User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Window seal when doing a replacement

After a mishap on our trip (me forgetting to look back and up in my mirrors when pulling into a campsite), I have a window I need to replace. I've got the window on order, but I'm trying to figure out the right sealant.

I see others here suggest butyl tape for the window seal, but GD used some gray 1/2" wide foam to seal the window at the factory. The guy at the RV parts department said to use 3m VHB tape (an "automotive" product used to bond body trim to panels). I've used this before and I don't think that level of stick is required here since the window and frame technically clamp from the outside and inside to the wall. Also, they don't sell that stuff in thicknesses large enough to span the gap.

I see single sided stuff in the local Ace, but could not find any information how waterproof it is or the lifespan. Package says it only has a 3 year warranty and at that price, it seems to be too cheap to last.

I ran across a site that makes custom RV windows and they sell "double side adhesive, closed cell foam tape" on their site for window repair. I guess I can order from there. I guess I'm just perplexed what exactly to use. Perhaps I'm too obsessed about getting the right product.

Besides butyl tape, what have you used when replacing a window?
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used on our previous trailers silicone for outdoor use. I put a pretty good bead around the window and reset it into the wall of the camper. Clean and wipe excess with a damp paper towel.

Brian

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used butyl tape. I have also used Eternabond double seal but then you can never get the window out next time if you have a mishap again.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve got a door I just had shipped from GDRV via a dealer to replace one some idiots tore up trying to break into our unit while in storage. I will be using butyl tape behind the flange and then an RV grade clear silicone to seal the perimeter. This should be similar to the method used at the factory but I am not certain that is how it was done. Good luck!
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried a couple different brands, best I found was Permatite 250-H Butyl Rubber Base Tape, -40 to 250 Degree F Temperature, 0.125" Thick, 30' Length x 3/4" Width.
    Seemed to be high quality butyl tape, extremely sticky.
    http://www.permatite.com/tapes-permatite-250H.php
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After inspecting the existing sealant on the broken window, I'm 90% confident gray PVC closed cell foam weatherstripping was used. It has adhesive only on one side. This is similar to the "high density foam tape - weather strip" sold in home improvement stores. I was initially cautious about using this since it's so cheap and I could not find technical data on how it performs with UV or waterproofing. After detailed research, I have found that PVC foam tape as "excellent" UV resistance as well as being hydrophobic and waterproof if compressed enough.

I'm going to use that when I get the replacement window. I think it will also allow for easier installation compared to butyl tape or caulk. I suspect that's why GD used it originally during assembly. Granted ease of assembly should not be the primary factor in deciding a sealant, I think it's acceptable in this usage.
    2017 Solitude 377MBS
    2018 Ram 2500 with diesel and air assist suspension.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds good. Maybe give a report when done please.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    x2 on silicone
    Steve
    2017 F350 6.7 Lariat DRW
    2017 Momentum 388M
    North of Houston

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a window that I need to replace as well. When Tropical Storm Alberto came through last year, I had water coming through one of my side rear windows that sits directly under the downspout. I mean it was really coming in. Diana was on the inside with towels and I was on the outside with foul weather gear sealing anything that I could. I stopped the water from coming in, but the window is a mess, so I'll swap it out this summer.

I'll be watching this thread closely for tips and ideas.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW