User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running CAT ^e from fireplace to Bedroom on 337RLS

I am going to run a cat 6 cable from the entertainment center over the fireplace to the bedroom to provide and HDMI over Ethernet connection. This will allow me to get rid of one extra receiver and use just the one. The HDMI Extender also carries the IR control for remote operation.

Any suggestions of how to route the cable?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe outside via behind the fireplace floor through the wire loom to back inside the basement then up through the plumbing sealed access under the dresser....pull out the bottom draws and you will see the washer drain and water feed lines.
    A little work and resealing but might be the easiest way. Also put a exterior satellite connection port on the outside of the slide for a shorter connection to the "Wally"
    Good luck!
    Tom
    Tom and Sandi
    2017 337RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are a little expensive but you can take them with you when you sell the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...+hdmi+extender
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    geesh.... this might not be easy....

going the low route means going down the wall, through the floor, routing the cable to the underbelly so it flexes in and out with the slide, up to the front, then through the floor again and up a wall to the TV.

maybe think of going across the roof.... through the top of the entertainment cabinet and through the roof, across the roof, back down again where the TV is. Sealing the in and out points is no big deal; there are plates made for this and then you just need some self leveling sealant which you can also use to hold the cable against the roof top.

Not sure I like either solution. It makes that suggestion for a wireless xmitter/receiver attractive.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 01-03-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    These are a little expensive but you can take them with you when you sell the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digita...+hdmi+extender
    Do you use this product? I do and have only been able to get it to work twice, not impressed. I am planning to do what the OP is wanting to do. Hoping he does it first so he can show me how.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry no, I have not. I did use one about the third of that price and worked great if you were in the same room but it failed when I put the transmitter on the living room TV and receiver on the bedroom TV. Also, it would only do 720. This is when I owned the 310GK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopperud View Post
    Do you use this product? I do and have only been able to get it to work twice, not impressed. I am planning to do what the OP is wanting to do. Hoping he does it first so he can show me how.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way I would recommend a Plenum rated CAT6 cable, its little more rigid and usually you get a better grade of copper.

"Install it correctly once, not twice"
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the same thing in our 2018 337RLS. Removed fireplace and went out with the other cables at the bottom of the slide. Inside the frame at the same cutout, back outside the frame near the dock station, then across the basement 'ceiling' inside the partition wall entering the dresser and ending on the forward (closet) side of the dresser. So far, so good.

barry

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IF I have to do it again, I will likely do the same, exiting the slide at the floor and following the existing loom. However, I have considered using a corner mold for concealing wiring to go from the fireplace-side 'end table' up to the upper cabinet, through the cabinet and into the 'attic'. I know there is maybe 3-4 inches of space in the bathroom fan area between the ceiling and the 'roof'. Grand Design already uses this path for their existing cabling from the doc center to the bedroom. The biggest unknown is the amount of cavity space at the rear of the coach, given the profile.