User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really Easy Breakfast Casserole

Never been one for donuts, muffins, pancakes or other sweet things for breakfast. At holiday time, no one wants to be chained to the stove, making sure everyone gets their eggs etc. while it’s hot. This solves all that.

Start with a sprayed 9 x 11 cake pan, and some stale bread. (I like unsliced Italian). Cube the bread (1” to 1 1/2”). Spread in single layer in bottom of pan.

Choose your diced additions (as you would pizza toppings): ham, bacon, sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, seasonings, spices, and sprinkle over the top of the bread. The beauty of it is you can keep unpopular items to one end, and they won’t migrate to the rest of the dish!

(Herbs are great: sweet marjoram, thyme, rosemary, oregano, or basil.)

Choose your shredded cheese: Swiss, cheddar, American, etc. Sprinkle over the dish. At this point, you can tap the pan gently to make it all settle.

Beat 6-8 eggs with 1 1/2 cups of milk. Pour egg mix evenly over the contents of the baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

Next morning, bake at 350* for 35-45 minutes (or until done in center).

Depending upon how many guests you have, this should keep everyone happy straight through til dinner!
    Cheers, Nancy
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds good! I'm going to try it right away.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    This sounds good! I'm going to try it right away.
    Why wait until Christmas, right . Every day should be Christmas.

John Joscelyne
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joscelyne3 View Post
    Why wait until Christmas, right . Every day should be Christmas.

John Joscelyne
    Well ya know John, I'm just livin' the dream. Every day a holiday, every meal a feast!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    Well ya know John, I'm just livin' the dream. Every day a holiday, every meal a feast!
    Right on Chief!!!! I agree! !!
    John & Carol Joscelyne and Hexy
    Red 2014 Ford F-350 Platinum, SRW, CC, Short bed with roll-N-lock cover.
    With replacement 50 gallon TransferFlow fuel tank, Magnaflow air intake, Edge CT turner.
    Pullrite superglide fifth wheel hitch.
    2015 Grand Design 305RE Solitude, with slide out toppers, <new>Titan disc brakes and Goodyear "G" rated tires.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Nancy. This would be another great addition to outdoor cooking in a dutch oven.

Jim

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Thanks Nancy. This would be another great addition to outdoor cooking in a dutch oven.

Jim
    Yes, Jim, I knew you’d add that! Just keep it very low heat, as those eggs do like to burn! Do you have a tri-pod? There’s one at our local CG that we frequent. 6’ tall over the fire ring with hand crank cable to suspend the Dutch oven (these folks are seasonal and obviously serious about their chuck wagon cooking).
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We do something similar, except we do not use bread in the mixture. We cook the egg mixture until firm, then take some kettle potato chips and crush them, add shredded cheese to the potato chips, and spread on top. Brown and serve.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Nancy,
    My wife has been making your recipe (or very similar) for the last 3 decades or so serving it every Christmas morning under the name of Christmas Breakfast Strata. I really like it with fresh ground pepper on it. We raised 5 kids, (4 boys one girl) and they could eat the whole dish quick. The kids are grown and gone for the last 15 years now but she still makes it every year but most of it gets tossed after a few days being just the two of us. The DW has a real problem going from cooking for seven down to two. She's down to cooking enough for four so she is improving

Merry Christmas,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    We do something similar, except we do not use bread in the mixture. We cook the egg mixture until firm, then take some kettle potato chips and crush them, add shredded cheese to the potato chips, and spread on top. Brown and serve.

DAN
    Never heard of potato chip topping for casseroles until I went to OK for grad school. Thought my roommate was nuts when she suggested it. Makes sense, though, as they are already crispy and salty. Besides, nobody wants to eat the crumbs at the bottom of the bag anyway.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast