Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to the 5th, need advice on the best hitch for my needs

Hello all--

I have noticed there are some very experienced and knowledgeable folks in this forum, and I would like to access your smarts. I just purchased a Reflection 150 Series 230RL. I had it delivered to the park I am currently in for a work assignment. I plan on using the rig for my Nurse Practitioner work-related travels, and of course for recreation. I have never met anything I can't drive. After purchasing the rig, I set out for the vehicle. I am now the proud owner of a Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins I6 6/4 bed to pull my to-be-named luxury apartment on wheels. I almost made the horrendous mistake of purchasing a gas 2500, but caught myself in the nick of time with the help of this forum, and after having put 600 miles on the diesel without towing, I am absolutely in awe of the drivability, comfort, power, fuel mileage and general bad assedness of a vehicle that I am sure was designed specifically for me. So, next up is the hitch. And I have no clue what will really work for my needs. I see the Anderson hitch is popular and the Reese Titan, two very different systems. So, here are my requirements and I imagine I will get some real guidance. I, of course, do plenty of research on my own, and will take everything into consideration, but my main requirement are:

1. I need to remove it when not in use. Since obtaining my first 4 wheel drive in years, and being an avid photographer, I want to do some back country camping (without the 5th wheel) and I have a sleep system I just ordered that will fit in the back of the truck (unless of course there is a huge 5th wheel hitch sitting there)
    2. I am a safety geek. I like things to be as safe as possible, without of course giving up some of the spontaneous aspects of life.
    3. Hooking up for me should not be a problem. I think I can guide it easily, but the easier the better.
    4. Since it is the 150, I have the ability to use the pivoting pin of course, but will I need to, and are there any hitch restrictions with that system?
    5. Unfortunately, I am not in my 20s so I need to respect my ability to drag a hitch out of the back of a truck and store it while not in use, not to mention I am short, compared to the tall ****** bed of that bad assed truck I just bought. I don't want to break anything.

Any help you can offer will be much appreciated. I was a van dweller before my new 5th wheel and have a total of about 10 years of RV experience in 4 different rigs. I am not full time, but I use my rig often for work. Thanks in advance for your help. I absolutely fell in love with Grand Design the second I saw how they have addressed many of the issues I have spent the last 10 years complaining about. I initially thought I would buy a Reflection travel trailer, but I couldn't get past the length and the 230RL seemed perfect for ease of travel, parking and access.

So far, I am only a couple of weeks into the experience, but it seems solid. I have never seen so many electric outlets in my life, and the firm platform bed/mattress that I thought I would have to replace has given me several amazing nights of sleep--who knew? The hot water is amazing and the kitchen sink is bigger than the one I have in my stick built home (and it is a pretty nice home). I have 2 new generators on the way for boondocking and backcountry excursions (would have loved to have gone with one, but again, weight was a concern). I also have a goal zero generator and a 100 watt solar panel on the way that I can use for the RV batteries or for the goal zero generator. I am trying to set up the GD in such a way so as to support the back country adventures with the truck. Two separate systems with gear that translates is my goal.

I am so excited about my new set up, so finding the right hitch will complete the package and give me the confidence to move my awesome home down the road safely. I can't wait to see the diesel in action in Colorado. Those mopeds will no longer be able to pass me in the Rockies.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In regards to the hitch, I would suggest getting one that's rated for the maximum tow rating of your truck and not so much one that's rated for the 150 series. That way when you want to move up (you don't realize it right now, but that day will come sooner than you can now imagine), your hitch will be satisfactory.

I will say that you sure made the right decision in going with a diesel.....especially if you're going to Colorado. I've been over (and down) all of the big passes in Colorado with our Momentum 376TH. Here's a pic of us up on top of Vail Pass, 10,662'....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5962 CP.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	17021 and Hoosier Pass, 11,542' Click image for larger version. 

Name:	21731336_420146608382574_4993908894620698125_n.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	17022
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're curious which hitches are popular with our forum members, check this poll out:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...331#post154331
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With your truck and trailer you can use a variety of hitches.

A question I have is, does your truck have the factory 5th wheel prep?

If not, there are are still several options for a totally clean bed.

Pullrite makes the Super Rails to use with their Super 5th hitch. Used with the Pivot Point hitch on the Reflection, you wouldn't have to worry about hitting the truck on the trailer nose. Also allows the entire hitch to come out of the bed, leaving nothing in there.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the 150 series has the revolving king pin. If so, then your decision on hitch will have to factor in if you want to lock out the king pin so it is stationary, or use it as designed which pushes your turning point back and increases clearance to the cab.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1.000 - The number of "mine is best" opinions you will get.
    I'ver used an Andersen Ultimate Hitch (steel version) for about 23,000 miles.
    It's a great hitch and has served me well with my short bed F250. I really have not regrets.
    But, if I had it to do only again I would lean towards that Reese Goose Box pin box and do away with a hitch in the bed altogether.
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2825Matheny View Post
    1,000 - The number of "mine is best" opinions you will get.
    I don't even answer the "which hitch should I get" question any more unless somebody asks me directly.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the B&W Patriot 16K fifth wheel hitch mounted to a set of rails. It's American made and is of very high quality construction. What's nice about B&W hitches is that you can split the hitch into two pieces in about 2 seconds. Each half is manageable to lift where most all in one hitches are too heavy for one person to handle.

B&W also has the popular Companion fifth wheel hitch, and it is usually mounted on a 2 5/16" ball mounted in the bottom of the bed. The bottom half can also be purchased that fits into the puck system that's optional on new pickup trucks. It is quite a bit more expensive than my Patriot, however.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andersen Hitch on order with B&W Turnover ball. Should have it in in a week or so. Thanks to those who have provided input. I realize there are some who think this question is overblown, and I suppose it is to them, but I like hearing directly about the success stories people have with their products. The research I did is more complete with everyone's input, on this thread and others.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better double check on compatibility. The Turning Point is a direct knockoff of the Reese version.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-268927.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast