User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regen every 200 to 250 miles

Lately I started noticing that my Duramax is running a regen cycle every 200 to 250 miles. I did some research and found that others have had this problem running diesel supplements. I've been putting Diesel Kleene in my tank to keep the diesel fuel from gelling in the mountains. After thinking about all the extra regen cycles I realized they did start about the time I started putting the fuel supplement in.

Has anyone else run into this? I think I'm going to lay off the fuel supplement and see if my normal regen cycles return. I'm back in the desert now where it doesn't freeze too much. I'm not even sure if the emissions components are covered under the 5 yr/100,000 mile engine and drivetrain warranty.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not had this problem. And I also do not add any supplements. Have not had any problems with fuel gelling, truck is inside at home and outside at work. Mine regens about 500-700 miles depending on usage. Hope I did not jinx myself.
    I believe the emissions are covered to 80 or 100,000 miles.

Brian

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t heard of supplements causing excessive regeneration cycles. It’s a shame they have complicated these trucks with all of the emissions stuff and that the ULSD fuel became a thing 12 or so years ago. I’ve had all of the emissions stuff fall off of my truck and it runs much better with around +3 mpg over previous fuel economy. I use a supplement to raise the cetane number and to enhance the lubricity that I feel the ULSD doesn’t provide. I’ll be curious to follow this and see if withholding the supplement makes a difference. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Diesel Kleen and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. On a side note, I thought during the winter months, fuel companies switch to the winter blend diesel to prevent the gel problems.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I thought during the winter months, fuel companies switch to the winter blend diesel to prevent the gel problems.
    This would be true. Can you imagine the kickback to any station selling fuel that gelled in their market! Taking summer fuel up into the mountains in the Fall . . . now, that can be a problem.

If you ask either your engine manufacturer or your fuel supplier whether you should add supplements . . . I'm pretty sure I know the answer.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    Lately I started noticing that my Duramax is running a regen cycle every 200 to 250 miles. I did some research and found that others have had this problem running diesel supplements. I've been putting Diesel Kleene in my tank to keep the diesel fuel from gelling in the mountains. After thinking about all the extra regen cycles I realized they did start about the time I started putting the fuel supplement in.

Has anyone else run into this? I think I'm going to lay off the fuel supplement and see if my normal regen cycles return. I'm back in the desert now where it doesn't freeze too much. I'm not even sure if the emissions components are covered under the 5 yr/100,000 mile engine and drivetrain warranty.
    Most likely you are burning winter grade fuel. I would follow the GM owners manual on supplements and always purchase top tier fuels.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a 2018 Duramax and it has consistently done regens around 200 miles. The first regen was at 130 miles! I drive 25 miles to and from work daily at speeds mostly steady and at 45 to 50 mph. I'm in South Florida, and have had this truck since August, so I don't think it's a winter fuel issue. I buy fuel mostly at two very busy stations so I doubt it's poor quality fuel. My last two Duramaxes would go 300 plus miles between regens under the same driving conditions. I am at the dealer RIGHT NOW getting my first oil change and having that issue looked at. I'll post back with a report.
    Last edited by Springerdad; 12-29-2018 at 07:58 AM.
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
    I've got a 2018 Duramax and it has consistently done regens around 200 miles. The first regen was at 130 miles! I drive 25 miles to and from work daily at speeds mostly steady and at 45 to 50 mph. I'm in South Florida, and have had this truck since August, so I don't think it's a winter fuel issue. I buy fuel mostly at two very busy stations so I doubt it's poor quality fuel. My last two Duramaxes would go 300 plus miles between regens under the same driving conditions. I am at the dealer RIGHT NOW getting my first oil change and having that issue looked at. I'll post back with a report.
    I'm not pointed at the winter fuel as an issue. Only that an additive should not be needed. I do not believe in using any additives unless GM, Ford or FCA approves it. I have seen issues in using fuels that are not in the top tier and costly issues in using additives that are not approved.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 12-29-2018 at 08:17 AM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim - in your post (#6) you said "you must be burning winter fuel" I took that to mean that might be a cause of frequent regens. Did I misinterpret that? Also, I don't use additives; I figure if they were needed we'd be told to use them.
    David and Vicki and 21 month old Springer Spaniel Sadie
    2019 Silverado LTZ 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed Duramax/Allison stock
    2023 Reflection 150 series 226RK
    B&W Companion 16K on rails EezTire TPMS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Springerdad View Post
    Jim - in your post (#6) you said "you must be burning winter fuel" I took that to mean that might be a cause of frequent regens. Did I misinterpret that? Also, I don't use additives; I figure if they were needed we'd be told to use them.
    I should have been more clear. No issue. My intentions was to state that winter fuel would prevent gelling where an additional additive should not be needed. This reminds me of a hot trip in Tampa years ago where we had to stop at a place called El Cheapo. Probably not on the list. Lol
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast