User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battleborn batteries BMS temperature information

Since Quartzsite is probably going to be below freezing tonight (sigh), I contacted Battleborn batteries to find out whether I should disconnect my solar controllers to prevent charging first thing in the morning until the batteries have warmed back up. Here is the information they sent for their BMS configuration.
    -Al

Hello Al,
    Thanks for the email.

Here are the parameters for temperature and our batteries:

Temperature

High temperature: > 135F
    The BMS will not allow a charging or discharging current.

Low temperature: < 25F
    The BMS will not allow a charging current. Charging current will be allowed again at 32F
    The BMS will allow a discharge current down to -4F before shutting down

We do have an adhesive wrap heating blanket that will turn on at 34F and turn off at 45F. It comes with a temperature sensor and cost $220 per battery.

Hope this helps, thanks.
    Jesse
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by acadiaforever View Post
    Since Quartzsite is probably going to be below freezing tonight (sigh), I contacted Battleborn batteries to find out whether I should disconnect my solar controllers to prevent charging first thing in the morning until the batteries have warmed back up. Here is the information they sent for their BMS configuration.
    -Al

Hello Al,
    Thanks for the email.

Here are the parameters for temperature and our batteries:

Temperature

High temperature: > 135F
    The BMS will not allow a charging or discharging current.

Low temperature: < 25F
    The BMS will not allow a charging current. Charging current will be allowed again at 32F
    The BMS will allow a discharge current down to -4F before shutting down

We do have an adhesive wrap heating blanket that will turn on at 34F and turn off at 45F. It comes with a temperature sensor and cost $220 per battery.

Hope this helps, thanks.
    Jesse
    I’ve posted this info a couple places but yes, the BMS on each battery protects it from being charged below the specified temperature.

So there are no precautions you need to take (as far as the batteries are concerned) if you’re going to be camping in temperatures below freezing.

Keep in mind your batteries are inside your RV so if it’s 32 outside and you’re camping with the furnace on, your batteries will never reach anywhere near 32. Also keep in mind when they’re being discharged, being used, they give off a certain amount of heat as does your inverter, which heats up the compartment.

When we were on our way down to Quartzite, we stopped at a place in Nevada for two nights and it got down to 15° overnight, yet our front compartment (where the inverter, batteries and charge controllers are) never got below 40.

I have wireless thermometers in the front and middle compartments with a display in the living room so I can monitor those temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DaveMatthewsBand; 01-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Al,
    Here is a hot tip (pun intended). I picked up a case of 24 hour large (about 4" square) hand warmers from Costco. I placed one on each side and the top of each battery. Outside temp 10F. The batteries stayed warm all night and ran my heater without any problem.

HTH,
    Kevin
    PS: I think they come 24 to a case.
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Hi Al,
    Here is a hot tip (pun intended). I picked up a case of 24 hour large (about 4" square) hand warmers from Costco. I placed one on each side and the top of each battery. Outside temp 10F. The batteries stayed warm all night and ran my heater without any problem.

HTH,
    Kevin
    PS: I think they come 24 to a case.
    If you have the BattleBorns, they can be discharged (used) down to 4 degrees below zero.

10F is not a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.