User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bathroom fan blows up all channels on TV

When watching TV on the antenna - booster on of course - and the bathroom fan is turned on, it wipes out all channels on the TV. A digital hash of large "pixels" and blurps of noise are found on every channel. When the fan is turned off all returns to normal.

Anyone have any idea what to look for?

Thanks.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    When watching TV on the antenna - booster on of course - and the bathroom fan is turned on, it wipes out all channels on the TV. A digital hash of large "pixels" and blurps of noise are found on every channel. When the fan is turned off all returns to normal.

Anyone have any idea what to look for?

Thanks.
    Is the booster and fan on the same circuit? In other words, when you turn off the circuit breaker for the bathroom fan does the booster go off, too?

I'm guessing that if the answer is "yes" the fan is generating an AC feedback signal that's bleeding over (into) the booster the 12V circuit.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would also start tracing the antenna wiring - all of it, including runs to the bedroom, basement, outside, etc. The coax wire itself should be fine, but check wherever there is a termination (wall jack, connector, behind the TV, etc.) You may find a loose fitting that is letting the RF noise from the fan get into the normally shielded coax. This would mean that in some places you will have to take the wall plates off, to make sure the connector on the inside of the plate is tight.

If you are in an area with strong reception without the booster box on, then you can do the test suggested by Howson also with the booster off - even better, bypass the booster antenna connections completely. If it is perfect with the booster off or bypassed, it is likely noise in the power circuit. If it is still bad, then it's getting into the cable.
    Last edited by sande005; 01-02-2019 at 05:58 PM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks @howson and @sande055. I'll look into these things. Between our last trailer and this one I've found enough *really* shoddy factory cable connections to suspect that's where the problem will be found, but was hoping that something simpler than tracing all of that network would be suggested.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Thanks @howson and @sande055. I'll look into these things. Between our last trailer and this one I've found enough *really* shoddy factory cable connections to suspect that's where the problem will be found, but was hoping that something simpler than tracing all of that network would be suggested.
    Please report back when you figure it out.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a motor home that sometimes turning on the ceiling lights in the living room would knock the Over The Air signal out. It would happen when we were in an area where the signals were not real strong to start with. Never know for sure what caused it, we just didn't turn on the ceiling lights while watching TV.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a similar problem in our Reflection. Our solution, however, was to take shorter showers and or just turn tv off and go to bed. Works for some....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kay & Dave - Virginia Beach, VA
    Golden Retriever Molly - Been swimming in 28 states
    2019 Solitude 310GK
    2019 GMC Denali CC/LB SRW
    Previous rig: 2014 Reflection 303RLS #314 and 2008 Silverado 2500 D/A

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Is the booster and fan on the same circuit? In other words, when you turn off the circuit breaker for the bathroom fan does the booster go off, too?

I'm guessing that if the answer is "yes" the fan is generating an AC feedback signal that's bleeding over (into) the booster the 12V circuit.
    It should be a fuse as the booster and the fan are both 12v DC.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fan variable speed? Wonder about the fan's speed electronics pulse width modulation causing some noise from on the 12V.

My Bathroom Fan is on same fuse as the antenna booster, don't now if I have the problem or not.

Could try the old standby: .001 microfarad disc capacitor across the +12V, -12V at the fan. https://www.amazon.com/Projects-B-00.../dp/B00E6PJ9ES
    Maybe a noise filter for 12V like https://www.amazon.com/PAC-CSS12-Pas.../dp/B000CEDZBA
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbkims View Post
    Fan variable speed? Wonder about the fan's speed electronics pulse width modulation causing some noise from on the 12V.

My Bathroom Fan is on same fuse as the antenna booster, don't now if I have the problem or not.

Could try the old standby: .001 microfarad disc capacitor across the +12V, -12V at the fan. https://www.amazon.com/Projects-B-00.../dp/B00E6PJ9ES
    Maybe a noise filter for 12V like https://www.amazon.com/PAC-CSS12-Pas.../dp/B000CEDZBA
    Thanks Gene. Bathroom fan is not variable-speed, simple switch.

Haven't returned to exploring this yet since I've decreed that nobody goes to the washroom while we're watching TV. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast