Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I'm not a TFL fan boy...
    On that point we are in full agreement.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pilotpip View Post
    I'm really not brand loyal either, I just had a really, really bad ownership experience with a 2005 ram 1500. I'm sure there are plenty that have had great experiences. What's more important to me is where it's made. I still do my very best to buy American when possible, even if it costs a bit more.
    I had a 2005 3500 dually/Cummins. I liked it, but the frame cracked where the steering gear box mounts. It started clicking when I turned it and I finally took it in to the dealer. Diagnosed the cracked frame, called in the corporate sharpies and said they repaired it. It never clicked again. I don't know where the 1/2 ton Rams are manufactured but I thought some or most of them were made at the Warren, MI plant? I know my 3500 was made in Saltillo, MEX which I wasn't crazy about but I wanted the Cummins.

Motor Trend had some good things to say about the newer Ram 1500s as well. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/...year-finalist/

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really not brand loyal either, I just had a really, really bad ownership experience with a 2005 ram 1500. I'm sure there are plenty that have had great experiences. What's more important to me is where it's made. I still do my very best to buy American when possible, even if it costs a bit more.

These guys have a video where they're towing a heavy gooseneck with brand new 1 ton duallies and comparing fuel mileage. First, none of the trucks are broken in, second, the weather conditions are changing for the worse throughout the test so the conditions were not the same for each tow.
    And that Ram would have needed a plug change at 30K miles.
    It looks like they went back to Platinum plugs for the 2014 models. Prior to this....16 plugs at a dealer cost of $400.00 with installation. The deeper question is why do they need 16 spark plugs?
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/5-7...change.103898/
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I like the air suspension and wish everyone would do this but the 16 spark plug swap at every 30k does not sit well with me on the Ram. I do tike their styling. Actually I like all the big three in this area. But the non towing fuel economy will go to the GMC with DFM. I'll take the 6.2 GM any day. Simple, Strong and efficient. Gas engines have only one option and that is to change cam timing to tune to maximum pumping ( max vacuum) and that's all they can do. Its not the same as a diesel with jake brake style engine braking.
    Diesel pickups with engine braking use an entirely different system for engine braking than over the road rigs. Pickups use several methods to throttle the exhaust. "Jake brake" equipped trucks alter valve timing to achieve engine braking. As an aside, "Jake" (Jacobs company) is just one brand, so signs posted by municipalities prohibiting their use is illegal. The signs seem to be disappearing as the municipalities are being sued for their use.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
    Diesel pickups with engine braking use an entirely different system for engine braking than over the road rigs. Pickups use several methods to throttle the exhaust. "Jake brake" equipped trucks alter valve timing to achieve engine braking. As an aside, "Jake" (Jacobs company) is just one brand, so signs posted by municipalities prohibiting their use is illegal. The signs seem to be disappearing as the municipalities are being sued for their use.
    Yeah I should not have used "Jake Brake style" in a general term. Exhaust Braking may be a better choice for grade braking on medium duty applications. The end goal is basically the same......to eliminate or minimize the ability of the compressed cylinder gases to do work on the pistons. With the later being the exhaust brake which adds negative work to push out exhaust gases. I have grade braking on my gasser 1500 and it works extremely well with fuel cut, cam phasing (to increase pumping), trans shift mitigation and braking. Its really cool to hear it work with the rev matching downshifts. It however cannot compete with the diesels since compression is much lower.
    Last edited by MidwestCamper; 01-02-2019 at 04:13 PM.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    And that Ram would have needed a plug change at 30K miles.
    It looks like they went back to Platinum plugs for the 2014 models. Prior to this....16 plugs at a dealer cost of $400.00 with installation. The deeper question is why do they need 16 spark plugs?
    https://www.ramforum.com/threads/5-7...change.103898/
    I did them myself with no problem. Cost a lot less than $400.

The hemispherical design is a bit dated. It makes a TON of power because it gives a lot of space for combustion above the piston. Because of this large area, the fuel and air mixture is a little cooler, and may not burn as efficiently with a single plug, hence the two plugs per cylinder. More spark means more complete combustion which equals greater power.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did them myself with no problem. Cost a lot less than $400.

The hemispherical design is a bit dated. It makes a TON of power because it gives a lot of space for combustion above the piston. Because of this large area, the fuel and air mixture is a little cooler, and may not burn as efficiently with a single plug, hence the two plugs per cylinder. More spark means more complete combustion which equals greater power.
    Todays hemi is not a true hemispherical combustion chamber. We tried, but it had to be modified to burn more efficiently. It failed emissions miserably and as a result required the twin plugs to cut down on HC. But who really cares about emissions...it does make good power.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I don't have any of these issues with my Tundra. Also plugs get changed at 100,000 miles.
    Largest brakes etc.
    Its also ranks 2nd as being the most american built truck, Ford was first.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee94 View Post
    Wow, I don't have any of these issues with my Tundra. Also plugs get changed at 100,000 miles.
    Largest brakes etc.
    Its also ranks 2nd as being the most american built truck, Ford was first.
    Tundras are good trucks. My son is a supervisor at a Toyota dealership and he raves about them. He worked on them for years. Had a few problems with wobbly beds a few years back but nothing serious. I think the Titans are excellent vehicles as well.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I remember correctly (that doesn't always happen) Toyota's first 1/2 ton PU's had a lot of Ford in them. They still may.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast