Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is what GD customer service said today about the Andersen Hitch

Rig: 150 series 230RL, Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7

I have had some help from this forum and I feel I have earned an accelerated Master's Degree in hitches this past couple of days. I simply want that Andersen hitch for all the reasons everyone else chose the unit, and even if I went with the rail version, which would be way less expensive, in my mind it would still be better than the hunk of heavy metal which will be a pain for me, literally.

BUT BUT BUT. I called Grand Design today to confirm that using the hitch will not void the warranty, as I simply wanted to cross my Ts and dot the Is for my own peace of mind. My first encounter was a terrible rep who kept telling me over and over they do not recommend hitches, but I hadn't even gotten out the question, so I asked for his boss. Next up was a supervisor who stated the Andersen Hitch will not void the warranty, lots of customers use it, blah blah blah. But he didn't seem very knowledgeable about the issue and didn't give me a sense of confidence, so I asked for his boss and was given an email address. I did actually complain about the first guy, because he really was rude and he was the first person I have talked to at GD and I was disappointed. I relayed that info and asked the hitch question again.

The 3rd guy wrote me back, and I quote "The Andersen hitch does not void the warranty, however, we do not recommend the hitch for a couple of reasons. Primarily, a gooseneck hitch places undue stress at the kingpin of the pin box and can result in issues with the upper deck structure. This is true of any 5th wheel product regardless of the line or manufacturer. My prior employer was a frame manufacturer and I assure you, the Andersen hitch can do damage to your upper deck structure."

Further down the email he added, "The Andersen hitch is a gooseneck ball connection and there are no approved gooseneck hitches for the Lippert Turning Point pin box."

I guess I don't see the problem. I am not an engineer, but the problem of a traditional gooseneck connection makes sense to me in terms of stress--though the guy I called today for installation, who is an Andersen dealer told me to get the BW gooseneck, a coupler and move on down the road. I don't like that solution. But the Andersen hitch is elevated and that angle and stress has to be virtually eliminated. Further, why would GD not ditch the warranty coverage for those customers using the Andersen hitch if they felt so strongly about stress on the upper deck?

I like it when things are more clear. I called E-trailer today and got the same gooseneck BS story, when it is clear the Andersen product is different than a traditional gooseneck. I called Pullrite and discussed their product, the Superlite and their rep was concerned about the 6.5 bed size on my truck and he could not guarantee an appropriate turning radius. I called Andersen, and didn't learn anything new from the rep, unfortunately.

So my accelerated Master's Degree in hitches I felt I earned now feels like a total over analysis situation and not an education at all. What say you? I am a little bummed actually. I just want something that is easy for me to handle, and after all of the phone calls, I felt my options seriously dwindled. It's simply difficult to buy a product the manufacturer states may damage your rig.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have learned a very valuable lesson, not in hitches, but in liability prevention in the RV industry. I ran into similar non-information when doing an axle replacement. But after talking to many different folks and getting slightly educated I soon learned how to weed out the idiots that don't have a clue but want to sell you something and could tell pretty quickly when somebody know what they are talking about. I learned not to ask for a recommendation but to ask for an opinion.

There are a couple of engineers on the forum, perhaps if you posted a picture of the difference between the Anderson hitch and traditional goose neck you mentioned they could put some science on it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have a 230RL that I pull with a Ford F250, 6.7L Diesel with 6 3/4' bed. I originally bought a Curt A16 5th wheel hitch and used the turning point hitch with the Curt wedge. I have since purchased a Andersen Ultimate rail version hitch and so far I like it. The only difference I can tell with the Andersen is there is NO chucking, bucking, squeaking, the hitching procedure is 20 times easier, and the ride is much smoother. The main reason I went to the Andersen was the difference in weight that saves my back and helps my payload capacity. I don't believe much of what your 3rd representative said in his email. If GD didn't want us to utilize the Andersen, they would state that in their manuals and deny any warranty claims to those who choose to use them.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I have an appointment to have the B&W turn over ball installed and will then add the Andersen Ultimate to save my back and to have a flush truck bed for my backcountry camping needs.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with the Andersen is the offset coupler thats needed for the ball. I have a Morryde pin box and Morryde recommends a special gooseneck plate be attached to the underside of their box to keep the bottom plate from flexing. I'm guessing thats why Lippert says no. Must be that the plate where the pin is welded to is too thin.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as warranty goes they may not have to say using something will void your warranty. If they can prove damage was caused by something you were using and not because of their product or workmanship then they don't have to warranty it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Polkadotti View Post
    I agree. I have an appointment to have the B&W turn over ball installed and will then add the Andersen Ultimate to save my back and to have a flush truck bed for my backcountry camping needs.
    Exactly what & why I did this (B&W/Anderson) on my Chevy. 3 or 4 years and a few thousand miles without issue (way beyond Lippert's 1 yr. Warranty, right?). Only hitch I've used so can't compare to traditional. Got a new F350 with factory hitch and will be doing the same, except will turn the ball mount on the 5'er to better clear the taller Ford bedrails on sharp turns. Have yet to test.
    Gary & Erin + Kitty the '85# Border Collie/Lab
    2015 303RLS
    2018 F350 CCLB SRW 6.7PSD (1st Ford coming from '05 Duramax)
    http://www.kleenoilusa.com

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    As far as warranty goes they may not have to say using something will void your warranty. If they can prove damage was caused by something you were using and not because of their product or workmanship then they don't have to warranty it.
    That is the law under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They must prove it was the cause to deny a warranty claim. Technically they could be sued if they state otherwise and the government was cracking down on the auto & RV industry about such statements a year or so ago on this. Andersen also has an insurance policy that would cover the even that LCI denied a claim due to the hitch.

I've used the AUH in my 2500HD and also in the F350. It is a great hitch that fits a niche in the market. No issues and wouldn't hesitate to use it again (but also very happy with my Demco autoslider).
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    "I called Pullrite and discussed their product, the Superlite and their rep was concerned about the 6.5 bed size on my truck and he could not guarantee an appropriate turning radius."

Be very careful of this measurement. As you have the short bed with the Anderson you will not be able to use the turning point feature. I went through the same search and decide on the Reese Titan R20 unit. It can be easily taken apart to install and remove. I can also get the slider rails if I ever get a SB. Its tight with no chucking or noise and takes up less room than the Anderson. I did a write up on the Reese too.

Lastly look at the Anderson failures that have happened and the situation they occurred. I have yet to see a failure on the Reese or the B&W which is also an excellent unit.

Good luck
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    ... I have yet to see a failure on the Reese or the B&W which is also an excellent unit.

Good luck

All you gotta do is a google search and you'll see 'em.

All hitches, no matter the brand, owner loyalty or internet hype will have someone reporting a failure at some point or another.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast