User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with NE trip

The wife and I are looking for ideas for a NE trip this summer. We will be out for 2 weeks and coming out of NC. Last year's trip was through Northern Michigan and we had a great time! We are looking for suggestions to must see locations in the NE and potential camping areas...

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum! Glad you could join us.

Are you looking at any states in particular? We're headed that way too this summer. It will be a long haul from Arizona, but my dad lives in Maine and will be celebrating his 90th.

What are your interests? History, museums, attractions, theme parks, etc?

Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bpayne View Post
    The wife and I are looking for ideas for a NE trip this summer. We will be out for 2 weeks and coming out of NC. Last year's trip was through Northern Michigan and we had a great time! We are looking for suggestions to must see locations in the NE and potential camping areas...
    As Jim asked a better idea of your interests would help. In general terms I would suggest Acadia NP, Maine and New Hampshire seacoasts, the White Mountains of N.H., Boston. For history. There are some nice CG’s outside Boston as well as Cape Cod.
    In two weeks you can’t see it all, but those are some high lights to start with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Reflection 27RL
    2017 GMC 2500

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide on trying Acadia as part of your trip, I can help with any details there you might be interested in. Our sticks & bricks for the past 10 years has been just outside the park.
    Have fun putting your trip together.

-Al
    Al and Kathe
    House: Bass Harbor, Maine
    Home: Wherever we're parked
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Highlighted states are those we have camped in for at least one night in our Solitude.
    2018 Solitude 310GK 110463 (Rhett) / 2018 F350 CC DRW 4x4 Lariat (Scarlett)
    Follow us: http://lobstersontheloose.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typically we are interested in outdoor activities...Kayaking, Hiking, Fishing, ect. We were looking at stopping for a few days in the White Mountain area then either heading to Maine or New York toward Finger Lake but we have no experience in these NE area. However, looking into the Acadia NP we may set this as a point of interest. Could you suggest some good camping areas and must see attractions?

We will be traveling in a 2018 Reflection 337 RLS pulled by a 2019 Chevy 3500. Any concerns with managing the local roads in the area?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wherever you decide to go, start making reservations now, the rv parks in New England are generally on the smaller side and rv parks in the most popular destinations fill up fast. If you need big rig friendly, even more important to make reservations now.

We like these rv parks in New England: In Boston area, Normandy Farms, in White Mountains of New Hampshire, Danforth Bay Camping Resort, in Maine, Bar Harbor KOA, and Sugar Ridge in Vermont. Not New England, but Lake George RV Park in Adirondacks of New York is sensational.

A great scenic tow would be thru Franconia Notch in New Hampshire or Crawford Notch in New Hampshire or the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We once flew to Manchester, NH and rented a car. Little did we know that the distance from there to Sydney, NS on the north end of Cape Breton Island is about the same as from here in NW Alabama to Manchester. After spending a week up there, we found the lobster shacks and beautiful ocean villages in Maine--specifically around Camden.

And we weren't paying 15% sale taxes and were able to buy beer far cheaper than $12.99 a six pack.

The maritime Maine coastline is absolutely breathtaking. Camden's harbor was full of tall sailing ships and schooners, and it was like a beautiful picture. We much better preferred that region over Canada's coastline.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you like to hike and kayak, Acadia is your best bet. It has some of the best hiking I have ever done. The views when you reach the top of the mountains are spectacular. There are so many trails of differing types, there is just no way to beat it. You can stroll along Jordan Pond, hike through the Bubbles, climb any number of mountains, do some really hair raising hikes along cliffs using hand holds and ladders, take your pick. Many lakes to Kayak on. They have miles of carriage trails you can ride bikes on. Then you have Bar Harbor for a nice stroll and dinner. Then there is of course the lobster dinners every other night at your camp site. We try to go every couple years, it never gets old. If you are driving all this way, Acadia is the only choice in my opinion, you can spend your entire two weeks there easily.

When we go to Acadia, we stay at Smuggler's Den in Southwest Harbor. It is a decent campground in a nice location and everything is within a reasonable drive. Spot 87 is a really nice spot if you can get it!

DAN
    2016 Reflection 323BHS
    2006 5.9L Ram Megacab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In NY our favorite area for hiking & canoeing is the Adirondacks. And in CT we enjoyed Mystic Seaport. There are also many places to kayak in NH & Vermont.
    What I do is go on the individual states DEC / DER websites & look for boat launches.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK