User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

RV Refrigerator Circulation Fan (for interior)

Our Reflection 297RSTS is equipped with a small Norcold refrigerator. When using this type of refrigerator, I've always placed a battery operated fan inside to aid in circulation. However, I've been having miserable luck with a small Valtera brand RV refrigerator fan. I've ordered three of them in the last two years and the either don't work or die prematurely. I looked at the reviews on Amazon and this model has 28% negative feedback which is horrible. Here's a link to what I've been using:

Refrigerator Fan

Does anyone have suggestions on other fans that will work better?

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 12-30-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jim,

You might want to have a look at this post. I think it might be what you are looking for. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-2019-315RLTS)

I think you can just buy the interior circulating fans.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Hi Jim,

You might want to have a look at this post. I think it might be what you are looking for. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...-2019-315RLTS)

I think you can just buy the interior circulating fans.

Rob
    Rob - That's a very good thread. But I'm looking for information about a circulating fan for inside the refrigerator to keep the cold air circulating in order to avoid warm and cold spots. I edited the thread title to make it more clear.

Jim

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonJim View Post
    Rob - That's a very good thread. But I'm looking for information about a circulating fan for inside the refrigerator to keep the cold air circulating in order to avoid warm and cold spots. I edited the thread title to make it more clear.

Jim
    Jim,
    The small fans (ARP calls them "Defrost Fans") are meant for the interior of the refrigerator. This page has a lot of information: https://www.arprv.com/rv-fix-fridge-circulation-fan.php

You could easily wire them into the 12V circuit on the back of your refrigerator. The hard part is deciding to have them run all the time or with a switch somewhere. Mine will work in concert with the ARP Controller. When the fan sensor (attached to the coils on the back of the frig) registers above a set temperature, the interior fans will come on as well as the four fans I have mounted on the exterior panels (two large ones at the bottom and the two small ones at the top).

I'll update the other thread when I install the interior fans.

Full disclosure here--I've been in email conversation with Paul the owner and inventor of the ARP Fridge Defend. After figuring out I could mount these "Defrost Fans" in the upper ventilation panel on my 315RLTS he offered to send me two more Defrost Fans for my refrigerator free of charge. Paul knows I am a moderator on this forum. None of that will keep me from posting honest, real-world reviews of the product as Fran and I use the product.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

I can't attest to it's longevity but it seems to circulate air well and doesn't involve any wiring. Might be worth one more battery powered fan try.

Amazon link
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had really good luck with fans similar to this one. In fact, I have forgotten where/when I purchased them. I got one like it for my old 5er that lasted over 5 years, when I bought my new Momentum 376 I ordered one like it, can't remember where, but it was of this type. I had to run the power lines through the drain tube, but it has been working since I installed it.

Another amazon frig fan link
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smart Products fans are nice. not cheap, but also made well. mount up out of the way and have led lights on each fan if you order that way. love ours. fridge seems to run better. I was at a 5 then moved to 4 during the summer.....now in winter am at 3.
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Jim,

I can't attest to it's longevity but it seems to circulate air well and doesn't involve any wiring. Might be worth one more battery powered fan try.

Amazon link

We recently put one of those in our outside beverage fridge (4.5cf with glass shelves) , so far we are not overly impressed with it's air moving capabilities.
    The square valterra fan is inside, top shelf sitting upside down and does well there blowing air to lower shelves.

We may try to somehow connect (wire in) a little 5 inch O2Cool fan in the outside fridge. When we had that in there as a test it made a huge difference moving air and keeping things evenly cool.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wired one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 under a low wire shelf blowing up. Wired into the 12V in the light, so it is on whenever the fridge is on. Works well I think. I just zip tied it to the shelf. I have to slightly move it once in a while when it starts rattling, but most of the time you can not hear it outside the fridge. be careful putting things below it that have a loose plastic bag around them, it tends to suck the plastic up into the fan making a terribLe racket. would like to put a "dusk to dawn" photocell on it so that the fan shuts off and does not blow out all the cold air when the door is open, but have not done that. I also added two of these fans to the top outside vent to hopefully draw hot air out of the back of the fridge. All three of these fans really helped with the cooling. BTW, this is an Atwood refrigerator.
    George and Connie
    Commerce City, CO
    Webpilot
    Solitude 380FL
    2014 Ram 3500 Dually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I decided to go to battle with that cheap little Valterra fan and troubleshoot it. I finally found that the little switch on the side was defective. I cut out the switch and soldered the wires together and it's working fine now. I just need to remove the batteries when I'm not using it. I appreciate all the suggestions folks.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast