer WDH
    2020 Ford F250, 7.3 l gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was reminded today of another recipe that works great camping.

Easily multiplied.

2lbs country style pork ribs or chops.
    1lb sauerkraut
    Pepper

Heat the oven for frying with a little oil in the bottom. Sprinkle the pork with pepper and sear it on all sides. Remove from heat and add the kraut mixing it with the meat I prefer it cooked over a low heat (just a simmer) for 8 hours or so, but you can add a little water and cook faster if you like.

Some people add some diced apple for a sweeter taste. Onion, sautéed before the pork is seared changes it up a bit as well.

This pairs well with a dark beer, a campfire and a comfortable chair.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12