User Tag List

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Cool Any members here that run or jog?

I don't mean from bears or wives, I'm talking about exercise!

I used to run when I was in the military then I got married and life happened.
    I recently got back into it about 2 months ago after not running for years, and I'm up to running about 10 miles a week right now.
    The goal is to be doing 15 miles a day by the time we come back South for the Winter.
    I used to run about 50 miles a week back in the day and loved it. It's great for stress relief.
    But I've never been in a marathon, which is an item on my bucket list that I'd like to check off.
    I see 85 years olds and people with 2 prosthetic legs running marathons and it makes me feel like a wimp for not at least trying.

Just to get the thread started, I'm looking for a good running watch with heart rate monitor and wondering if anyone here uses a Garmin.
    I've had Fitbits in the past but would really like something with better GPS and a large bright screen.

Also curious if there are any other Clydesdales here that can recommend a good running shoe for someone our size.
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ed,
    I used to be a Marathoner and marathon coach. It will change how you view life and yourself. I promise! The shoe I recommend for the larger runner with a wider foot is the Brooks Beast.

All the best,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinpo View Post
    Hi Ed,
    I used to be a Marathoner and marathon coach. It will change how you view life and yourself. I promise!
    The shoe I recommend for the larger runner with a wider foot is the Brooks Beast.

All the best,
    Kevin
    Thanks, I was looking at those!
    They're always in the top 3 for big guys.
    Do you have any experience using them?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3E - 4E foot, depending on who made the shoe. (My father was a platypus and, no, I don't have trolling motor mounts on my shoes.) When the Army was still making me run, I always used New Balance. There weren't many others that made shoes in those widths. I'm sure there are better offerings nowadays.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I have a 3E - 4E foot, depending on who made the shoe. (My father was a platypus and, no, I don't have trolling motor mounts on my shoes.) When the Army was still making me run, I always used New Balance. There weren't many others that made shoes in those widths. I'm sure there are better offerings nowadays.

Rob
    Platypus LOL

I actually wear regular width shoes. They're just a little longer than most people.
    Size 14 or 15 depending on brand.
    I have 2 pair of running shoes right now that I like. A pair of New Balance and a pair of Asics Gels.
    One is better for the beach and soft stuff and the other seems better for trail running. I rarely ever run on pavement.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any experience using them?
    Yes many thousands of miles. I would get about 1,000 miles a pair out of them (16 weeks) or a few months longer when I was alternating between pairs. New Balance was the other brand I alternated with. I can't remember the style. I only used them for training. 75% of my marathons were done in brooks (not all of them were the Beast model) For road racing the Beast model is a bit heavy although very supportive and durable. A good shoe for heel strikers and pronators of which I am both. I am no speed demon and consider myself a plodder

Cheers,
    Kevin
    PS: I'm currently walking 10-15 miles a day using the Samsung Health AP. I put all my food, drink, sleep etc. into it and compete with co-workers and other people from around the world.
    Last edited by kevinpo; 04-08-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in my military days I used to run give or take 20 miles a week, half of which were formation runs (as in "Double Time - Harch"). Asics were my go to shoes and they'd last about 3 months. During the formation runs, I used to run up to the front, grab the guidon, and circle the formation. That was tough on Fridays when the whole Element would run in formation (7 detachments to encircle, running from the back all the way to the front could be a bear!). BTW, we did this on the flightline, minimum 3 miles. Maybe that's why later in life I ended up with an L5 - S1 fusion.

Since my back surgery I've been afraid to run. I'd love to get back in to it as I did find it relaxing, in a sense.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]