User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV purchased, now trying to narrow down 5th wheel

Hello! - We have decided to move up to a 5th wheel and went straight to a F350 crew cab, long bed, diesel, 2019 as our tow vehicle. This arrives in 4 to 6 weeks.

Next week is our camper show here in Cleveland and we will be looking at the following models. Of course the Grand Design is my choice, now i need to convince my wife.

Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    Keystone Montana High Country 330RL
    Coachman Chaparral 336TSIK
    Forest River Cardinal Luxury 3350RLX
    Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS

All of the floor plans are similar, so now it is a aesthetics and manufacturer decision.

Looking for any feedback on these 5th wheels regarding quality, warranty, issues, etc.

Thanks - Don

Wadsworth, OH
    Currently have a Flagstaff HW27SC pop-up

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only one of these I looked at closely was the 3350RLX. I think it is more in line with the Solitude than the Reflection. It seemed to be very well put together and well appointed. If all had been equal - dealer , pricing , overall length - it would probably have been our choice. In the end it was mainly staying under 35' at the build quality we wanted that made the Solitude win out , and we have no regrets. Staying in the same RV family line and working with a salesperson/ dealer we knew were the final factors.
    Spend as much time just sitting and hanging out in your final choices as you can and hopefully you will have that ah-ha moment that says " this is the one."
    Good luck
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We looked t all the manufacturers you listed and then some. We had a Shasta Oasis, a GD Imagine and now a Solitude. Tips from our experience.

Avoid being distracted by the big bells and whistles. Like the TV, stereo and lighting. These are kabuki theater that salesmen use to get you to not look where you should be.
    If you want to know about quality (craftsmanship) look at small details. Crown molding being straight and fit together so you cant see the splices together. Look at the corners, ends and out of sight places around cabinets and drawers for fit/finish. Notice how doors and drawers line up. How easily or hard doors actually close and stay closed. The decals have no bubbles underneath them. Look for excess caulk around the shower edges/ sinks. These are hallmarks of craftsmanship. If it looks like trim is just slapped on, it is. If the manufacturer pays attention to these details, the other parts of the coach that are important will be squared away.
    As far as appliances, they are manufactured by the same company for just about all the RV brands and all have their own warranty aside from the RV brand/dealership.

For the most part (certainly not all), salesmen are in the mindset to make money and sell. They are like used car salesmen to an extent. They only know about 50% of what they should know about the coach they are selling. Go look and spend time in each coach. Walk around the coach and as much time in it as possible.
    As always, your mileage may vary.
    Extra Class Ham Operator WB0YD
    2018 Imagine 2670MK previous rig
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2018 Ram 3500 crew cab 4x4 Long bed dually Cummins automatic
    AISIN A69 trans 3.73 gears, B+W Companion slider

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IguanaDon View Post
    Looking for any feedback on these 5th wheels regarding quality, warranty, issues, etc.
    In a recent campground a Forest River Cardinal Luxury pulled in next to us. The slides on the utility side of the trailer (bedroom and kitchen) were both controlled by the same switch--the owner could NOT independently bring the slides in or out. This caused a major issue when the slide topper on the kitchen froze and flipped 180 degrees, jamming itself between the trailer and the lip of the slide. (He eventually pulled a clip out of the ends and the topper violently unsprung itself internally. We then unbolted the ends of the bracket on the slide and removed the screws holding the fabric to the trailer and slid it off the slide.)

The story is not to highlight the slide topper--it's to focus on having independent control of your slides. If any of your choices don't have a switch for each slide I suggest thinking long and hard before opting for that trailer if there's another viable alternative.

Edit: Doh! OP's thread is from January. (Sigh...)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Solitude large slides are also controlled by a single switch. There are , however , screw valves to shut boy fluid flow to them allowing them to be operated independently. I'm would think the Cardinal functions the same way.
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    The Solitude large slides are also controlled by a single switch. There are , however , screw valves to shut boy fluid flow to them allowing them to be operated independently. I'm would think the Cardinal functions the same way.
    I learned something new--thanks!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    I learned something new--thanks!
    Unless you have the S-Class Solitude. The slides are electric with individual switches for each slide. Love our 3350RL!!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Unless you have the S-Class Solitude. The slides are electric with individual switches for each slide. Love our 3350RL!!
    I suspect the difference is if the slides are electric or hydraulic. The Cardinal I posted about had hydraulic slides.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new Momentum 394M has one switch for operating both slides, however, as stated in an earlier post. there are knobs in the curb side propane bay that allow you to close off the hydraulic flow, via a valve body, to either or each slide individually. Before I learned about this, I was already planning a way to close the individual lines off....either with a manually operated valve or a solenoid operated valve. Thankfully, I didn't have to pull out my hydraulics handbook and go to work.....I'm am electrician, not a pipefitter!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"