User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2010 Toyota Sequoia with 3170bh?

We have a 2010 Toyota Sequoia with the heavy duty tow package. It is rated to pull 9,100 lbs. We are looking at the 3170BH which is right at 8,000 lbs dry weight. The hitch weight is about the same as out current travel trailer (2014 Keystone Hideout 27DBS). I'm curious if you think we will have any issues pulling it. Currently, we have no issues pulling the 27DBS. We have the heavy duty Blue Ox sway and load balancing system.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
    We have a 2010 Toyota Sequoia with the heavy duty tow package. It is rated to pull 9,100 lbs. We are looking at the 3170BH which is right at 8,000 lbs dry weight. The hitch weight is about the same as out current travel trailer (2014 Keystone Hideout 27DBS). I'm curious if you think we will have any issues pulling it. Currently, we have no issues pulling the 27DBS. We have the heavy duty Blue Ox sway and load balancing system.
    Yes, I believe you will have significant issues. That trailer is too big. This is a very important decision you are making and one that will cost you thousands of dollars if you get it wrong. You really need to dig in and learn what these terms like CGWR and tongue weight and payload mean.
    But let me make it very simple to start. Go look at the yellow sticker on the inside of your door jamb of the Sequoia. It will list the maximum payload your rig can carry. That number must include the weight of the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer. You said your trailer has a dry weight of 8000. Fully loaded with propane, no water, and say 600 lbs of gear. You will be at your 9100 lb limit almost immediately. To tow safely, you must distribute at least 10 preferably 12% of that weight on to the tongue of the trailer that must be carried by your truck and your hitch capacity. So...about 910 to 1000lbs on your hitch which I will bet only has a rating of 900 lbs. Now deduct that 1000 lbs from your payload capacity on that yellow tag and you have the remaining payload including passengers you have left. My guess is...not much.
    Seriously, look at trailers that weigh about 6500 lbs dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomLerch View Post
    Yes, I believe you will have significant issues. That trailer is too big. This is a very important decision you are making and one that will cost you thousands of dollars if you get it wrong. You really need to dig in and learn what these terms like CGWR and tongue weight and payload mean.
    But let me make it very simple to start. Go look at the yellow sticker on the inside of your door jamb of the Sequoia. It will list the maximum payload your rig can carry. That number must include the weight of the hitch and the tongue weight of the trailer. You said your trailer has a dry weight of 8000. Fully loaded with propane, no water, and say 600 lbs of gear. You will be at your 9100 lb limit almost immediately. To tow safely, you must distribute at least 10 preferably 12% of that weight on to the tongue of the trailer that must be carried by your truck and your hitch capacity. So...about 910 to 1000lbs on your hitch which I will bet only has a rating of 900 lbs. Now deduct that 1000 lbs from your payload capacity on that yellow tag and you have the remaining payload including passengers you have left. My guess is...not much.
    Seriously, look at trailers that weigh about 6500 lbs dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I would agree. My Imagine 2600RB with full water (worse case) and loaded has a 940 lb tongue weight.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanb View Post
    I don't think I would tow that long of a trailer with anything less than a 1 ton. The Toyota will pull it but I guarantee you won't have any fun doing it and as short a wheelbase it is that will be a handful. We have the 2800BH and pull it with a 2001 Ford F250 7.3 diesel with crew cab short bed. I couldn't imagine towing with anything less as it's close to weight capacity on the GVW of the pickup loaded up. We do have a 50 gallon water tank, generators, and tools in the bed of the pickup so that adds up quickly. We are going to get a new truck this fall and it will be a F350 crew cab long bed for more fuel capacity (it's a long ways between stations in Canada going to Alaska) and the longer wheelbase is easier to handle. The GVW of the 350 will give us more flexibility in what we can put in the bed of the pickup and not worry about being overweight.
    Be sure to really research the GVW and GCWR Of your tow rig along with the trailer you want. The main thing is to have a tow rig that will be in charge of that trailer, not the trailer in charge of your tow rig. Sounds weird but it's something to me that makes sense.
    2020 Ford F350 6.7
    2018 2800BH Imagine
    And a couple of Polaris RMK snowmobiles :cool: