User Tag List

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I-90NY Albany to Southern NH coast Rt 2 or Mass Pike?

The map shown on my iPad has a route shooting almost due east from the Troy/Albany area to Rt 2 to traverse the entire state of MASSACHUSETTS. When I expand the map, there’s no major route to connect to Rt 2; moreover, Bruce has travelled that route, but can’t remember if it’s TT friendly (work mode). So, the question is, do we go the extra miles/do the extra time on the road to go via the Mass Pike, or take the direct route? Has anyone taken their trailer across MA via Rt 2?
    Nancy and Bruce
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whenever I'm not sure I use Google Maps, look at the satellite view and zoom in for the entire route. It takes awhile, but it gives you an idea what to expect. I also check for truck restrictions along the route, if there are none, I know I'm good. There is certainly less to worry about with a TT compared to a fifth wheel, but it's good to have an idea what you're getting yourself into. Sorry I can't give any other advice on your specific route.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Houndbb View Post
    The map shown on my iPad has a route shooting almost due east from the Troy/Albany area to Rt 2 to traverse the entire state of MASSACHUSETTS. When I expand the map, there’s no major route to connect to Rt 2; moreover, Bruce has travelled that route, but can’t remember if it’s TT friendly (work mode). So, the question is, do we go the extra miles/do the extra time on the road to go via the Mass Pike, or take the direct route? Has anyone taken their trailer across MA via Rt 2?
    Nancy and Bruce
    Nancy and Bruce,
    I have driven both of those routes in the past couple of years. Route 2 is not trailer friendly, lots of grades and narrow highway. The Mass Pike is an easy drive, at least to Worcester. You can pick up 295 there and then 495 north toward your destination in NH. The Mass Pike is a toll road, same as is the NYS Thruway.
    The traffic in eastern Massachusetts is horrible and from Worcester eastward it will be trying. Avoid traveling during commute time.
    Alternatively you could go north on I 87 to state Rt 7 east and go thru Troy. Follow 7 as it becomes Vermont Route 9, follow the signs for Brattleboro. Now this does take you over the mountains, same as route 2 but it’s much better road. Once you reach Brattleboro, stay on 9 into New Hampshire. It’s a beautiful drive. Follow 9 into Keene and then take 101 across to the coast.
    So it all depends on what’s important to you. If it was me, I’d take the 7 and 9 route.
    Oh, and here’s another alternative, take 90 to Springfield and then 91 north to 9 east in Brattleboro. It’s longer, has some tolls, but is an easier drive.
    Keith
    Keithb
    Upstate New York
    2018 Reflection 303RLS built 08/2017
    2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab w/6.0 L gas
    Reese 16K Slider, SteadyFast System

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Keith! Bruce’s instinct was to stick to the Mass Pike. He seems to like your last alternative. I DO so love that creamy VT cheddar at the top of Hogback, but not while we’re hauling the trailer.
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithb View Post
    Alternatively you could go north on I 87 to state Rt 7 east and go thru Troy. Follow 7 as it becomes Vermont Route 9, follow the signs for Brattleboro. Now this does take you over the mountains, same as route 2 but it’s much better road. Once you reach Brattleboro, stay on 9 into New Hampshire. It’s a beautiful drive. Follow 9 into Keene and then take 101 across to the coast.
    Keith
    We sometimes follow this route when we go to the races in New Hampshire at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon.

Another route to consider is to continue up 87 to Glens Falls, then take Route 4 across Vermont, then Interstate 89 to Concord, then either 101 or 4 to the coast. Both drives are very nice, we normally prefer the Northern route when we are going to the races in Loudon. The down side is that the drive is not a leisure one, both routes have areas that are a bit twisty and hilly and you will be using your brakes a lot. Be sure your trailer brakes are in tip top shape, you will need them. The plus side is that it is a beautiful drive through the mountains with several places to stop if you have the time. If you go the northern route, stop in Woodstock, nice little town. If you have time to stay a night or two, consider a stay at Quechee in Vermont. There is a nice KOA there as well as a state campground that I think can accommodate large trailers.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keithb View Post
    Alternatively you could go north on I 87 to state Rt 7 east and go thru Troy.
    One other note, Route 7 through Troy can be a bit of a pain, pretty tight and lots of stop lights. If you choose this route, try to avoid going through this area during commute times and during lunch hours if you can. Not the end of the world if you do get stuck in traffic here as it is not a long stretch, but if you can avoid high traffic times, I would.

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoElkhounds View Post
    We sometimes follow this route when we go to the races in New Hampshire at the New Hampshire Motor Speedway in Loudon.

Another route to consider is to continue up 87 to Glens Falls, then take Route 4 across Vermont, then Interstate 89 to Concord, then either 101 or 4 to the coast. Both drives are very nice, we normally prefer the Northern route when we are going to the races in Loudon. The down side is that the drive is not a leisure one, both routes have areas that are a bit twisty and hilly and you will be using your brakes a lot. Be sure your trailer brakes are in tip top shape, you will need them. The plus side is that it is a beautiful drive through the mountains with several places to stop if you have the time. If you go the northern route, stop in Woodstock, nice little town. If you have time to stay a night or two, consider a stay at Quechee in Vermont. There is a nice KOA there as well as a state campground that I think can accommodate large trailers.

DAN
    Thanks, Dan, and to all who responded so quickly. Nice to know if we were on the road, second guessing our route, we’d get some good advice.
    Dan, all good destinations for future trips. We actually spent a Halloween weekend at the Woodstock Inn. Arrived about 9:30pm to a costume party in full swing-told to find the brewmaster, dressed as Jesus in order to check in. Brewed a couple of batches Saturday, cleaned up on Sunday. We made “Pig’s Ear” and some other dark ale they were running short on. Brewers Weekend, package deal, good food, great beer, good time had by all.
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Brewers Weekend, package deal, good food, great beer, good time had by all.”

Ok, caveat here, Bruce has been back to Woodstock for work several times since then and the brewery has gone downhill and so has the restaurant. That’s sad, but I didn’t want to leave my last post as a current endorsement. However, the natural setting of the area is still beautiful, and worthy of a visit. Covered bridges and granite lined creeks to wander along. What’s not to enjoy?
    N
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've done rt2 countless times without a trailer. I wouldn't be afraid to do it with a diesel truck, but not with your Chevy 1500. As mentioned, it is somewhat narrow 2 lane road with a lot of steep grades between Troy,NY and Charlemont,Ma
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4